New Mercedes Mil-Spec G-Wagon

Posts about other Real 4x4's. Examples: Unimogs, Steyr-Puch G-wagens, Tatra, MAN, ex-military, etc. Please keep posts related to rare 4x4's, Euro/military/industrial and portal axle related off-road trucks. (This is not a Jeep forum)
pcolette
United States of America

New Mercedes Mil-Spec G-Wagon

Post by pcolette »

Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Re: New Mercedes Mil-Spec G-Wagon

Post by ChickenPinz »

Not much suspension travel it seems:
Mercedes-Benz-G-Klasse-W464-Militaer-Behoerden-3-1-640x427.jpg
Mercedes-Benz-G-Klasse-W464-Militaer-Behoerden-3-1-640x427.jpg (68.48 KiB) Viewed 1553 times
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

As with the Pinz, Steyr designed the 4x4 system with lockers in mind. The lack of flex isn't an issue. My old G would out-wheel any conventional 4x4 made, often with ease.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

I've compared my FJ Cruiser to the 710K on the trail, and the FJ in rocky areas did a much better job of keeping it's feet in contact with the ground than either the Pinz or the newer 4Runner in our group down at Hollister. Not saying the FJ was better overall, but it seemed generally more in control due to the more continuous tire contact with ground.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

It's also about adjusting your understanding of how to drive off-road. Land Rover's (Series/Defenders, Classic RR's) have more flex than just about anything stock but no lockers and they need a certain approach. A G-wagen has less flex but is far stronger and has lockers so it needs a different approach as well. The Pinz... same thing. Unimog's too, and while they are locked up and flex well,they weigh far more than any normal 4x4 so need another approach altogether.

After learning a rig inside and out, it can be pushed in ways that a newcomer would not be comfortable with nor understand. It took me a good while of wheeling my old 710 to finally get it. When I did, I was very hard to follow. Same with my first 4x4, a '72 Rover. After a few years of rally events with nasty east coast trails, a few 4x4 competitions and lots of exploring creeks and abandoned logging trails, I got to where it was like a part of me and I could do things like push the side-hill lean within 1 degree of rolling over, and I could pick lines that kept my unlocked tires mostly touching the ground and I even went up rough climbs that locked D-90's had issues with more than once.

A Gwagen, with some practice, can be almost like cheating to drive off-road. Ultra tough (more than any other conventional 4x4) and locked up, it can just do things others can't or would break trying. They are military 4x4's first; all the trim and stupid big wheels, etc. are part of unfortunate marketing issues. If they have a weakness it's in their weight. The toughness comes at that price. The ones used in the Euro trophy races are usually lightened up a good bit. Oh and I think on that G pic, it likely has some heavy duty anti-sway bars connected. Mine flexed more than that for sure.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!