C303....tgb11

Volvo TGB and 30X (303/304/306) mods and resto work, news, resources and non-technical stuff
jomodo17
United States of America

C303....tgb11

Post by jomodo17 »

Hi. I am John Dortch from Arkansas. Any idea how many Volvo C303 are in the US?
dokatd
United States of America

Re: C303....tgb11

Post by dokatd »

Not many, these are rare trucks to begin with. I do t recal how may C303’s were made but it was a very low number relative to just about anything else. So with that, there are likely only maybe 100 in the USA maybe. Possibly more possibly less but I’m trying to be conservative on both sides. I I had a gun to my head I would have said maybe 75 C303’s in the USA honestly. But again I’m just guessing. You don’t see many for sale that’s for sure.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Definitely more than 50, definitely less than 500.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

jomodo17
United States of America

Post by jomodo17 »

Thanks for your reply. I will post photos of my new project. I was told it was a C303 yet after sending photo to the gentleman in NC who imports he said its a c202. I will repost with photos
Joeri
Belgium

Post by Joeri »

Nono...the volvo C303 was build quit a lot ( i think around 8700 303 and tgb1111 ) but.....a history not manny People know.

The c303 was in use in the Swedisch army and was used as a troop carrier, radio truck and anti tank truck ( tgb1111) to defend Sweden against Rusia.....becouse there was a Russian invasion in Finland but somehow Finland won and drove Rusia back.
So after that the " cold war " came and Europe had come to a agreement with Rusia so the need for these trucks was no longer needed, and the function of having a anti tank truck like that was no longer a modern solution....( as rocket and missiles became the standard) so with all these vehicles in stock and in good condition they were planning to sell them........now the part not manny People know .

So the army gave the order to write down all the vehicle nummbers and list them up so they could see how manny trucks they had and could sell, but after a few months they came to the conclusion that there were numbers ( vehicles) missing , where were these vehicles? So they started an investigation and found out that a high placed general had sold a lot to.......Rusia!!!!!
After this they gave the order to no longer try to sell these but now they were put on a train and brought to a scrapyard were they just cut them into pieces ....

They kept around a 1200 and those are the ones that are up for sale the last 10 years or so.

Malaysia , Norway used these in there military as well and some were sold in civilian versions ...the Netherlands and the Swedisch telephone company used some of these, they had the verry rare original mechanicle winch :roll:
Jim Molloy
United States of America

Post by Jim Molloy »

John,
Total production has been listed as 8,707 units. From what I can see, the highest concentration of TGB trucks in North America is on the Pacific Northest including British Columbia. With tht said, the PNW trucks are likely under 30 units. I annot speak for other parts of the US and Canada. Sadly, many have been lost to portal axle harvesting in Europe, the US and Malaysia.

The C202 is the modernized version of the earlier Valp/L3314 trucks. These were much smaller than the C303/304/306 series. Price escalation for all the Vovlo high mobility trucks continues to be seen. A modified C303 recently sold on Bring-A-Trailer for $65,000 USD. The 6x6 TGB131X trucks are being listed in Europe for as much as 36,000EUR. The number of people asking for assistance in locating vehicles of Facebook and other forums is also growing. The search for axles for use under Jeeps, Toyotas and Land Rovers is also on the rise again. The bottom line will be that only the best quality trucks will survive but at very high prices. Margnal trucks in need of repair will likely be parted out.

Please post photos of your truck.
Take care.
Jim Molloy