Intro from Malaysia - WR7002 - C304

Volvo TGB and 30X (303/304/306) mods and resto work, news, resources and non-technical stuff
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Re: Intro from Malaysia - WR7002 - C304

Post by geckoadventure »

CURRENT STATUS battery box for the 24 volt batteries made and the 12v volt battery box is there but not so visible. That's a 12v 48KG battery sitting in the tray to show it all fits :) - will be covered this week also (to stop the frigging thieves taking them) and a fuel tank being made for the left hand side more progress to report in 2 weeks as Brett has been away at 4x4 Rain Forest Challenge Sri Lanka so all work stopped on it.

Engine now in place on new engine mounts.

Long discussion on ROLL CAGE etc and positioning of SOLAR battery and they 12V battery box.

New hinges made for engine cover so it no longer slides out and fills the cabin with hot air.

Power steering filler mounted in a easy to get to place

Intercooler purchased and ready to mount (very nice unit will take pic when in place) to fit behind the passenger cabin seat and has own fan etc built in.

Custom 3 core radiator to come from the USA as the local builder decided to build us something we did not want and offerred us a $100rm ($30usd) discount and was told to stick the poorly made radiator back in his car and leave - fool lost out on 3 as we needed the same one for 2 other trucks hahaha fool.

Fuel tank to be build this week on left hand side some 170-200+ liters (40-50US Gallons) and construction of the roll cage will commence and the bar for the harness seat belts to be made and fitted also.

12volt Alternator to also be fitted next week.
Doccers

Post by Doccers »

That's looking awesome. :D

Bummer about the guy with the radiator, though.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Long time since update

Brett the builder has been in Sri Lanka at the SRI LANKA RFC 2011 and then we both at Malaysian RFC 2011 so there is 20+ days gone

Here is latest progress fuel tank built 180 Liters approx (45 US Gallons) with 5 liter internal tank. Steel frame to be built around it also.

Battery box is complete no pic :(

Roll cage is now being started.

PIcs after XMAS as I have my WEDDING Chinese TEA Saturday so no time to visit the Volvo in the workshop.

I am trying to get it ready for an 4x4 EVENT in 23-24 February where it will be BOSS recovery truck :)
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

This a cool someone posted this video on our local page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwFq9mS7hgs&NR=1
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

I am trying to find out if anyone has even changed portal ratios (not the DIFF) . I see you would have to change all 3 components shaft idler gear and the final drive gear.

If so my Builder ses he can get them cut from a professional gear/axle maker in IPOH here.

Since we now have a 4 CYL diesel (and high ratio diffs) and I am planning to run 35"s MT's and also looking seriously at 37" MAXXIS TREPADORS or COBRA's so I need to look at gear ratio's more for economy and NOISE reduction *_*

I saw a discussion on 37"s ruining the portals and diffs

any advice available please.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I am certainly not a Volvo expert, but if the hubs are anything like a Pinzgauer hub then the hub housing is sized for the factory designed gears. To change the ratio (and keep the spacing the same) one gear must grow larger while the other gets smaller. I doubt there is much room for either gear to grow (unfortunately). If it could be done, I'm sure many Pinz owners would have changed their transfer case ratios! But there is no room to change gears in there... dammit! :evil: :twisted:
Jim M.
712W and 710M
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

thanks for that info - yes its a similar setup not much room on the shaft end for any change and the idler and the drive gear is the same issue. So looks like only option is DIFF ratio and TIRE size.

The builder rung me today after I asked him if he could locate the radiator behind the CABIN.

YEs is his answer and he likes it as then no MUD can ever clog up the RADIATOR and it will be located beside the INTERCOOLER also :) and we can put a BIGGER radiator in now also.

A scoop now to be put on the roof pulling air down behind the CABIN and all protected by the ROLL CAGE :)

This is what gave me the idea - thanks KAMAZ. Theirs is out the side

He is too busy to work on the VOlvo he has a BIG trailer order and he is currently fixing up his 4x4 LandRover rally car (making it V6 3.0 TURBO NISSAN powered) for an event in FEBRUARY which I am playing RESCUE for (I wanted the VOlvo finished but ALAS it will now not be ready.
mad_as_hec

Post by mad_as_hec »

Is the Toyota motor mounted on a custom adapter plate or is there a comercially available adaptor/kit? Looking forward to the next installment.
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Adapter plate I was given one made up. When I collected the engine. But the engineer decided it was rough and he cut another very nice.

More updates coming as I now have and end date he needs to make . Final pics may not be up until after the grand unveiling bbq at home one night just to upset my farking grumpy neighbour .
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

2012-01-04 19.04.58-1.jpg
2012-01-04 19.04.58-1.jpg (67.81 KiB) Viewed 4958 times
Saw this one at the local workshop just restored back to police specs like mine was once

Running 1JZ toyota engine and disc conversion
kpoling
United States of America

Re: Intro from Malaysia - WR7002 - C304 - Tires on gray truc

Post by kpoling »

Hi Gecko: Those tires on the picture of the gray truck you posted on Jan 26th, do you know the manufacturer of them? They look like excellent mud tires!
Regards, Kevin

'73 710K sold 01/22/2016
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

They look like Simex tires. Great tires and popular, but not in the US.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Vince

They are indeed SIMEX XT 35" 10.5 * 16" tires - Not sure if you can get in the US. They are what we all use as the factory is <2k from me at work :)

They are SOFT and I think not suited to the Volvo due to its massive WEIGHT as they seem to cut out .

Normally we get 15-20K out of them before they have to be replaced.

Silverstone also have the same tire MT117 EX

Promise to upgrade the the Volvo story asap. Need to finish it as someone made a MESS of my BJ75 TROOPY in the RFC 2011.
mad_as_hec

Post by mad_as_hec »

Are the wheels on the grey truck Mitsubishi? They look like the ones on my wife's Pajero (Montero).
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

YEs they are MISTSUBISHI (MISSY BITCHY :wink: or MISSING BITZ)

common over here after the DISC conversion. Too many issues with the LR Brakes in the MUD so DISC conversion is done.