6x6 from hell

Posts about other Real 4x4's. Examples: Unimogs, Steyr-Puch G-wagens, Tatra, MAN, ex-military, etc. Please keep posts related to rare 4x4's, Euro/military/industrial and portal axle related off-road trucks. (This is not a Jeep forum)
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

6x6 from hell

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Uh, what the...? Fastest 6x6 ever.
https://youtu.be/U6LE32UWUHU
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

undysworld
Norway

Re: 6x6 from hell

Post by undysworld »

VinceAtReal4x4s wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 1:38 pm Uh, what the...? Fastest 6x6 ever.
https://youtu.be/U6LE32UWUHU
Fastest ever? Maybe.

An old guy nearby had a "tree harvester" he'd built out of a surplus GM military prototype chassis. It was 6x6, 4-wheel steer, and (from what he claimed) originally had 48" tires and was powered by a Lycoming helicopter engine. He said the army claimed a 0-60mph of around 6 seconds. Maybe not as fast at the Devel, but Devel doesn't seem to advertise a 0-60 time, so who knows?

FWIW: The tree harvester was powered by a small v-8, coupled through three transmissions inline, and smaller dia. tires, so it went pretty slow. It had an old Chicago firetruck cab fitted with hydraulic steering, a huge dump bed with two winches at the front - one small aircraft cable winch and a larger tank-retrieval winch, and a giant roll-bar thing over the tailgate. He'd back the truck to a woods, pull the small cable out to a snatch-block on a tree and use that to pull out the main cable. Then he'd fell the tree, grab it with the winch, and pull it through the roll-bar, crushing the limbs in. He'd cut it up on the truck, as the bed had a central strip of planks surrounded by enormous woven wire panels, and the sawdust just fell through. When he was done, he'd dump the load in his yard.

I can't vouch for his performance claims about the original prototype, but I actually saw the tree harvester.
It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport. Fridjof Nansen
I hope to die in my ski boots... ...just not today. Me