Ian's TGB13 6x6 (Australia)

Volvo TGB and 30X (303/304/306) mods and resto work, news, resources and non-technical stuff
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Re: Ian's TGB13 6x6 (Australia)

Post by Heinkeljb »

Gary,

have a look at his hand drawn sketch in post 7 to see which way things move. You thinking of doing the same thing to your forward control landrover?

John
roobar_and_custard
Australia

Post by roobar_and_custard »

Hello again Gary,
Suffice to say that reversing the pitman arm corrects the steering direction. I had been through this a number of times in my head, but it wasn't until I had all the parts in place that I was 100% sure.

Steering box came from ebay, and is still available.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-GENUINE- ... 27c3731db1

Spline is 5/8x36, but there are two different versions of this spline available. So far I have used the "larger" of the two, but am not entirely convinced that this is the right one.
Land Rover typically use a 3/4x48 spline.

I found a company in the US who make steering parts, and have multiple spline combinations available. I bought a 5/8x36 to 3/4x48 UJ to adapt to the disco box.

If you're down in Melbourne give me a hoy. Nothing quite like looking at the real thing.

Cheers,
Ian.
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Thanks John and Ian,

Yes the process does muck your head around. For the 101 the local modifiers use a system similar to what Ian has done but it is in theory possible to just replace the 101 steering box and leave the rest of the system as is but it is hard to get a box that turns the right way - I have a Jeep power steering box that will fit great but it turns the wrong way. (opposite to the LR box)

It will work in the layout you have but I would like try to go a way that will minimise modifications.

Cheers

garry
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
roobar_and_custard
Australia

Happy New year to all! First update for 2015 on the Volvo.

Not much happened on the Volvo over the new year as spent most of the time away.

But, now back into the fray...

I had all the diffs (3 of them) rebult with new CW&P sets in a higher ratio to help improve RPM/Kph - the diff ratio changes from 3.44 to 2.91, the overall axle ratio from 7.09 to 5.99 considering the portal box reduction. CW&P were custom made in the UK by a Volvo enthusiast to the same ratio as the 4x4 but including the added spline the 6x6 requires for the rear axle pto drive.
This new ratio should help when the diesel conversion is done.

Rear axles installed, and I even had help (briefly). Will eventually repaint all the axles, as they now look a little shabby.

Front axle yet to be done, and will require new CV boots to be fitted at the same time.
Attachments
Rebuilt Diff.jpg
Rebuilt Diff.jpg (132.84 KiB) Viewed 3870 times
Rebuilt Diff CWandP.jpg
Rebuilt Diff CWandP.jpg (164.67 KiB) Viewed 3870 times
Little Helpers.jpg
Little Helpers.jpg (190 KiB) Viewed 3870 times
1st Rear Axle Diff.jpg
1st Rear Axle Diff.jpg (148.94 KiB) Viewed 3870 times
Both Rear Axles.jpg
Both Rear Axles.jpg (166.66 KiB) Viewed 3870 times
roobar_and_custard
Australia

Have been playing with the dash panel. Now that the steering column comes out through the midde of the speedo some modification was necessary.
Usual mock up made - in cardboard this time.

Took a couple of attempts to get a gauge layout I was happy with. mostly due to retaining the heater control position due to cable lengths, as well as trying to find sapce for all the switches.

Will be running a combination of 12v and 24v systems, just to keep things unecessarily complicated, with most of the new stuff (gauges) changing to 12v.
Attachments
Dash mock up.jpg
Dash mock up.jpg (168.21 KiB) Viewed 3796 times
Dash mock up gauges.jpg
Dash mock up gauges.jpg (137.24 KiB) Viewed 3796 times
Dash mock up steering wheel.jpg
Dash mock up steering wheel.jpg (130.18 KiB) Viewed 3796 times
Dash mock up dr switches.jpg
Dash mock up dr switches.jpg (136.8 KiB) Viewed 3796 times
roobar_and_custard
Australia

And now in steel...

Stick welding 2mm has been challenging, but pretty happy with the result. Went with steel as this adds some structure to the column. Now the column hangs off the dash instead of being attached to the chassis, adding in this extra stucture sould help prevent unwanted steeing wheel vibration - but only time will tell...

Fuses can be accessed through the glovebox (false floor to be added), centre section unbolts as this will make wiring up the new stuff much easier.

Eventually will add a top panel in ply, covered in vinyl, which clips down - I'll still need to access the brake reservoirs as well as the new expansion tank for the yet to exist water/air intercooler.

Now for the task of cutting all those switch/gauge holes... :(
Attachments
In Steel.jpg
In Steel.jpg (160.49 KiB) Viewed 3801 times
access to fuses through glovebox.jpg
access to fuses through glovebox.jpg (133.59 KiB) Viewed 3801 times
In Steel dr side.jpg
In Steel dr side.jpg (129.74 KiB) Viewed 3801 times
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

All the work is looking good mate, your really making progress of late.

I look forward to seeing the vehicle on the road.....Maybe we'll both finish around the same time :D :lol: 8)
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

...centre section unbolts as this will make wiring up the new stuff much easier.
And if you can make it HINGE open, your wiring will be that much easier, too. Or possibly make the center panel wiring all disconnect with plugs, so you can wire the panel away from the dash and then just plug it in when you mount it. Either of these options generally will save you time in the long run! Ask me how I know. :oops: 8)

It's looking very good!
Jim M.
712W and 710M
roobar_and_custard
Australia

Hmmmm... I like that hinge idea... Pretty sure I could make that work too. :D
Warren

Post by Warren »

Nice work!! Things are really moving forward, this is inspiring me to get mine into the workshop and get cracking.
Keep up the good work.
Cheers Warren
1985 712 K
2x1978 tgb 1314 amb
2xSubaru Brumby (Brat) ute
1993 Nissan GQ
roobar_and_custard
Australia

Just some tinkering this weekend, cut the holes for the switches in the centre panel. I don't have the gauges, so they will wait for the time being.

And yes - I added a hinge - and yes - that was a great idea! :D

I really wanted to weld the hinge on, but it was beyond my welding ability, so had to go with the pop rivets. Slapped a coat of primer on, and pretty happy with the result.
Attachments
With switches.jpg
With switches.jpg (130.43 KiB) Viewed 3679 times
Added hinge.jpg
Added hinge.jpg (151.63 KiB) Viewed 3679 times
Last edited by roobar_and_custard on Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Can those two small bottles be removed from the space under the dash and the tubing run straight through without them? There are two additional filler caps outside for the washer fluid and coolant, I believe those are fluid and coolant also, just not sure why those bottles exist. Are they overflow chambers or something? Redundant? It would provide a lot more room to work under there if I could remove those without affecting the function of the systems.

If you look at them, its like they forgot to put them in during the engineering phase and stuck them on after production began. "In northern europe we put bottle where we needs. Is gud there."
Where science and technology fail, art survives.
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

MadMax wrote:Can those two small bottles be removed from the space under the dash and the tubing run straight through without them? There are two additional filler caps outside for the washer fluid and coolant, I believe those are fluid and coolant also, just not sure why those bottles exist. Are they overflow chambers or something? Redundant? It would provide a lot more room to work under there if I could remove those without affecting the function of the systems.

If you look at them, its like they forgot to put them in during the engineering phase and stuck them on after production began. "In northern europe we put bottle where we needs. Is gud there."
Aren't those brake fluid reservoirs? mounted high to avoid possible water contamination?
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
roobar_and_custard
Australia

Correct - brake fluid reservoirs. Two, due to the dual braking system that the Volvos have. Don't fill these up with water!

The two caps on the outside at the front - Left = washer fluid, Right = radiator expansion tank.

I will need to access the brake fluid reservoirs, and will still be able to manage this now I have a fold down front. :D
Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Similar to the set up in a FC101 - the reservoirs need to be higher than the brake master cylinder which is high up under the dash. They are a nuisance where they are but there are not many options.

1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"