Onboard Tool Kit

Volvo TGB and 30X (303/304/306) mods and resto work, news, resources and non-technical stuff
AppleTech
United States of America

Onboard Tool Kit

Post by AppleTech »

Has anyone compiled (or know of a source) for a complete recommended onboard toolkit for the C303/TGB11 series? I'd like to compile a kit that would contain as many hand tools and necessary specialty tools for any roadside/trail repairs. Think of what you'd take with you if you were living out of your truck. Any pointers appreciated!!
m15256
United States of America

Re: Onboard Tool Kit

Post by m15256 »

I will bet that there are as many answers to that question as there are people that respond. I took public transportation and hitch hiked (in my 60's) to pick up my C303 sight unseen and drove it back through four states with fake plates. I think I had a pair of vice grips, Leatherman style knife, roll of tape and maybe a couple of screw drivers with me. Oh, and a point file. Everything worked out, but I wouldn't recommend that as a bench mark for planning a road trip. I know of people who pick up their trucks in company with chase vehicle loaded with tools. When I travel now I carry complete sets of sockets, combination wrenches, gasket making tools, wiring stuff and electrical tester, and a very heavy box of hand tools. No arbor press or welder or timing light. No air tools. I carry lots of spare parts. Not because I think I'll need them but just to be on the safe side and to some extent so I won't have to rely on somebody else. If I need to change distributor, carbs, starter, alternator, fuel pump, clutch cable, brake cylinders etc we're all set. If I break an axle or tear up the transfer case I'm not going anywhere without a tow or flat bed.

I think the answer to your question is what are YOU comfortable with? If you do your own work or most of your own work and have been dicking around with fixing stuff for your adult life you already know the answer to your own question. If you don't, then two rolling boxes full from Snap On aren't going to do you any good anyway. Although sitting beside the road with a broken truck can be a real motivator to learn new skills.

Good luck. Looking forward to the answers on this one. And all of them will be right for the person that writes them.
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Re: Onboard Tool Kit

Post by Jim Molloy »

AppleTech,
There are so many variables that one would need to take into consideration in building up a tool/spare parts/fluids/references inventory. Personal preferences, mechanical skill level, additional vehicles for support (if any), additional people for support (if any), space available to store these things and how remotely one plans to travel all play into the mix. My recommendations start with getting to know your vehicle as thoroughly as you feel you can. Crawl over, under and through the vehicle with a few wrenches and screwdivers and note just what is needed to remove any given part. What do you need to secure the fan drive shaft so it can be removed to replace one or both of the V-belts? What works best to remove driveshaft mounting hardware? Make a list! Next, I suggest you look at the tool set that is listed in the last pages of the factory parts manual. That tool kit was issued with each vehicle for a reason. Use that as a foundation. And while on the subject of manuals, I would suggest your travel with a set of operator's/parts/workshop manuals in both paper and digital forms. Knowledge is power. A clearly legible wiring diagram is extremely useful when chasing electrical gremlins in the wiring maelstrom found in the Volvo C303/304/306 cabs. I personally carry a small electrical tester and a pair of jumper wires with alligator clips as most of the issues I have encounter with my Volvos in nearly twenty years have been electical in nature. Ultimately, it is what you choose to bring along based on your personal needs.
Take care.

Jim Molloy