Intro from Malaysia - WR7002 - C304

Volvo TGB and 30X (303/304/306) mods and resto work, news, resources and non-technical stuff
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Re: Intro from Malaysia - WR7002 - C304

Post by GenevaPinz »

geckoadventure wrote:Thanks for the offer but its in good hads - Damn an OZZIE engineering company and he is doing the work - how can we trust the OZZIES they took the america's cup from the americans and lost t to those pesky KIWIS and then cannot beat the ALL BLACKS at rugby for almost 8 years - hahhaa roll onthe world rugby cup.
Hey, don't worry, after the Kiwis lost it to the... Swiss, the America's Cup is back in the US (and if that's any relief, the Swiss are not too good at rugby!!) :lol:
Good luck on your restore! Looks like a lot of work but every time you post there's quite some progress.
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
psychoman

Post by psychoman »

Is it just me, or does everyone find it a little bit scary when you start digging in to a vehicle to restore that you had been using on the road? Finding the horror stories of significant/structural rust, disintegrating brake lines, etc, etc... does make you think about the condition of your unrestored older vehicles??? Or maybe I'm just being a bit paranoid... :?
It aint what you drive, its the way that you drive it...
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Pic

Drivers side repair almost completed

Front view almost all completed

Passenger side almost all completed

The PTO levers used to be here not sure where they going next but not here the 14B-T will melt the hoses.

The roof surprised me full of little holes :(

Police grills are going they are rust magnets

The sexy naked chassis

Next set of pics the cabin will be painted and back on the chassis with the 14B-T underneath I hope.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

psychoman wrote:Is it just me, or does everyone find it a little bit scary when you start digging in to a vehicle to restore that you had been using on the road? Finding the horror stories of significant/structural rust, disintegrating brake lines, etc, etc... does make you think about the condition of your unrestored older vehicles??? Or maybe I'm just being a bit paranoid... :?
sometime yes :) the pile of rusty bits I forgot to take a pic of I will next visit.
Doccers

Post by Doccers »

I just noticed, yours IS a C304 length frame but two-axle only. I hadn't run across any like that before! Yours is the one my manual talks about, I need to find me a manual for my military C304 3 axle, because I've got wiring and buttons that aren't listed in the commercial manual. :D

Keep up the good work!!
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Doccers wrote:I just noticed, yours IS a C304 length frame but two-axle only. I hadn't run across any like that before!
They are the only ones that I know of who ordered the 4x4 304's. A rare find and pretty much non-existent outside of that part of Asia.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

I saw the Volvo yesterday

Cabin fully completed and sat back on the Chassis.

Chassis and cabin wired brushed and no more rust found :)

14B-T engine dropped off for installation to replace the B30A engine . 14B-T is 3660CC 4 cyl turbo diesel from Toyota (Hino/Diahatsu). its 5" shorter than the B30A and a lot heaveri - does anyone know the B30A weight the 14B-T is approx 375KG.

All "holes" and been welded up.

Air cond vents installed and air cond grill installed

New Dash is now to be constructed with PTO levers and all winch controls located on the old area above the radioator cover. New radiator cover also made to keep the hot air out.

Rear cabin is not going back on and to be replaced by an all ALLOY tray to save weight we estimate 300-400kg saved.

Seat positions checked and sorted.

Radio and stereo and GPS console to be installed

External ROllcage design and size agreed.

Intellitronix DASH to be installed. - Sacrilige - yes im tossing the original DASH its fot 3 sets of instruments in it so we going to function and simplicity - unless someone knows a better dash I can use?

http://www.intellitronix.net/intellitronix_010.htm

Power steering to be installed soon - unfortunately from a FORD

Mercedes brake booster installed under the steering wheel and all other brake stuff tossed.

Two electric winches layed out and ready to install on 8 MM plate and will hang upside down from the chasis just behind the PTO.

Fuel tank (150L or 37Gallons being designed) for left side underneath basically I have 22"*12"*42" to fit a tank in (or 55cm*30*107) minus a bit of anglin will give me 150-170 liters) - 3 Batteries to be installed on right side. Air intake to be sneaked out the right side by the rear drivers window with possibly a Toyota Air Box etc fitted.

Pictures later when I get them of the camera later today.

The truck looks so good I just wanna drive it now and its only a shell I just cannot believe the transformation.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

After having some similar digital gauges in a 4x4 in the past, all I can say is that certain things, mainly RPM and MPH, don't read so well as just numbers. The constant changing numbers get really old, really fast, however. Fast glances or information in your peripheral work so much better with a moving meter of some kind. It just seems to give you a sense of where things are at all times which I think is why it is still used today in just about every vehicle.

I've considered doing my next personal build (if I ever get to again) with the help of combo units, and they sell some too: http://www.intellitronix.net/intellitronix_008.htm The little video clip shows just how far they have come since the old blocky LED's from 1990's.

I think in the end it's hard to beat the new, plain, round VDO gauges that are updates of the stock units. They are much better back-lit and smooth, accurate and never distracting.

