Volvo 2 - What not another one - WR6973

Volvo TGB and 30X (303/304/306) mods and resto work, news, resources and non-technical stuff
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Re: Volvo 2 - What not another one

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Well I feel better seeing all that junk cut off there. :)
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

1 December 2016

Had some free time tonight so decided to try and remove the flat tire and start removing the wiring loom or do the rollcage.

So first task get this flat tyre off finally. Heat 3 minutes one side of the nut and then about 60 seconds on the other whack the breaker bar with the Russian 4lb screw driver a couple of times and hey presto I had a result.

I decided it was late so started on the rollcage template and see how the sketch looks like in full size. I will finish it all off on Saturday so far its looking good.
Last edited by geckoadventure on Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

Looks good BUT, PVC tubing isn't gonna help in a roll over :lol:

John
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

3 December 2016

Had a few hours after the Kids CSR day at work so off to the Volvo with the repaired tire.

Started pulling the wiring loom while the light was good this truck is just full of surprises rodent nest

inside the dash sigh. I'm still expecting a snake to slither out.

The rodent nest

Finally got the tire back on after cleaning up the ends of the studs with a cutting wheel to emove the burrs

etc. Cheeck the other wheels all te same need to be heate removed and then cleaneed up and re-atached sigh

need another 2 butane bottles lol.

4 December 2016 Sunday

Told wife going to help someone on a PINZ lol. Headed over and started on the removal of the wiring loom and

everything from the dash.

By the end of the day I have removed the dash panel and labeled the wire ends.

The brake/clutch pedal bracket sigh its been bent by someone over pushing on the brakes HARD and rewelded

what a mess. Need to strip it off repair, remove rust and the ugly chicken poop welding reweld, and

repaint.

Still trying to figure how I will get a 36 year old wiring loom out of the fire wall. I think I will have to

cut it and label every wire sigh.

Worked on the PVC rollcage then time for home as the whole of next week is on Volvo 1
Last edited by geckoadventure on Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Well its in the panel shop queue. pics later
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

April 2017

The Volvo 2 has a new name "BADASS".

The tow truck picked it up from the current secret location.

Then it was ready to transport to the next stage of it's transformation into BADASS.

Then it arrived at the panel shop. So shocked they were they locked the doors lol.

Daylight inspection shows the damage.

Right rear cross member missing. Middle Bent from a bad recovery the wire and the left side also BENT. It will be cut off and replaced by me later at the RACE shop.

The inside is a mess floors non existant.

Front is pretty bashed up as is the top of the cabin.

However, Rahmat says all fixable and I'm welcome to come down when they start and work on the truck also.

It's now in the queue in the workshop Stage 2 will commence when they finish the current jaloppies,

Including a 1968 mustang and a 1950's chevy.
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

You like a challenge, don't you! :lol:

John
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

I'm not at all envious this time around. :shock:

geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

12 June 201

Great news the panel shop rung me requesting permission to replace interior panels in Volvo 2 they have commenced work on it.

I will get pics when I can. Maybe this saturday.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

7 September 2017

They asked me to go down visit Volvo 2 as they had made progress and cabin not long from being separated from chassis.

Took them lunch also. THis is the first view I got neat Rhamat and crew working on it.

Bracing on the inside some work had been done on the front sides to pull the panels out to make them all flush again.

The rear view nothing to see here.

Inside view then the cheeky workshop cat decided I had food and started to investigate next time I will take him food. YUp the floor is rotten and are some of the interior panels.

Rahmat starts dreaming when its all finished I can go for a ride in it - maybe - lol

Yup its uite messy inside

Drivers floor is non existant. I have given them a plan to follow to make it easy to restore.

I like it.

Now the plan.

Next week late the cabin comes off. I take the chasssis to the workshop and we start work on the rollcage and the new rear tray. Will make a decision in the engine and gearbox. Once all done then the suspension and be done and by that time the cabin should be ready to be reinstalled (XMAS) just like a real car manufacturing production line lol.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Still sure that one isn't too far gone? That's some severe corrosion.

geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

VinceAtReal4x4s wrote:Still sure that one isn't too far gone? That's some severe corrosion.
Yes but Rahmat has restored cars dug outta the ground he says it's not that bad and he will save it. He learn't his craft in NZ for 7+ years. Others I have talked to say his work is on another level way above the local bondi fillers we find here.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

9 September 2017

So Saturday visit to Volvo 2. Clean the truck then see what else can be done. Clean out all the putty from the cabin join and see all the rust in the joint area sigh such a negelected Volvo. I remove the side windows and finally the cabin strip is completed.

Out comes the pressure washer and it just blasts holes in the rust in the cabin. The chassis is fine and all the years of mud get washed off. No other issues with the chassis found apart from the rear cross member issue.

OMG the pressure washer just disintergrated the floor.

So after the wash we decide to see how bad the rsut is and any repairs have been done. We heat the paint and peel off sections to see where the damage is we find a TREE hit with a poor repair above and below the grill resulting in rust underneath which means bith sections need to be replaced. The quality of the old repair work is well shonkey to say the least.

End of the day its hometime all I have is a pile of peeled off bodyfiller and paint on the floor and the tar seal from the inner floor with about 30% left still to stripp out.

From here on its all posative as they can finally start the rust removal surgery.

Went and called in at the other workshop had dinner with the them and they will store the VOlvo chassis in the new paint shop until their workshop relocastion is completed. Anyway we have a plan we can execute.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

16 September 2017

Visit to Volvo 2 cabin workshop

First the cheeky workshop cat.

They have done tonnes of work stripping the paint off with a heat gun looking for holes and repairs etc.

The rear looks ok apart from the rear panel it has a few bad spots.

Then I started on the cabin template from plywood/ Next weekend will finish the front side so we can build the roll cage while the cabin gets surgery.
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

Shouldn't you finish Volvo No:1 first? This looks like a lot of work even if all you are going to do is the cab!

John