Intro from Malaysia - WR7002 - C304

Volvo TGB and 30X (303/304/306) mods and resto work, news, resources and non-technical stuff
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Re: Intro from Malaysia - WR7002 - C304

Post by geckoadventure »

Volvo Update
  • Rear facing WARN M12000 winch installed and removed so the winch motor can be repaired.
    PTO Fixed and running
    200liter (50 GALLON) fuel tank installed.
Well after much mucking around and people loosing sketches and plans of the Volvo I have finally found commitment to get the cabin restored and then the rear cabin.

3 weeks time it goes into a workshop 2 have the front of the truck repaired or replaced - replaced is what I want

Options to be done are twin headlights and get the front read for an intercooler. Radio console to be installed - hydrualic steering to be installed

The truck is now a daily driver after the carby rebuild and here is it in recent action with 2,200kg of drinks in it at a charity event for work.

Next weekend it ventures into the jungle for a charity trip and will have 500 rubber plant sapling in the rear roughly 500kg of weight for a 52kilometer trip one way and a 80+kilometer trip back out.

However it broken down last nite looks like coil failure so I have to go retrieve it today.

After the cabin rebuild they are going to make a ALLOY rear cabin with rollcage etc in it and a few other options to turn it into a camper/rollout kitchen/utility jungle truck as it has a date with the RAINFOREST challenge 2011 in December and its not going to miss it and it will have a 13B-T engine installed also. Currently we a re building up my spare 13B-T engine which has been sitting on the shop floor for 3 years. A new head has been found all we need now is a fuel pump and then we will rebuild the whole engine from scratch and yes find a TURBO as the other one was donated to the scrap heap.

pictures of the STage 1 rebuild will be posted here if people are interested.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

michael
parts hard to get i am trying to find other wiper motors to use probably toyota or proton as they cheaper and easier to source

i let someone drive it last nite on a 300 k drive and with 40k to go they smashed it into 3rd dropped the clutch and it has ruined the hi lo selection nnot sure how but they did. at a workshop now as it alsso tossed a new fan belt . lucky it runs two
michael mcauliffe
Australia

Post by michael mcauliffe »

with 40k to go they smashed it into 3rd dropped the clutch and it has ruined the hi lo selection nnot sure how but they did
Ouch !!

Not a very nice thing to have happen mate, i gather you won't be lending them the vehicle again anytime soon.

Have you got any pics of your resto ??

cheers

Mick
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

when i find out about the motors will let un know however they look like lr units ;(
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Yahoo and Boohoo - this weekend is the big day for the Volvo its off tot he hospital for the rust removal from the front of the cabin and a few other mods.

1. Rust removal
2. Creation of a cage for VHF radio and stereo
3. Air conditioning installation
4. Rollcage external
5. Recaro Seats will be removed and replaced
6. possibly redo the cabin interior in CANVAS not paint.
7. Hydraulic steering
8. Relocation of the vaccum brake kit from the rear cabin to underneath.
9. upgrade lighting - http://WWW.RIGIDINDUSTRIES.COM lights coming etc.
10. LED lights for interior
11. airtight it from the engine bay heat

once finished stage 2 - pics as we progress.

1. rebuild of the reaar cabin
2. build one in ALLOY with
3. Drop sides
4. front half will have rollout drawers for the rollout kitchen and spares.
5. raise roof 12-18"
6. install solar charger
7. add two 200amp batteries for winch.
8. add new 12,000 front facing winch as a spare.
9. add two 145 liter fuel tanks and remove the recently installed 200 liter tank.
10. roll out awning to roll out either side for a 20'*30' tarp.
and a few more goddies including LED lights

so two months off the road coming up.
Last edited by geckoadventure on Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Sunday Nite at the workshop and the rust is revealed

3 months I cannot wait.
Doccers

Post by Doccers »

Yikes! I'm glad I don't have anywhere near that much on mine... Good luck and keep up the good work!
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

There is a lot of RUST from the floor to the front window only where it was stored the rain poured in on this partonly :) . The floor was starting to collapse so it had to be repaired now before it fell while I was driving it as the cabin cross member on the chassis had also rusted away :( oops.

Also someone stuck sponge in the inside of the doors I assume for sound proofing and it appears to be attracting moisture and hence rust.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

You have to cut every bit of it out! Rust kills 303's more so than most 4x4's. I'd keep it waxoiled after you get it back up too.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Vince thanks for the info - I am already planning to install the CAAT electrionic anti rust system when its all done and power it with a SOLAR Panel/battery system.

The rust is a real problem here because of the humidity and heat :(

The guy doing it really wants to restore the Vovlo and he is also An OZZIE so its in good hands and he just finished restoring a MERC full of rust .

Rats no progress report this weeK so I do not know iF the cabin was removed and tipped upside down or not and placed on the jig.

I will also make a donation to the website soon.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

I absolutely love this stuff! If you can find some, get a few cans. My 303 was treated with this once every couple years. I'd spray it behind the dash in select spots and in the holes around the windshield frame, behind my rock sliders and other select spots. It's the best way to stop the rust. (next to cleaning the mud/dirt 100%) My 303 had a new body so it's a different story but doing this kind of thing can keep it like new for decades after proper repair.

http://www.totalindustrialsupply.com/Pr ... -00316.htm

"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Progress report

Its all apart : ( took them the first two weeks

The rear cab removed
The front top of the cabin removed
The front bottom of the cabin removed.

They have pressure hosed eveything and the engine and gearbox out today to have the engine replaced with a 15B Hino Diesel which we will add a turbo and intercooler separately.

Anyone done a 15B conversion here? I know in West Malaysia they do a 14B-T conversion and H55F gearbox - at present I planning to keep the existing gearbox and hope it can handle the torque from the diesel if not I replace it with a H55F also. THis is the specs of the 15B-T which is what the end result will be.
15B-FT

Since 1995 this engine has powered the mighty MegaCruiser.
* displacement: 4104 cc 4CYL
* injection: turbo direct
* horsepower: 155 (114kw) at 3200 rpm
* torque: 288 ft-lbs (382N.m) at 1800 rpm
* valves: 16 ohv
* bore and stroke 108 and 112mm respectively

Shocks being measured up so I can order a very nice set of shocks from amadaextreme.com if they can make one big enough :) .

Chassis is now being stripped and we are going to sandblast and paint it the final colour :)

I am looking at painting it this colour

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/list/spray.htm and colour number TS-46 Light Sand

which is of course one of the usa desert storm colours as close a match as I can get. Can anyone else give me a colour code so I can give it to the painter :)

I can paint my truck military colours but not malaysian army colours :)

Today I go to collect the 18,500KG electric which I have put a deposit on :) it runs 24Volt so the Volvo is going to be converted to 24Volts which will not be an issue as the 15B engine is probably going to be 24volts anyway.

Pictures monday nite.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

as it looks now 2 weeks into the restore

A close up of the damage to the front

My drivers floor - ooops Flinstone brakes hahaaha

Doccers

Post by Doccers »

Yikes - that is a lot of rust. :(

Good luck repairing that! I'd give you a hand if I were over there. :D

I know the body is supposed to be alumizinc but that looks more like steel, is it?
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Thanks for the offer but its in good hads - Damn an OZZIE engineering company and he is doing the work - how can we trust the OZZIES they took the america's cup from the americans and lost t to those pesky KIWIS and then cannot beat the ALL BLACKS at rugby for almost 8 years - hahhaa roll onthe world rugby cup.

I got an SMS from the engineer - "The volvo ICU situation is critical but can be cured with TLC and money".

The Volvo Cabin is STEEL

Next

I loaded up the new seats and the now repaired 12,000lb winch and wait for it the 18,500kg winch I acquired (40,293 lb) to military specs :) - my my my what a fool but I could not resist it its going to be mounted to be the spare front pulling winch if the Volvo ever gets reaaly stuck and the PTO dies :) :) :) . I also found the headlight grills and its all being delivered to the engineering shop I hope tonite so I get my first look at it stripped as they wanna talk to me about where the relocated fuse boxes etc are to be located and the radios and the stereo and how the sounds proofing is to be done. The location of the 18,500kg winch is yet to be decided but I want it under the rear but my friends want it in the front and VISIBLE - damn thing is so heavy I cannot even pic it up without help :) . At 18,500kg (40,235lb) I can pull wait for it 8 LWB Landcruiser II's with a SWB Landcruiser II on the end just for fun hahaha - haha 12,000lb DING DONG winch who needs one hahahahahahahaha. The WARN winch 12,000 which was busted and 4WD system shop would not look at till september has been repaired by 4x4 SHoppe and is now running . It is also being converted to 24V soon still costing a motor.

The whole volvo is being converted to 24V except the instruments - I am going tio install a 24-12V converter from www.redarc.com as the ding dong one I tested in my Landcruiser II 24volt truck DIED a terrible death after a few months.

The cabin also needs to be cut to accommodate the 14B-T - that damn pesky turbo gets in the way

I bought the engine friday - while the 3.0 Petrol engine and gearbox was out I thought DAMIT toss it and replace with a diesel as the cabin needs mods to fit - Toyota 14B-T and not a 15B I decided $17,000rm+++ for a 15B (total modified cost) and then turbo'd and manifold etc was too much so went down the already turboed path of the trusty and proven 14B-T (3660cc) in line 4CYL diesel with this engine I should pull 8k+ Litre rather than the 4k I get around town and 5.2k on the highway and the diesel torque is what I am really after :) Before anyone asks the Toyota 1HZ and 1HD not even in the picture they start at $20,000rm ++ for a well used unit :(

The new diffs arrive from the UK this week I hope with the 5.99 ratio and the diesel will have no problem pulling it along. KK I will need 24v Albrights now :( I will organise 3 :)

I will find the 14B-T specs later as they are rather elusive on the web only the 14B specs avail and the turbo has was more grunt than that.

More pics later tonite or tomorrow depending when I visit the baby in ICU.