Ian's TGB13 6x6 (Australia)

Volvo TGB and 30X (303/304/306) mods and resto work, news, resources and non-technical stuff
MadMax

Re: Ian's TGB13 6x6 (Australia)

Post by MadMax »

Thank you for correcting me. I was not even sure what those were because the guy who put the custom dash in this had them covered over with insulation batten and hidden behind the defunct video monitor, I only noticed them when I took that old dash out. *note to self: do not relocate plastic dash bottles, do not fill them with water.* Check.

The lessons do not end. I have literally never done more than change the oil or tires on a vehicle, so every thing I need to know I need to learn. Going slow and being extremely meticulous is about the only way for me to go about this properly and minimize error, but it is through error that I learn the most. To be honest, a lot of my past experiences were similar:

I had never used clay before being hired as a kiln apprentice and commission sculptor for a porcelain studio
I had never used a computer before being hired as a designer on one
I had never been on the internet or sent a single email before being hired as a web developer
I did not have a degree, business or management training before I was hired as an art director of an agency

Yet I managed to do those things, in the end, very well and make those companies a considerable amount of money. I consider this truck a task I have dreamed of undertaking for many years and I have no doubt it will be the biggest project I have ever undertaken. Needless to say but I am very, very glad this forum exists, it is an amazing resource full of great, knowledgeable people. I do not think I could do this without the information here.
Where science and technology fail, art survives.
roobar_and_custard
Australia

Post by roobar_and_custard »

After having spent many weekends, and still going, clearing up the garden after we had three trees taken down (which including having to move the Volvo off the drive on 5 wheels :shock: - from under one of the trees ).

Spent some time on the transfer case shift mechanism, which needs to be a unique set-up for obvious reasons.

Diff lock actuation uses the standard Volvo vacuum actuator, which has an internal spring to return when no vacuum is available. This set up means that the diff will be locked when the engine is off, and open when a vacuum is applied - similar principle to the original Volvo set up. It also means that under heavy braking, a pressure switch in the brake circuit switches off the vacuum causing the diff to lock and preventing either front or rear wheels locking independantly. This is how the part time transfer case worked, and I hope the LT230 is strong enough for...
Appears to function so far, but have yet to try with a vacuum. :D

High/Low range is to be actuated by the bowden cable, with a yet to be decided lever in the cab.
Attachments
Shift mechanisms 1.jpg
Shift mechanisms 1.jpg (153.62 KiB) Viewed 3282 times
Shift mechanisms 3.jpg
Shift mechanisms 3.jpg (136.49 KiB) Viewed 3282 times
Shift mechanisms 4.jpg
Shift mechanisms 4.jpg (135.8 KiB) Viewed 3282 times
Shift mechanisms 5.jpg
Shift mechanisms 5.jpg (156.57 KiB) Viewed 3282 times
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

The LT230 will be plenty strong as it is noted as being one of the strongest OEM transfer cases in the business.

I am not sure why the original system in the Volvo and the one you have retrofitted here having the CDL auto vacuum locking is the way to go as it seems a bit of a backward step - I guess the braking system is very basic with no proportioning valve system in the brakes to ensure brakes do not lock independently - even with the system you have, unless the axle diff locks are locked, individual wheels will still be able to lock.

My 101 has a manually vacuum locked centre diff lock and I have never had an issue but these are problematic with vacuum issues either diaphrams failing or vacuum leaks and in your case you could be driving on the bitumin with the diff lock activated causing transmission windup. Many older Landy vacuum diff lock systems have been upgraded to purely manual system that the LT230 originally had.

Great build though which I have followed with interest.

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
roobar_and_custard
Australia

A good point, and one which I have experience of too... when I first got this truck, the vacuum diaphram was a little perished. It took quite some time to figure out...
In this version, I now have a warning lamp that will tell me if the diff is locked. So at least I'll be able to see the failure (which reminds me - need to add this new lamp somewhere).

The main reason for going this route is to avoid issues with compliance to the "engineering code for modification" when it gets the disc conversion. This requires all commercial vehicles (like mine) to have a load proportioning valve, but mine was original engineered (VIC) without, and by carrying across the same functionality, I am hoping I do not need to add.

If I do, with twin axles on a loadsharing pivot with dual brake circuits, I think I need 4 load proportioning valves... :shock:
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Understand - gotta keep the roadworthy people happy.

At least with an LT230 if the vacuum does fail at least you can climb underneath and disengage the diff lock so you can drive on the road.

Oh - was the Volvo originally all wheel drive (4x4 with freewheeling extra axle) or fully part time as with the LT230 you have an all wheel drive transfer case.

cheers

Garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
1957 Landrover 88"
roobar_and_custard
Australia

Current T/Fer case is part time - dog clutch for front axle engagement (like a series Land Rover).

LT230 T/Fer is permanent - but as I already have CVs in the front axle, this won't be a problem. And with the obvious benefit of improved on-road/dirt road stability.
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Using the LT 230 will leave you the option of putting in an overdrive on the PTO port at a later stage if you wanted, likewise there are a range of tfr case gears available.
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
1957 Landrover 88"
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

In the Volvo - how is drive taken to the third axle?
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
1957 Landrover 88"
roobar_and_custard
Australia

1st rear axle has a PTO taken from the input pinion and driven over the top of the axle to the 2nd rear axle.
No differential action between the two - fixed drive.
Attachments
Differential PTO.PNG
Differential PTO.PNG (201.63 KiB) Viewed 3183 times
Axle PTO installed.jpg
Axle PTO installed.jpg (118.5 KiB) Viewed 3183 times
Axle PTO Removed.jpg
Axle PTO Removed.jpg (234.19 KiB) Viewed 3183 times
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Thanks - in that case an overdrive will go nicely on the back of the LT230 to assist on those long highway drives. After paying for the overdrive you might not be able to afford to drive far but it will be in comfort.
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
1957 Landrover 88"
chosenview

Post by chosenview »

[img]
image.jpg
image.jpg (382.83 KiB) Viewed 3165 times
[/img]

I put a pto pump for a h14w superwinch on the back of my lt230
roobar_and_custard
Australia

Progress on the disc conversion is slow, but there has been some. Hub has been scanned and converted in Catia. I had a friend model up a re-machined hub using Range Rover P38/Disco 2 discs. This part looks pretty promising.
Using the standard 8x16 wheels to suit 315/75R16s, the track increase is just 13.7mm/side vs an Austalian registration requirement of 25mm max.

I bought a full set of calipers from a Disco (plan is for 2x twin front and 1xsingle/rear axle), but cannot make them fit. :(

After some searching around I think I can get the Wilwood calipers to fit, but still trying to get some more detailed information on them as they will get pretty close to the wheels - approx 3mm clear at best estimate. This is using the 25mm thick front vented discs from a Range Rover.
The rear discs will be solid, and will have to be machined down to the same dia as the fronts otherwide the calipers will scrape the inside of the rim...
It is proving to be a delicate balancing act...
Attachments
New Hub.jpg
New Hub.jpg (85.6 KiB) Viewed 2914 times
Caliper Mounting Bracket.jpg
Caliper Mounting Bracket.jpg (91.81 KiB) Viewed 2914 times
Hub assembly.jpg
Hub assembly.jpg (91.39 KiB) Viewed 2914 times
Tool Access.jpg
Tool Access.jpg (152.6 KiB) Viewed 2914 times
Disc Conversion.jpg
Disc Conversion.jpg (146.65 KiB) Viewed 2914 times
roobar_and_custard