Tesla 4x4 Cybertruck. The next phase of 4x4's

Posts about other Real 4x4's. Examples: Unimogs, Steyr-Puch G-wagens, Tatra, MAN, ex-military, etc. Please keep posts related to rare 4x4's, Euro/military/industrial and portal axle related off-road trucks. (This is not a Jeep forum)
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Tesla 4x4 Cybertruck. The next phase of 4x4's

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

It looks like a movie prop from Bladerunner. Like it or not, the specs are kind of amazing. Same with the price! If they truly hit 500 mile charges, then things will change pretty fast in the truck design world. My first thought was, could I find one in a junk yard a few years from now and strip the batteries and motor system out and put that in something I really want to wheel in?

Zero to 60 mph in 2.9 seconds(!!!?), 14,000-pound towing, 16" ground clearance, a stainless steel body, and a base price of $40,000 (for the 4x2).

https://www.tesla.com/cybertruck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpRD0gxUkB0

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/f ... tos-specs/
Attachments
cybertruck-front1.jpg
cybertruck-front1.jpg (375.67 KiB) Viewed 2145 times
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

rmel
United States of America

Re: Tesla 4x4 Cybertruck. The next phase of 4x4's

Post by rmel »

But yet another expensive Mall Crawler IMHO.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
pinzi
Belgium

Post by pinzi »

I think im getting sick after watching that :shock:
off-road until i die
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I have had some passing interest in the Rivian

https://rivian.com/
Attachments
rivian-r1t-outdoors.jpg
rivian-r1t-outdoors.jpg (1.65 MiB) Viewed 2122 times
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

He has to be kidding ://

OK, fess up! Who on the forum placed an order, or a trade-in for your Pinz -- Eh :P

Reuters) - Tesla Inc shares rose 4% on Monday after Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk tweeted over
the weekend that the company had already received 200,000 orders for its futuristic Cybertruck pickup.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

I could never afford that kind of thing but I do know someone that reserved one after seeing the video posted above and he is a motor-head type and isn't into "what's new" at all, but he thinks the writing is on the wall and is ready to post his diesel pickup for sale the second that this, or something like it, is viable.

I've never owned anything made after the 90's so I wouldn't know how to drive it anyway. :DD
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

pinzi
Belgium

Post by pinzi »

They did a pullingtest with a ford pick up and guess who wins :P ( they didn't play it fair)
[img] https://youtu.be/29_QtnMt0X0 [img]
off-road until i die
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

rmel wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:39 pm He has to be kidding ://

OK, fess up! Who on the forum placed an order, or a trade-in for your Pinz -- Eh :P

Reuters) - Tesla Inc shares rose 4% on Monday after Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk tweeted over
the weekend that the company had already received 200,000 orders for its futuristic Cybertruck pickup.
Musk tweeted that as the day before he lost 10% of his wealth due to the failed window tests :)
He just wanted to run the stock up some!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
one2many
Australia

Post by one2many »

500 miles is a very impressive range but without the ability to recharge off grid this doesn’t really represent anything new in the context of an electric expedition vehicle or even a tourer/long distance camper.
For me a truly usable cross country EV must be able to recharge itself off grid.
1985 pinzgauer 712K factory 2.7lt civilian (RHD, 4 door K)
1979 Volvo tgb 1314a (under construction to om606 diesel/722.6 trans. Dual cab/tray)
Heinkeljb
Great Britain

Post by Heinkeljb »

Your current vehicle isn't able to recharge itself off the grid... You have to carry all the fuel you need until you reach a recharging station i.e. a petrol station!
I understand what you mean, but maybe recharging before reaching a "petrol station" in an EV will have to be solar or wind generator and you just have to wait for the batteries to recharge enough to get you where you can use some other source.

EV at least give Joe Blogs the possibility of recharging for a one off payment (i.e. Solar panels or wind generator) and for those with the real mechanical bent or inclination, making their own recharging system. Say Hydro-electric if they have a stream on their property or maybe even a hand or bicycle driven generator - Yes I know that would take forever to charge the batteries, but it could be done - no more reliance on grid electricity.

Just some thoughts.....

John
djw
United States of America

Post by djw »

While you can't count on Tesla to bring every idea into production, several iterations of the cybertruck have some sort of option for a solar roof or solar fold-outs that put 15 miles or more per day into the the battery, presumably above the vampire drain already part of every current Tesla vehicle.

Even this makes more fuel than I could in my Pinz. As long as you aren't in a big hurry to top your battery, it would, it seems, eventually give you unlimited off the grid range, provided the sun doesn't go out.
'74 710K (ÖBH Austrian Rehab) mostly unmolested original - the unicorn (everything works!)
collecting pinz docs since 2012 - pm me if I can help