LED Light Conversion with Stock Reflectors

Volvo TGB and 30X (303/304/306) mods and resto work, news, resources and non-technical stuff
dokatd
United States of America

LED Light Conversion with Stock Reflectors

Post by dokatd »

Title pretty much says it all. No more yellow lights. Simple conversion to LED bulbs that accept 5-30V and fit in stock Hella reflectors with a 3D printed adapter. Adapter also allows standard modern bulbs from auto part store as well.

With bar light as well

And the part I made up

VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Re: LED Light Conversion with Stock Reflectors

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Any beam pattern pics before and after? What brand bulb? The purpose built sealed LED 7" lights seem to have a much better beam in general but I haven't tested conversions myself and can't afford a full LED (name brand) light.

I keep seeing or hearing about bad experiences with a most brands of LED replacement bulbs due to longevity and/or beam pattern issues. Seems like they are still a couple years away from solving the heat issues on most of the bulbs. I also noticed major bulb suppliers still not offering bulbs. You'd think Hella would make something by now but maybe they aren't comfortable with the engineering so far? I know one guy who put one of the endless Chinese brands out there into a Ford truck with good result so far but there's anxiety about when one will blow out. I think I'd carry a spare no matter what the marketing says.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

No before or after pattern pics, but the lens is stock. So for the most part the pattern does not change so long as the bulb is generally located in the same location. That’s kind of the beauty of this conversion. You get to keep the highly engineered Hella reflector and lens but now you can run any bulb led or halogen. With LED I certainly won’t get the ice melting heat anymore, but currently I live in Texas so...
dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

Finally got around to fixing a squawk on my clutch, and drove with the new headlights. They perform like the stock headlights, but brighter and white rather than Amber. They are very good lights at this point and I don’t have any desire to upgrade them any further at the moment. Well worth the plastic filament and the CAD time.