C303 B30 Electronic Distributer

Volvo TGB and 30X (303/304/306) mods and resto work, news, resources and non-technical stuff
m15256
United States of America

C303 B30 Electronic Distributer

Post by m15256 »

I may not be looking in the correct places here but I can't find a discussion about experiences/advice on electronic ignition replacements. I am sure Petronix can provide a 24V neg ground pick up.

I was wondering is anyone had tried the 123 Ignition Distributers.

Any input woulds be appreciated.

Thanks, Rick
MadMax

Re: C303 B30 Electronic Distributer

Post by MadMax »

I have read of both the Pertronix Ignitor I & II as well as the 123 Ignition setups working well with the C series, though the 123 is a complete distributor replacement (if I recall correctly) and the ignitor is simply a small device which fits inside your existing distributor cap, replacing the points. Depends on what you want to do, but there are a few posts here on the topic from folks who have done it.

I am in the process of going with the Ignitor (#1868) and the flamethrower epoxy filled coil to replace my points and old bosch coil on my B30A. This is the best package price I could find on both:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignitor-Electro ... 1593743067
Where science and technology fail, art survives.
m15256
United States of America

Post by m15256 »

The 123 sales pitch is that because they replace the ENTIRE distributer all of the wobble resulting from worn shaft/bushing is eliminated. Whereas the Petronix is just a pick up mounted in the existing Bosche.

"Michael's" forum on c303 over in Germany (the computer does the translation) seems to have a discussion about the subject that goes on at length. One person there noted that you can't let the 123 get wet. (???)

I do think that you have to convert the distributer to 12 V for the 123 as they don't list a 24V.

The cost difference alone between the two options is significant. And I didn't get a blank checkbook to go along with the Volvo.

Thanks,
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

Either option will work well enough. I have a 123 Dist in mine. I certainly would not deep ford mine without prepping the 123 first but I learned my lesson about fording deep water and the service required afterwards to remove water from the drive train so I avoid it. The 123 requires very low amperage so a small 24-12V adapter can be utilized for a couple bucks.