If you want to take it pretty far, look at these guys:
http://www.chetcodigital.com/index-Automotive.htm

geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

VinceAtReal4x4s wrote:After having some similar digital gauges in a 4x4 in the past, all I can say is that certain things, mainly RPM and MPH, don't read so well as just numbers. The constant changing numbers get really old, really fast, however. Fast glances or information in your peripheral work so much better with a moving meter of some kind. It just seems to give you a sense of where things are at all times which I think is why it is still used today in just about every vehicle.

I've considered doing my next personal build (if I ever get to again) with the help of combo units, and they sell some too: http://www.intellitronix.net/intellitronix_008.htm The little video clip shows just how far they have come since the old blocky LED's from 1990's.

I think in the end it's hard to beat the new, plain, round VDO gauges that are updates of the stock units. They are much better back-lit and smooth, accurate and never distracting.
I fully understand and also prefer the analogue displays for a glance - yes the cionstantly changing numbers on digital dashes I have seen are a worry same as looking at at GPS display.

Usually I drive turbo diesels by sound and feel and not worry about REVS until im really pushing it hard. SPeedo is another story. Lets see how it goes if I hate it I will go backwards - however my hdhas has 3 sets of gauges already on the existing dash :( I do like the intellitronix Analogue gauges I still might change my mind tonite
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

I saw the Volvo yesterday

Cabin fully completed and sat back on the Chassis.

Chassis and cabin wired brushed and no more rust found :)

14B-T engine dropped off for installation to replace the B30A engine .

All "holes" and been welded up.

Air cond vents installed and air cond grill installed

New Dash is now to be constructed with PTO levers and all winch controls located on the old area above the radiator cover. New radiator cover also made to keep the hot air out.

Rear cabin is not going back on and to be replaced by an all ALLOY tray to save weight we estimate 300-400kg saved.

Seat positions checked and sorted.

Radio and stereo and GPS console to be installed

External ROllcage design and size agreed.

Intellitronix DASH to be installed. - Sacrilige - yes im tossing the original DASH its got 3 sets of instruments in it so we going to function and simplicity - unless someone knows a better dash I can use?

http://www.intellitronix.net/intellitronix_010.htm

Power steering to be installed soon - unfortunately from a FORD

Mercedes brake booster installed under the steering wheel and all other brake stuff tossed.

Two electric winches layed out and ready to install on 8 MM plate and will hang upside down from the chassis just behind the PTO.

Fuel tank (150L or 37Gallons being designed) for left side underneath basically I have 22"*12"*42" to fit a tank in (or 55cm*30*107) minus a bit of angling will give me 150-170 liters) - 3 Batteries to be installed on right side. Air intake to be sneaked out the right side by the rear drivers window with possibly a Toyota Air Box etc fitted.

Pictures later when I get them of the camera later today.

The truck looks so good I just wanna drive it now and its only a shell I just cannot believe the transformation.

If you have ever watched on of those shows where they strip a jaloppy and rebuild it the shop looks just like that :(

Cabin back on until it needs to be cut for the 14B-T

Front all repaired or replaced rusty parts with thicker gauge steel.

One of the two electric winches to be installed beside the PTO - One forwards and one facing backwards.

From the rear the back of the cabin restored the rust now all gone.

The roof all repaired and wired brushed down

The front right side all fixed and air cond radiator installed

Left front side all repaired and ready

Drivers side seat sitting for me to get checked out and yes new seat is lower so more headroom.

Old engine meet

New engine

Air cond vents being setup and new radiator cover.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

I'd test those seats before you commit. The bottom bolstering will cause you to hate them, I bet. You want a flat base because of the height. With those seats, you have to lift yourself another 4" to get in, which is a lot actually.

geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

VinceAtReal4x4s wrote:I'd test those seats before you commit. The bottom bolstering will cause you to hate them, I bet. You want a flat base because of the height. With those seats, you have to lift yourself another 4" to get in, which is a lot actually.
The existing seats were RECARO's and I had already go used to that issue these are similar but 2" lower in the base anda lower side. I have installed the same seats in my Landcruiser II and it dropped the seat height 50mm which gave me more headroom.

The issue we have is the number of holes drilled already (3 sets and all not filled in :( ) where the seats mount to the cabin. They need to be be refilled and reinforced :( as they starting to bend down.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

I not sure how many are following this thread but more progress

It's back to being a DUNE buggy

The engine and gearbox ready to be lowered into place again for the 14B-T Engine mounts to be welded in place. Sump needs to be cut a little to accommodate the front drive shaft. See the PTO on the REAR right (farest wheel) above which will sit the two electric winches.

The buggy from the rear with the WInch plate ready to mount the rear facing WARN M12,000 and the T-MAX 18,500 for forward operations. THe REAR pintel hood has been removed/relocated and will be lifted to give more ground clearance for dropping into rivers etc.

Maybe another month and it will be finished.
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

WOW! whhere do you find the time! Very nice work!
Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

No time haha. It has one person full time on it until its finished.

He is doing good work.

Engine and gearbox and mounts to be finished this week then chassis can be painted