Amphibious alternative to the Pinz?

Posts about other Real 4x4's. Examples: Unimogs, Steyr-Puch G-wagens, Tatra, MAN, ex-military, etc. Please keep posts related to rare 4x4's, Euro/military/industrial and portal axle related off-road trucks. (This is not a Jeep forum)
audiocontr
United States of America

Amphibious alternative to the Pinz?

Post by audiocontr »

Can you think of any amphibious alternatives to a pinz that isn't outrageously priced (like a DUKW)?

I live on a lake now that I would love to roll the truck into. :D
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
Andre
United States of America

Re: Amphibious alternative to the Pinz?

Post by Andre »

Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

How about a "coot" ? Pretty simple and can be found cheap...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_RgN2pyPos

I think the replica schwimwagens are not 4wd unfortunately - which would make getting it out of a lake pretty difficult.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

Andre wrote:Would a Schwimmwagon work?
http://schwimmwagenreplica.com/index.html
I almost choked after the OP mentionned "not outrageously priced" and you mentionned the Schwimmwagen, as originals are well into six-figures. Then I noticed "replica"... :oops: Thanks for the sharing the link, Andre! It seems unfortunately that Ford GPA amphibious Jeeps are in the same price range, which would then veer us towards less "conventional" designs.

The Coot is a good idea. A Supacat might be more practical and I believe can be road-registered.
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Some guy in Michigan (IIRC) has had an Alvis Stalwart for sale a few times on ebay that I don't believe ever sold. I believe it was advertised as seaworthy still. Came with a crane and fold-down sides if memory serves.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Gama Goat or a Hagglund BV206
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

I believe getting into the Alvis Stalwart or the Gamma Goat would negate the cost effective approach. Preventative maintenance let alone demand maintenance on these would be a deal killer for me....
1972 710m
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

How about an Argo 6x6 or 8x8? There are also other similar vehicles in the $10+ market new. You can even put an outboard on the back.

Cheers, Clive
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Well, to play Devil’s Advocate ( did I say play? :roll: ) .

My first question would be if you want to road register it, or strictly off road and water?

The Schimmwagon replica couldn’t be imported to the US, as it is new manufacture and must meet DOT and EPA.

The Coot is another ATV and not road legal.

The Stalwart is basically a 20k lb 6 wheel drive that’s no faster than a Haffy and not suitable for hard surfaces because of the ‘wind up’ of the wheel drives., and is around 102” wide and 20’ long. I’ve been thinking of one of these for 15 years, and it only takes a few minutes why not to have one every time the desire arises.

Gama Goat will make your Pinz like a sound proof Mercedes compare to the noise that 2 stroke Detroit diesel makes.

Hagglunds are also around 20’ long and not street legal due to no steerable wheels ( steering by articulating the front/rear sections)..

As far as the Supacats, MK2 and newer do have steerable wheels (along with skid steer). They do have all the typical safety devices as most road vehicles… headlamps, tail lamps, brake/turn lamps, horn, and 4 point seat belts.
In Cal, I did get one road registered as SE ( special equipment) , and did manage to get insurance ( and I wouldn’t know if you’d need to or could in any other state).
On the road, it is limited to 25 mph (though capable of 40)... there are points both for and against Supacats

These Gibbs seem interesting, if you’re not concern about road registering.
http://www.gibbssports.com/quadski
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

David - You're a mad man! and beat me to most of my response. I love it!

What do you know about the M656? Is it amphibious, or a serious forder? pun intended.
David Dunn wrote:
My first question would be if you want to road register it, or strictly off road and water?
On road
David Dunn wrote: The Schimmwagon replica couldn’t be imported to the US, as it is new manufacture and must meet DOT and EPA.
I researched these last night and agree. There is some gray market here that i would like to avoid. Awesome idea, and if they werent so expensive, they would be perfect!
David Dunn wrote: The Coot is another ATV and not road legal.
agreed, still an awesome little vehicle
David Dunn wrote: The Stalwart is basically a 20k lb 6 wheel drive that’s no faster than a Haffy and not suitable for hard surfaces because of the ‘wind up’ of the wheel drives., and is around 102” wide and 20’ long. I’ve been thinking of one of these for 15 years, and it only takes a few minutes why not to have one every time the desire arises.
Yup. Saw the one here in in Michigan. Its what had me start my daydreaming, and realization of practicality. =(
David Dunn wrote: Gama Goat will make your Pinz like a sound proof Mercedes compare to the noise that 2 stroke Detroit diesel makes.
Thank you, didnt consider the noise. This was on my short list
David Dunn wrote: Hagglunds are also around 20’ long and not street legal due to no steerable wheels ( steering by articulating the front/rear sections)..
Yup
David Dunn wrote: As far as the Supacats, MK2 and newer do have steerable wheels (along with skid steer). They do have all the typical safety devices as most road vehicles… headlamps, tail lamps, brake/turn lamps, horn, and 4 point seat belts.
In Cal, I did get one road registered as SE ( special equipment) , and did manage to get insurance ( and I wouldn’t know if you’d need to or could in any other state).
On the road, it is limited to 25 mph (though capable of 40)... there are points both for and against Supacats
I researched these last night as well. Watched the video with the inflatable side bags for buoyancy. On the VERY short list
David Dunn wrote: These Gibbs seem interesting, if you’re not concern about road registering.
http://www.gibbssports.com/quadski
That went to Facebook immediately. Thats mid life crisis written all over it!
Last edited by audiocontr on Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

GenevaPinz wrote:It seems unfortunately that Ford GPA amphibious Jeeps are in the same price range, which would then veer us towards less "conventional" designs.
This would have been perfect, even with all their shortcomings! Perfect for the area, perfect for my employer, all and all a fantastic choice - but not at the $90k price tag!
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Andre wrote:Would a Schwimmwagon work?
http://schwimmwagenreplica.com/index.html
I was excited when i read how many were produced. Choked when I read current cost.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

On Supacats
I researched these last night as well. Watched the video with the inflatable side bags for buoyancy. On the VERY short list
Where did you see the video with the side bags? I had heard that they had been used, but never seen any. Supposedly to help the freeboard. I have seen them with the old Series LRs back in the '60s.
The Supacats aren't known as the best of swimmers, but they do weigh almost 4x that of any of the ATVs. Payload restrictions on land vs water don't help when the driver doesn't remember and trys swimming with 2600 lbs of payload instead of 900. The movie " Run silent, Run Deep" comes to mind. :roll: :lol:
They do require training to drive correctly... they do love to porpoise on the road at speed if you don't play attention to road conditions. An "E" ride :mrgreen:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

Gama Goats are also articulated, with 4 wheel non-self-centering steering and, as such, are TERRIFYING and EXHAUSTING to drive at speed, on a twisting road, or in traffic..
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

No, no, no. You're all on the wrong track! :D
Amphibious alternative to the pinz? Already in USA?
This is what Audiocontr is looking for:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Russian-BTR60-P ... 1958541643