The new Defender Land Rover

Posts about other Real 4x4's. Examples: Unimogs, Steyr-Puch G-wagens, Tatra, MAN, ex-military, etc. Please keep posts related to rare 4x4's, Euro/military/industrial and portal axle related off-road trucks. (This is not a Jeep forum)
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

The new Defender Land Rover

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Rover has been a car-maker for several years now in my opinion. My take on the new "defender" is: It could be worse..?

I think you have to compare it relative to what else is being made now, which are a bunch of either cars with 4wheel drive, or pick-ups. This is kinda in between, right? I mean, it could be worse... I do like the interior layout and am impressed (relative) that it's very customizable though $4800 extra for a few add-ons and a snorkel??
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2984 ... 0-pricing/
Attachments
land-rover-defender-114-1568058689.jpg
land-rover-defender-114-1568058689.jpg (133.6 KiB) Viewed 1718 times
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Texas710
United States of America

Re: The new Defender Land Rover

Post by Texas710 »

Not sure, looks like a jacked up mini-cooper...
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I'm old school Land Rover, and don't acknowledge any thing after the "in production" style Defenders of the mid "90s and nothing newer than the P38 Range Rovers... mixed feeling on the Discovery ( more a re-skinned plush Defender :roll: ). After the sale to BMW, then Ford and finally Tata (really :shock: ) it became just another car manufacturer, and I feel uninspired...

Give me the days when Land Rovers were called by Series ( after they one to go by :lol: ), wheel base and cab. :) :) :)
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

After driving a disco on and off-road I really liked what they did, in theory. The problem, and it's a big one, was horrific reliability and quality control problems. When I was deep into the Rover world (with my old Series III diesel) I remember it being a big event when they first showed up at one of the giant MAR events in Va.. People had doubts but it performed great in every sense and was super easy to drive, even for first timers. The same owners, not so many years later, were selling fast due to endless visits to the shop. I hope this new D-90 at least goes for 100K miles before it starts acting weird.

pinzi
Belgium

Post by pinzi »

Well if you want to buy a Landrover its best you follow a class mechanic. :roll:
off-road until i die
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

A decent review finally. The payload rating and factory claimed fording depth is pretty impressive, for what it is. It's refreshing they didn't go the full grocery-getter mode like most 4x4's now. I bet they'll be getting outfitted with lots of add-ons and 33" tires and appearing on trails here in the US soon.

https://youtu.be/Dgx_RDTLpwQ Video link
Attachments
Defender_Wading.jpg
Defender_Wading.jpg (60.86 KiB) Viewed 1647 times

Joeri
Belgium

Post by Joeri »

I still think it looks to much like there Discovery model :oops:
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

That is not a Defender - they should just rename it as it has nothing in common with the old Defender.
I don't really like the new G Wagen but at least it can still be called a G Wagen and does not look like some other Mercedes SUV with a G logo on it.
I used to be mad Mercedes made the changes, compared to what LR did to the Defender, I am now pretty happy with the changes they made and all the heritage they kept
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker