Some updates on my C303, Hello from WA

Volvo TGB and 30X (303/304/306) mods and resto work, news, resources and non-technical stuff
MadMax

Some updates on my C303, Hello from WA

Post by MadMax »

Been a while, thought I would post some picks of the summer's projects so far. I sold my 97 honda to get $ for working on the volvo, though I still have no garage to put around it and get to the serious work.

In the mean time, I redid my canopy and raised the roof on it so I could sand and paint my roof rack, which I removed when we got it so I could park it under the old canopy. After a few years, the rack was getting really nasty and starting to rust and I did not want it going to the dogs any further. (Well, that and the prohibitive cost of trying to replace it with something similar. That is a great motivator for recycling.) Its amazing what a visual difference it makes when it is on the truck.

Heres the rack all sanded and pretty again

and in place

The canopy itself is 6mil nylon string reinforced polyvinyl. I'll never use a tarp again. Even without grommets, just running the bungees through a hole in the plastic between the string grid was good enough to last 4+ years in WA weather without drying/cracking, rips or holes. Comes on a 20'x200' roll.

I have new tabs and it is insured again, so I can drive it legal like. Its running fine, but next on my list is to have a thorough tune up and replace some things. ED to replace the points system, new wires and plugs, fuel filter, starter coil. I have to trace a couple of shorts or a broken ground for the fuel and oil temp gauges.

The fan shaft is rattling like a Panzer tank when I drive, its got a good 1/4" of play in it at the universal joint. Replacing that unit with an electric puller fan is on the list as well before I go any distance with it.

It is amazing to me how hard it is to find someone who knows how to work on an engine with points. lol

Anyways, I hope all is well with everyone! That you again for being here, this place is an invaluable asset to our community.
Where science and technology fail, art survives.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Re: Some updates on my C303, Hello from WA

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Nice garage! I wish I had something like that, although around here it would be for the sun protection.

The pertronix I had worked perfectly. Those points are annoying and ancient!

Those gauges are finicky little things. Im not sure you'll ever get them to work just right, at least I never figured out why I got the bouncing so much.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Mad Max,
Is your truck up for a bit of a drive? Our seventeenth annual will be held at Waldersee Farm, just two hundred miles south of Gig Harbor. This year, we are anticipating at least a half dozen Volvo C-series trucks. You and your beautiful example would be most welcome.

If interested, please go to: http://www.northwestmogfest.com/invite
Scroll down and click on "RSVP for NWMF..." and take it from there.

Hope to see you soon.
Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
Sheridan, Oregon
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I wish I could come to mogfest this year! I've been wanting to attend since we got this thing and will one day. Sadly, until i've done a few things and had a proper mechanic go over it, I don't feel it is ready for any travel beyond the local gas station and back. I'm still making progress, albeit slowly. The volvo is in better shape now than when I got her, so thats my yardstick for progress.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Vince, I think I understand what you mean by "sun," though I am not so directly familiar with it here in WA. You can see this bright spot between clouds sometimes that makes rainbows, if thats what you mean.
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Mad Max,
Consider coming down even if you cannot bring your truck. Is your noisy fan due to the fan bearings being shot? If so, we may have a solution if you want to stay with the standard set-up.
Take care.

Jim Molloy
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

The fan bearings on the universal joint where the shaft connects have about 1/4" of play in them. I am very ready to switch to an electric fan, though I do admit there is a particular audible quality to the rattle when at the right speed, similar to the sound a Panzer tank makes, which is oddly pleasing to me but can be intimidating to others.
Doccers

Post by Doccers »

Hey, Max! Glad to see you got to keep the Volvo, I had thought you sold it and was sad to hear it.

In some bizarre twist of fate, I think I may have just moved in nearby you - Port Orchard, WA.

I think I may have the original mechanical fan and all the joints for it in boxes here somewhere, I'll see if they made the move or not (there was quite the scramble at the end).

Regardless, I'd enjoy meeting up with you sometime and have a look at your 303. My 304 just made the trek all the way from Colorado to here, with the only casualty being a clipped wire from the Start Assist solenoid. :)

MAN do the carbs love this low altitude, so much more power down here!

-Doccers
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Hey doccers, check your PMs! Good to hear from you!