FRONT BRAKES, WHEEL CYLINDERS AND OTHER STUFF

Volvo TGB and 30X (303/304/306) mods and resto work, news, resources and non-technical stuff
OUTBACK
United States of America

FRONT BRAKES, WHEEL CYLINDERS AND OTHER STUFF

Post by OUTBACK »

Work on the front axle is just about done. So far the portal bearings, CVs, CV boots and brake lines have all been replaced. Timken bearings where possible, chromoly CV joints, Silicone CV Boots and new brake lines (ALL OF THEM) have been installed. The original portal bearings were absolutely perfect. I went ahead and had all the original ones replaced and will keep the old ones. On another note, my new front axle brake shoes, wheel cylinders and new return springs have just arrived from Sweden. These should be installed sometime next week. I will let you know when they are done.

Tomorrow ive have an electrician coming in to wire in a 220V plug for my compressor and welders. When he is done I will head to Home Depot and get a stack of 1" Copper tubing and fittings to set up my air system in the garage. I have big plans for the compressor and welders for this rig. I also plan to turn my garage into a paint booth so to speak. Cant wait to show you the build as she comes along. Right now everything is pretty much unseeable except for those new brake lines. Stay tuned.

Moving sucks but at least I have something bigger than a bread box for a garage this time. MISS my old workshop!
OUTBACK
United States of America

Re: FRONT BRAKES, WHEEL CYLINDERS AND OTHER STUFF

Post by OUTBACK »

Front axle and brakes have been completely rebuilt. I ordered new drums as well. I figured since everything else was new I should spend the extra money and finish off with new drums. The only issue I am having now which is common is I cannot get all the air out of the lines. We've tried a vacuum system as well as the standard way of bleeding brakes. So what am I missing? IS there another bleed valve somewhere in the system I'm missing? Thanks for any help.

Mike
Uli-RT
Germany

Re: FRONT BRAKES, WHEEL CYLINDERS AND OTHER STUFF

Post by Uli-RT »

If you haven't had any success yet, here is another tip. One of the highest points in the braking system is with the brake boosters. There is no vent screw here. You can only open the banjo screw and try to get some air out of the system.
Otherwise, the only thing that helps is a lot of patience and a lot of brake fluid.

Uli