Searching for C303 DOM

Volvo TGB and 30X (303/304/306) mods and resto work, news, resources and non-technical stuff
dryskamp

Searching for C303 DOM

Post by dryskamp »

Does any one know how to get Date-Of-Manufacture (DOM) records from Volvo? I am looking to buy a C303 and it only has a Military "Date-In-Service" placard. The State of California requires a DOM verification for registration.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
dokatd
United States of America

Re: Searching for C303 DOM

Post by dokatd »

They should all be dated 1975 I believe. Actual build date is anyone's guess. You might see about getting initial registration from another state first.
dryskamp

Post by dryskamp »

It is currently registered in Canada, and they used the Date-In-Service of 1975. However, in California, the vehicle must be 1974 or newer. I believe C303 were manufactured from '74 on. Since this one has a relatively low SN, I'm hoping a verification of DOM from Volvo will help me get it registered.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

I have a feeling you won't be able to get that. I have never heard of anyone being successful at it.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

You should go speak with another registration office. I suspect you are being given poor information. I could be wrong, but I know a lot of people that have unimogs both older and younger in California. Don't get me wrong, I know Cali can be difficult but I really think you are missing something.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Being a gas motor is the issue. Diesel is no trouble at that age, gas/petrol can be a real nightmare in Ca.. Sometimes it seems to be 1974, and other times its 1975 or older. You don't see many 303's in Ca. for a reason.

dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

Unimog 404.1 and 404.0 span from extremely late 50's to late 70's. Both models are gasoline and I know of several young and old in Cali. Regardless, one of the many reasons I don't live in California.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Yes but most imported 404's (I bought in a few) are 60's to early 70's. I'd say the overwhelming majority are late 60's. A later than 1975 gas Mog in Ca. would be very unlikely since you'd have to smog it for sure. The issue I have heard of often, is DMV people interpreting the 1974/1975 date in the law's language differently from one DMV to the next. This problem comes up over and over with a lot of classic cars on countless forums.

The only 4x4s I have personally tried to tag in Ca is a 73 Pinz and 79 Gwagen and both went through with no questions. The G-wagen is exempt since it is a pre '84 diesel, which isn't ever inspected, smogged or anything... and the insurance on it is $120 a year! Cheap truck to own.

dokatd
United States of America

Post by dokatd »

The 404.0 spans mostly mid to late 70's. These are the 404 with the round cabs found on the 406/416 including doka models. I am aware of several in California. I'm not sure what was done to get them there without major issue.
395north

Post by 395north »

I'm new here and sold my FJ40 to start hunting around for a C303. As a California resident, should I just assume it will be nearly impossible to register an out of state or imported C303? If this is the case, is my only option to find a vehicle that is already registered here?

Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Eddydog
United States of America

Post by Eddydog »

I just (July 2018) got my TGB registered in CA. It was previously assigned an Oregon VIN. I took it to one of the private registration services. They are much more interested in helping you so they can charge their fee. Mine has a manufacture date of 1975 on the Oregon title, and that is the last year you can reg. a gas motor in CA without smog. I'm sure that having it already licensed in another state made it a lot easier. I would suggest looking at trucks currently registered in another state.