Volvo c304 + VW T3 double cab

Volvo TGB and 30X (303/304/306) mods and resto work, news, resources and non-technical stuff
Haf-e
United States of America

Volvo c304 + VW T3 double cab

Post by Haf-e »

Thought people here might be interested in this build:

Its a thread on the expedition portal site titled "tiger2.0 - an experiment" and here is his intro:

Hi guys,

i started with a new build based an past expriences in terms of vehicle and travel, so after 1.5 years of research and parts accumulation, here we go: tiger2.0 will (hopefully) be the HeavyDuty version of our current tigerbus, which has traveled with us a few ten thousand kilometers and will continue to do so. For more advanced stuff with deeper mud, snow and water aswell as extremer temperatures we're in the process of mating a few of our favourite vehicles into one.

Quick facts for now:

* Volvo C304/TGB13 6x6 chassis, custom 5.99 ratio portal axles.
* VW T3 syncro double cab
* custom sandwhich camper box or flatbed (interchangeable) in the rear
* Toyota 12H-T engne with H55F gearbox (4ltr direct injection turbo diesel with inline pump, 5sp gearbox 1:2 reduction)
* 37x12.5R17 tires on custom 9x17 steel wheels
* complete disc brake conversion
* main goal: stay within 3.5tons limits...

That's the main outline of this experiment, will try to keep the English speaking world updated via this thread, German version via IG16-Forums here. A nice mixture can be found on facebook Full details will _eventually_ end up on our website...
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Re: Volvo c304 + VW T3 double cab

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Weird how there's actually a Volvo forum, yet he posts that on a big-tire, home-made jeep 4x4 forum where no one knows a thing about them.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

He's got a huge following with the Synchro crowd over at Expedition Portal. He stays where the fans are..
His original "Tiger Bus" is pretty nice..
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
tiagra

Post by tiagra »

Ha, that's actually mine - the very reason for my disc brake conversion development.
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Any progress on the VW/Volvo 6x6 since then?
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
one2many
Australia

Post by one2many »

Yes I am also very interested in how this build is progressing, Martin have you managed to get the dual cab VW body fitted to the chassis yet? It looks to be quite a good fit for the 6x6 Volvo, I'm also planning to turn my 1314 into a dual cab with tray space but I've been thinking of modifying the Volvo cab. For this reason I have been interested in your build for quite some time, is the VW cabin space any wider or narrower than the Volvo cab? I can appreciate that a little extra width would be a tempting advantage of the VW body.

BTW nice work on your disc brake development, it looks first class and I can easily see how much thought and time you have put into it...a real achievement to be proud of, thank you. I've started a saving fund for my set but its gonna take me some time.

All the best

Warren
1985 pinzgauer 712K factory 2.7lt civilian (RHD, 4 door K)
1979 Volvo tgb 1314a (under construction to om606 diesel/722.6 trans. Dual cab/tray)
tiagra

Post by tiagra »

Yes, the cabin sits on the frame, has dedicated rubber cone mounts by contitech, enlarged wheel arches, (power) steering figured out, doors cut.... now just need to finish that stupid body work which i hate so much, to finally get to the nice stuff again ;) Like my cable shifter, the brakes or electrical things...

Both sides have transformed from this...

.. to this...

Implanted the larger (turnodiesel) version of the shifter tunnel für better airflow through the (custom) radiator...

Slowly trying to close the cabin again, so that I don't see street or engine while driving ;)

In short... progress is slow as can be, mainly due to the fact that i needed to finish the brake project and other stuff besides the small Volvo thingy next to my fulltime job :D Will start again soon, so that i can atually use my own brake development aswell!!

Warren: I am not sure that there will be more/future production runs of this setup, it is not exactly a mass product and the market is VERY small. I will drop off my presentation portal that I build especially for this purpose at the german TÜV next friday, then wait for feedback - important step for German guys wanting to use my brake system. After their feedback we will have a 1-2 week ordering period for everyone and then proceed to production. I have sent Nick the best offer I can make for you guys, I hope this will work out for you. If not, we will see what can be done towards the end of the year. If we can find people to justofy another production run, we will gladly do that for you. If not, I we can also start a smaller run just for you, but the price will be even higher :/ We'll see how it works out... let me know.

Ciao,

.martin
OUTBACK
United States of America

Post by OUTBACK »

Any updates? So cool!
geckoadventure
New Zealand

Post by geckoadventure »

Hey Tiger Bus do we have an update?