volvo tgb in usa

Volvo TGB and 30X (303/304/306) mods and resto work, news, resources and non-technical stuff
Terra1936
United States of America

volvo tgb in usa

Post by Terra1936 »

any idea of how many Volvo C30x's are in the United States?
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Re: volvo tgb in usa

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

There's no way to know anymore. Back when I imported what I believe were the first two legal 303 imports, in about 2002, there were probably just a few trucks total. I know a couple had leaked in through a scammer importer in Canada just before I imported the first two from Sweden. That guy exported a couple that weren't legal in the US yet. I have no idea what happened to them over time, but I know at least one was in Washington and driving on the roads in 1999 or 2000.

The reason for my numbers guess is due to availability at the time. A couple civil ones had come up for sale around the year 2000, I think it was, but they were usually really rusted or just not legal yet. The internet was still very new, esp. in Europe/Sweden and 4x4 ads basically didn't exist plus the military hadn't really released anything yet, which is where 99% come from these days. It really ramped up around 2006 it seems. My crazy wild guess is between 150-200 trucks now but I might be way off!
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Terra1936
United States of America

Post by Terra1936 »

Thanks! I see all sorts of photos of guys using them in Europe and only a few I can identify in the US. Some of the other forums I have been in have a sound off board with the state you have your vehicle in. Ever seen one of those for the Volvo's? C30X's
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

There are too many forums and social platforms now so info gets spread thinner and thinner, esp. with facebook and the groups on there foolishly posting tech advice that will be almost impossible to find. Also factor in the nature of a lot of exotic 4x4 guys who don't use the internet much (something i aspire to more and more) much less speak about what they have, or care to bother with something like that, and you'd be lucky to gather much volume information. You could always start a thread and ask people.

Terra1936
United States of America

Post by Terra1936 »

Great Advise! I did! I agree there is a ton of information out there that no one can find (Unless you have unlimited time). I am glad I found this board! :D
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Terra1936,
Do you have a first name you are willing to share? I know VinceAtReal4x4s is Vince Sweeney. Vince has been a true treasure of information over the years. Very greatly appreciated. Another tremendous source for information in the past in Phil Raymond. His beautiful TGB 11 pop-top camper was featured in one of the 4WD magazines years ago. Unfortunately, that was also the time when many Volvo trucks were being cannibalized for their portal axles. They were THE axles to have if you owned a Jeep, Toyota P/U, Land Cruiser or Land Rover. The ONE transplant that I would have completely understood and welcomed was those axles under a Land Rover FC101. Who knows just how many Volvo C30X trucks lost their legs and were then scrapped.

To date, our family has owned a total of five C-series trucks:
1975 TGB 11 -converted to civilian fire service after only six months of military duty. Now in Moser, Oregon
1976 TGB 1111 -now living in Olympia, WA
1976 C303 -ex-Vattenfall utility truck -purchased without axles from LinDen Engineering in Colorado. Far too rusty to restore so disassembled for parts
1976 TGB 1314 -we converted to diesel using a Mercedes OM617A powerplant mated to modified Volvo bellhousing -still on the farm burning biodiesel
1975 AluZn TGB 11 -still going strong on the farm but will eventually receive an OM617A

As usual, Vince has hit the nail squarely on the head. There are information sources out there that have dried up and much has been scattered to the wind over time. In the Pacific Northwest, there seems to be a growing community of TGB/C30X owners. At this year's Northwest MogFest (August 16th-19th), it looks like we will have upwards of a dozen Volvo C30X trucks present.

Hope this helps.
Take care and best wishes in your search for knowledge.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee farm
Sheridan, Oregon
http://northwestmogfest.com
Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

If you have deep pockets $$$$$, Hedges can run a report for you.
They have access to all US DMV's and can slice and dice.

https://hedgescompany.com/automotive-ma ... marketing/
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Thanks Jim. Yes, Phil is probably the most knowledgeable guy in the US on these trucks but you won't catch him posting information anywhere. He was the one of, if not the first, legal owner in the US (I imported and customized that first Volvo he had).

I'm partially responsible for that axle craze so long ago. I imported many sets of them but they came out of the most interesting junkyard I've ever seen in Sweden. When I was over there truck hunting, I was taken to this place that was basically a TGB graveyard. There were wrecked trucks, some without cabs, some just beat up beyond repair, etc.. I made a deal to take all axles that were not on an operable truck. I sold many pairs here to rock-buggy and mud bogger guys. A couple pairs were bought for spares for a Volvo owner too. I think it's the only time in my life when I actually made a little money! ://

I didn't know about Hedges, although I have to wonder how they would sort 303/TGB's since I have seen many different ways that the DMV's choose to label them. Often just being called a "van" or SUV of some kind. Maybe partially matching up the unique VIN's? The older Gwagens are often same way. I don't think my title says "300GD" on it.

Pics are of the two early ones I bought in from Sweden way back when I had a shop. (My red one had come in from the UK). Phil's was getting a flex test and the other one I sold to a guy on the east coast somewhere; it was a museum quality truck. Both were stripped down and painted with custom winch bumpers (Phil's had a rear winch as well!), new wood rails, custom seats, much improved Flowmaster exhaust, LED lights and other upgrades, the best of which was moving the gas cap to the side of the body! I never saw a pic of or heard about the second truck again.
Attachments
tanone1.jpg
tanone1.jpg (35.54 KiB) Viewed 1763 times
Tan303web.jpg
Tan303web.jpg (108.52 KiB) Viewed 1763 times

Terra1936
United States of America

Post by Terra1936 »

They look awesome and I love the passion!
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

Vince,
As the Volvo axle craze started to die down, I located a pair of unaltered 4x4 axles at a price far below where they had been. I figured a set of spares would be nice and some consideration was given to converting the TGB 1314 to the faster differentials. Replacing the stock B30A with the faster spinning OM617A and the resolution to simply drive a slower (that the 4x4) 6x6 truck has allowed me to keep the faster axles in reserve. The ex-ambulance camper has an evolvoing elephant theme so slow and lumbering seems a good fit.

Your red truck and Phil's tan one have always been an inspiration toward excellence. I would look at those and think, "If only Volvo would choose to produce those NOW!" From the first time I saw the modified fuel filler arrangement on your trucks, I knew that was a modification worth the effort. Since the list of
to complete the conversion were elusive and readily forthcoming, I did the obvious. Research. It took a little effort but I was not only able to put together a list of the necessary parts but I also discovered some other NOS parts that allowed for greater flexibility and more options for filler bezel placement. Being one who enjoys sharing such information freely, I published the factory part numbers on the Volvo C303 Yahoo Groups list years ago. If anyone in interested in getting those part number now, feel free to ask and I will be happy to share the knowledge.

Vince, thank you again for paving the for so many of us and for remaining such a valuable resource to this day. You have an open invitation in our home.
Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
Sheridan, Oregon
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
tgbforwardthinking@gmail.com