Sound Off if you have a Volvo C30X

Volvo TGB and 30X (303/304/306) mods and resto work, news, resources and non-technical stuff
Terra1936
United States of America

Sound Off if you have a Volvo C30X

Post by Terra1936 »

Ok, in a quest for answers to the quantity of TGB's left on the planet. Please post your year, model, country and city.
Many sites claim 8718 manufactured total in all models.
I am in San Diego, California USA and have a 1975 C303
Only 8717 left to find out about.
Thanks!
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Re: Sound Off if you have a Volvo C30X

Post by Jim Molloy »

Hello to all.

To date, our family has owned a total of five C-series trucks:
1975 TGB 11 -converted to civilian fire service after only six months of military duty. Now in Moser, Oregon
1976 TGB 1111 -now living in Olympia, WA
1976 C303 -ex-Vattenfall utility truck -purchased without axles from LinDen Engineering in Colorado. Far too rusty to restore so disassembled for parts
1976 TGB 1314 -we converted to diesel using a Mercedes OM617A powerplant mated to modified Volvo bellhousing -still on the farm burning biodiesel
1975 AluZn TGB 11 -still going strong on the farm but will eventually receive an OM617A as well.

Looks like we may have as many as a dozen Volvo C30X trucks attending Northwest MogFest in mid-August.
Hope this helps.
Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
Sheridan, Oregon
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
tgbforwardthinking@gmail.com
Throne
United States of America

Post by Throne »

Hi Hi,
1975 C303 Civilian Version with pick-up truck style bed in San Diego, Ca. as well.
Gets its diff's locked every weekend. Terra 1936, you should come join us at the Blossom Valley Glider Port, we start arriving ~2:00 in the afternoon.

-Philip
Firewrx612

Post by Firewrx612 »

1975 TGB11 Boston MA

I bought it in April.
m15256
United States of America

Post by m15256 »

1975 TGB 11
Vineyard Haven MA

All original except for a couple of front seats that somebody must have lifted out of a Chevelle. Had to replace the rusted out roof hatch but found a NOS one in Denmark. Working my way through the fuel system to try to solve a hot starting issue. Found filters and diaphragm for the Filter King in England. Planning on going to the Vermont Overland Rally in September. Can't drive far or fast on the island so its almost the perfect vehicle. Sure has started a lot of conversations. Adding a backup light off of an M35. Got rid of that cheap dome light but found a beauty 24v cockpit light out of a DC3 that works great.

There was a Pinz 710 for sale on the island in the Spring.
It was pretty clean looking.
Attachments
DSCN1895.JPG
DSCN1895.JPG (519.59 KiB) Viewed 2008 times
Terra1936
United States of America

Post by Terra1936 »

awesome and thanks for the replies! Phillip are you by yourself in blossom valley? Sounds like fun. Looks we are down to about 8000 unclaimed so far! :D
brandonium
United States of America

Post by brandonium »

I've owned classics since my late 20's.. Decided to finally part with one so I could get a C303. I've owned an International Scout II since I was 19 (now 40) but decided to give her up for this endeavor. It'll go along side of my '71 Volvo 142e.
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

A mass of these were lost to rust, many more to racing and hacking up to make other vehicles. Another large group was bought up by militia and small military forces at auction (Auction policy changed to curb this activity). Recently the auctions have slowed or stopped all together and fresh trucks are not being fed into the market like they used to be. Likely many will be lost as they are disposed of by the military. So...there are not many of these floating around and the numbers reduce every year. Ultimately we are dealing with a pretty rare vehicle.

I have 1 C303 and a buddy has another I imported. So there’s 2 more down that are well cared for.
Terra1936
United States of America

Post by Terra1936 »

Thanks! Where?
brandonium
United States of America

Post by brandonium »

Birmingham, AL. I've never seen a 142 here or any 1-series Volvo in my 15 years of living here (originally from New Orleans) so I know I won't be seeing any C303's either.. since I would have by now if they were here.
Terra1936 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:54 pm Thanks! Where?
brandonium
United States of America

Post by brandonium »

My plans are to make this rig a well cared for civilian rebuild sort of like the orange C303 in the original brochure. My only two challenges right now are trusting a local shop with the work considering the type vehicle and having to rely more on a shop since I don't really have room in the garage since it is too big. I could fit the frame in there if I disassembled the cab which I will have to do anyways for the paint and body work. It's aluzinc so no rust just needs some tlc before a proper paint job and reassembly. The rest like portal rebuilds/enhancements, possibly b30 injection and stouter build and interior stuff is also on the table. I have a strange attraction to this thing then again people think my 142e is ugly.. and that's also a very hard Volvo to come upon these days. :D
dokatd wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:48 pm A mass of these were lost to rust, many more to racing and hacking up to make other vehicles. Another large group was bought up by militia and small military forces at auction (Auction policy changed to curb this activity). Recently the auctions have slowed or stopped all together and fresh trucks are not being fed into the market like they used to be. Likely many will be lost as they are disposed of by the military. So...there are not many of these floating around and the numbers reduce every year. Ultimately we are dealing with a pretty rare vehicle.

I have 1 C303 and a buddy has another I imported. So there’s 2 more down that are well cared for.
alaskossie

Post by alaskossie »

C303 6X6 (shorter wheelbase) in Anchorage, Alaska. Formerly an all-zinc body, 2-door cab with ambulance or radio box on the back; the original box is now off, and it has an 11-foot x 6-foot bed with drop sides. I purchased it through Classic Unimogs in Germany. I have owned it since 2009, but have not used it much; instead, planning a number of minors modifications, but need to find the time.

Also, I have a Unimog 406 ex-German air force aircraft tug and an MWG Esarco 8X8, both of which should get some attention also.