2 Door Range Rover

Posts about other Real 4x4's. Examples: Unimogs, Steyr-Puch G-wagens, Tatra, MAN, ex-military, etc. Please keep posts related to rare 4x4's, Euro/military/industrial and portal axle related off-road trucks. (This is not a Jeep forum)
David Dunn
United States of America

2 Door Range Rover

Post by David Dunn »

Now, this is what I call eloquent. The original 2 door Range Rover. A later gray market (1989) with a 2.4L VM turbodiesel engine and 5-speed manual transmission.
IF I wasn't in Commiefornia, I'd be all over this like "stink on _ _ _ _". :mrgreen: I love that it's unmolested with the original steel wheels

It's for sale here : http://www.valenciaclassicvehicles.com/new-page/
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Re: 2 Door Range Rover

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

One of my personal favorites, and shockingly capable off-road.

You could always buy one of those $1000 non-running Ca. RRover's and trade certain parts around and... bam! Ca. legal.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Well, the Range Rover's drivetrain did become what was used in the Defenders and Discoverys
It was also funny that a few years after AMC and Renault had partnered that the the Jeep Cherokee looked at lot like the RR. :roll: :lol:
You could always buy one of those $1000 non-running Ca. RRover's and trade certain parts around and... bam! Ca. legal.
Until you try to explain the VM diesel at the smog station :?

I did have a '88 RR that has tried to come back to me, :roll: I just love the look of the original 2 doors. And I do like the idea of the VM.

Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

That vehicle is greatly molested - the 2 doors ended in about 1981 and never had the VM diesel - 3.5V8s only. It was the later 80s 4 doors that had the VM - a most troublesome engine. Likewise the grill is off a much later model as the 2 doors had the vertical grill.

This vehicle started as a 70s/early 80s 2 door and has been upgraded to late 80s 4 door spec but they have left the original wheels.
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6
1971 Jaguar Series 3 E-Type Conv
1957 Landrover 88" Station Wagon
1957 Landrover 88"
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

So it would match even better to an early 70's RR. Very easy to register one of those anywhere and exempt from everything. 8)

Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Much better to go an original example rather than a modified vehicle - original with its standard Buick V8 should be registerable anywhere in the US.
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
1957 Landrover 88"
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

True, usually, but that motor sucks. A 300Tdi would fit in this nicely and make it fly with good mileage.

Garrycol
Australia

Post by Garrycol »

Have you seen the prices that original 2 doors bring - they are now a classic and originality is highly prized like it is in all old cars.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Range-Rover-1 ... SwOgdYzp9k

You are correct the TDI goes in really well and if you are going the do those sort of mods it is better to do them to a later 4 door from the early 80s which are not collectable and you have a much nicer vehicle to live with - in the late 90s here in Aust we even went through the silly stage of putting in Chev V8 Diesels in them - before the engines overheated the cars went like crap but sounded oh so nice.

Cheers

Garry

PS I stand corrected - the subject vehicle is not modified - while 2 doors were phased out in RHD in the early 80s they continued to be made in LHD - maybe by Santana in Spain but I dont know. They did have the VM in them etc as the subject vehicle has. I have been a close follower of classic Range Rovers since they first came out in 1971 and nearly bought a new one in 1976 and never knew production of the 2 door continued in LHD well after they stopped in RHD for the "British" countries where the steering wheel is on the correct side of the car :lol:
1973 Haflinger AP700
1977 Landrover FC 101
1957 Landrover 88"
63rover
Canada

Post by 63rover »

The Classic has now joined the Series 1 in being able to be factory rebuilt as long you have the money.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Surprisingly I found another 2 Dr Range Rover for sale in the US that was from Spain also, and had a VIN listed. Using a decoder, it was made by Land Rover in Solihull as a RR (mk1), 100"wb, 3 dr station wagon, LHD and 5 speed and MY '89/90. The only item missing from the decoder was "N" for the VM engine (the list has several other diesels listed)

It has been a long time since I've looked at eBay auctions in the UK, and after scanning a few, remember why.... little catch phases like : Rust free ( meaning you're not charged for the rust ), a little TLC needed ( usually the frame has so many patches you don't know what is original).... or prime for restoration ( I don't even want to go there :roll: )

If you go to the website above, you can click on the pic and it will go through a collection of pics of the vehicle.

Trying to think back before the web, I don't remember how I found Land Rover stuff back in the '70s and '80s... heck, I don't remember what I had for breakfast this morning. :lol: