230GE G-Wagen firetruck

Posts about other Real 4x4's. Examples: Unimogs, Steyr-Puch G-wagens, Tatra, MAN, ex-military, etc. Please keep posts related to rare 4x4's, Euro/military/industrial and portal axle related off-road trucks. (This is not a Jeep forum)
CentAr712
United States of America

230GE G-Wagen firetruck

Post by CentAr712 »

Here is a G-wagen with the roll-up side doors in fire truck configuration. I've never seen one until now, I just stumbled across this one on Ebay today. It would be a great camping and expedition rig with those roll up side doors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222187914940?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
Attachments
Gfiretruck.JPG
Gfiretruck.JPG (69.9 KiB) Viewed 505 times
Chris.
https://www.supanik.com/pinz
'76 712M Rapier Cargo (Swiss), For Sale
'83 MB W460 280GE G-Wagen, For Sale
David Dunn
United States of America

Re: 230GE G-Wagen firetruck

Post by David Dunn »

Now, I had decided against buying a G a long time ago... but if my memory serves me right... :roll:
A G230 is a gas engine ( before looking at the ad)
All the early G Wagons were only gas engines ( and a fuel hog) Diesels were added later
And once into the ad and pics, says it's a 5 speed,and the shifter displays a 4 speed pattern.
And that is the first diesel I've seen with spark plugs :?
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

Yeah, I think the 240 is a diesel, not the 230. The Swiss Army G's are 230 gassers.

Sent from my SM-T817T using Tapatalk
Chris.
https://www.supanik.com/pinz
'76 712M Rapier Cargo (Swiss), For Sale
'83 MB W460 280GE G-Wagen, For Sale
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Cool set-up and not one you see often.

Yeah there are some issues here. Maybe the guy was thinking of another G he is selling with a diesel? This looks like the M102 E23 motor (230GE).

Some of the first G's did have diesel options though. My '79 is the first batch of G's made and it's a stock 300GD which had the famous 617 5cyl. NA motor (it's now a 617A turbo). The 240 is the 616 motor which is also ultra reliable but a 4cyl. version with even worse highway speeds. The 230, which this G has, is a great 4cyl. motor and ultra smooth with fuel injection and (I think) about 125hp which isn't too bad! But somehow they seem to get bad mileage for a 4cyl. injected motor of around 15mpg.

It could have been spec'ed out with a 5-speed but it would be a Getrag tranny most likely that had a lower first gear and not an overdrive 5th. I agree the shifter does look like the 4sp. version. The sun reflection makes it harder to tell but I'm pretty sure the Getrag shifter has the reverse on the lower right with 5th above that. I think the later 461's 5sp pattern has the 1st gear at the left top.

Those rust spots are in tough places to repair without some complex cutting but it doesn't look like the end of the world. It's weird how a lot of Euro Fire Service vehicles have rust issues. You'd think since it's parked in a garage pretty much all the time, with guys sitting around most of the time with nothing better to do, you'd have vehicles in better shape.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Der Alte

Post by Der Alte »

David Dunn wrote: All the early G Wagons were only gas engines ( and a fuel hog) Diesels were added later
Not so. The 240GD and 300GD were available from the start in 1979.