My Haflinger is finished!

Posts about other Real 4x4's. Examples: Unimogs, Steyr-Puch G-wagens, Tatra, MAN, ex-military, etc. Please keep posts related to rare 4x4's, Euro/military/industrial and portal axle related off-road trucks. (This is not a Jeep forum)
jamesfyfe6

My Haflinger is finished!

Post by jamesfyfe6 »

Hey guys.....its been a while since I posted my latest project on this forum, but then again its because it took so damn long for this project to finish! Here is my 1972 Haflinger after a complete restoration. Everything mechanically that needed to be replaced to get her running perfectly was done, body work and fresh paint. Special thanks to Dale over at Haflinger Technik in Scotland, as he supplied me with all the parts and built me a brand new factory spec windshield.

Check her out and all feedback (positive and constructive) is appreciated. Only will help me make her better or perhaps point out something I missed.
Attachments
IMG_0806.jpg
IMG_0806.jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 1272 times
IMG_0798.jpg
IMG_0798.jpg (1.79 MiB) Viewed 1272 times
IMG_0797.jpg
IMG_0797.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 1272 times
IMG_0796.jpg
IMG_0796.jpg (2.42 MiB) Viewed 1272 times
IMG_0805.jpg
IMG_0805.jpg (1.98 MiB) Viewed 1272 times
unimog2450
United States of America

Re: My Haflinger is finished!

Post by unimog2450 »

Beautiful!
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

How harsh do you want us to be? :D :D

Looks very nice, I take it it actually drives as well? No horrible noises from the Diffs or the gears when you change gear? The most obvious thing which I am sure you know about and are probably in the process of sorting are the rear seats. I sure you can do better than pieces of plywood! You do have to buy those horribly expensive rubber bands as you can get a very good alternative if you have look at the following post (http://thehaflinger.com/viewtopic.php?f ... eat+straps) - My apologies for referencing another forum, but it was easier than trying to copy and paste the contents. I am sure there are other solutions that could be used as alternatives as well.

Do you have other photos of the process of rebuilding it? Always nice to see how far people go when they say they have done a complete re-build.

John
jamesfyfe6

Post by jamesfyfe6 »

Hi Heinkeljb,

It does drive very well now. It wasn't running when I bought it. Mostly all engine work though, didn't have to do anything to the drivetrain except replace the fluids. I don't get any noises whatsoever from the diff's or gears. Before I painted her I took it off road and tested the 4 wheel drive and lockers and everything worked great. As far as the rear seats I can get the original seat covers from Haflinger technik (they are the ones that got me the correct seat frames). However I just wanted to make the seats out of the pine as you can see. Obviously I know I'll get different opinions on that :-). Its an easy swap if I decide to put the correct ones on.

As far as the rest of the vehicle I basically kept it as original looking as possible.

Thanks!
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Hi,
Looks great - congrats
What's the box at the rear (drivers side)?
Thx
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Probably it's a box to keep snow chains in ;-)

Very nice job - curious as to what haflinger front badge it has on it under the steyr-puch badge? Can't tell from the photos.

Also those rims don't look familiar either... Fiat Panda perhaps?
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
jamesfyfe6

Post by jamesfyfe6 »

Hey guys,

So the box in the back was an addition from the previous owner. Its not correct to be there. He welded one in and I just left it because I ended up using it as a lock box for storage.

The wheels are also not factory correct and could be from a fiat...?? Your guess is as good as mine.

The badge under the Steyr Puch is correct by finished in Chrome. I got it from Haflinger Technik. Here is a close up photo.
Attachments
IMG_0793.JPG
IMG_0793.JPG (1.91 MiB) Viewed 1234 times
B Bryan Preserve

Post by B Bryan Preserve »

Very nice. I am currently restoring two 1972 Halfingers. How did you sand blast and paint? Was their any rust.
BobbyD
United States of America

Post by BobbyD »

Magnificent.
1971 710K S
N2PNZ
jamesfyfe6

Post by jamesfyfe6 »

B Bryan Preserve wrote:Very nice. I am currently restoring two 1972 Halfingers. How did you sand blast and paint? Was their any rust.
Hi I'm not sure what method the guy used to sand it down before paint, I left that up to the professional. I do know he took it down to metal and the body was solid. The only real rust was on the bottom of the rear seat footwells which was cut out and replaced.
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Many aspects of this truck are nice, very nice. I'm bummed by the painting over of the locker engagement levers and the surround to the stick Shift. I know, I know. Little things. The rest I love.

Is this a true Pathfinder, or a military surplus with a badge? Curious the differences
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Pathfinder
Not sure how you could fake the large headlights and finding all the small bits would be hard.
Some parts are not original (front indicators, side markers lights front and back, rear lenses (I think, hard to see), exhaust, rear mud flaps and some other obvious ones, missing both side mirrors, etc).
Regardless, it's nice.
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker