A G-wagen I had.

Posts about other Real 4x4's. Examples: Unimogs, Steyr-Puch G-wagens, Tatra, MAN, ex-military, etc. Please keep posts related to rare 4x4's, Euro/military/industrial and portal axle related off-road trucks. (This is not a Jeep forum)
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

A G-wagen I had.

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

I'm going through some old photos and found these of a G I partially restored (it didn't need much). Nothing too exciting but I liked this one more than some due to the cool red color and lack of any extras, like the often seen fender flares, extra bumpers, aftermarket wheels (these are stock, mil. spec 16"). This was 100% stock which includes those factory Hella fog lights. It was a 1981 280GE with lockers front and rear and with the "barn doors", and was sold probably about 7 years ago on the east coast.

And again for those new to Pinzgauers, the same mother gave birth to these trucks and the Pinz in Austria; it was a separate building just a short walk away from the smaller Pinz factory building.
Attachments
DSC_0507.JPG
DSC_0507.JPG (1.07 MiB) Viewed 960 times
DSC_0499.JPG
DSC_0499.JPG (1015.4 KiB) Viewed 960 times
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

mopar
United States of America

Re: A G-wagen I had.

Post by mopar »

Nice truck the red reminds me of my old red 718M especial with the black grill and headlamp bucket definitely can see the family resemblance. Kind of funny the plastic rub rail have a very similar profile to metal C channel that has been used as replacement for the wood rail by a bunch of members here. Vince are you partial to red I remember your red C303 also.

1974 712M AKA the Banana
1974 710M AKA the project truck
1987 718M Now Sold
1975 Volvo TGB1111 Now Sold
1973 Pinzgauer 712M x2 Now Sold
1963 404S Now Sold
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Very nice, Vince! I wouldn't mind owning one like that if I could find one as clean.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Thanks. Yeah I do like red for some reason, esp. when its contrasted just right with black like this one. The first G I had was red as well. The one here was bought purely as an investment so I didn't really drive it or enjoy it much, plus it wasn't a diesel which is the only G worthwhile in my opinion.

crcpinz

Post by crcpinz »

Vince, I know some people who have these, although the new ones, and say they need the G500 at least since they are very heavy and therefore underpowered. I'd like some thoughts from you on this point, since the new ones are for millionaires.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1976 710K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000163282080
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

I think someone asked this same thing very recently. Anyway, yes the new ones with the big V8 are really nice and powerful but its heavy in electronics, like all new cars, it eats fuel very quickly, getting something like 14mpg and of course the price is around $100K for a newer one. They are fast as hell so if you need that and like to do 80mph on the highway then its the only way to go.

Mine is a 1979 which is the first year they were made and I like that its as simple as the Pinz I had, or maybe even more simple. The 300 diesel motor isn't that powerful but I can do 65mph when needed and get around 19mpg. I can also burn veg. oil which I do a lot of. I also feel great when I'm 80 miles from the nearest paved road with one of the most legendary engines ever built, that routinely last over 300,000 miles. (mine has about 150K on it)

It is probably about the same speed as a Pinz. I guess it's all about your lifestyle and what you need from a 4x4. My G is set up for real off-roading with a bed in the back, fridge/cooler, 33" tires and a winch up front; I don't pretend it's good enough as an everyday car, esp. not in So. California traffic, so I don't use it that way... the little 4cyl I have takes me on those trips instead. ;)

VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

I have yet to see a G500 out in places like I was a couple months back. I'm sure some do get out there, but i assume those guys make 100 times the money I do.
Attachments
Utah300gdRock4.jpg
Utah300gdRock4.jpg (366.5 KiB) Viewed 908 times

pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Vince,
I'm looking for some type of mount for the spare tire. It's currently just flopping around in the back (not a good idea!) and I like the looks of the swing-away mount on the 280 you posted. Do you or anyone else have an idea where I could find one like that or a suitable alternative?
Thanks and Happy New Year!
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Im on the road so only have a second, but, they all have the provisions/holes for that mount (or should). But what doors do you have? Cant recall. I can ask someone if he has any extras, if you have the barn doors.

pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Yes I have the barn doors. Thanks Vince!
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
CentAr712
United States of America

Post by CentAr712 »

What size tires are on that red 280 GE? I currently have BFG/AT 235/75R15 on my 280GE, but want to go bigger and am not sure what would be my upper size limit. I would possibly like to go with a BFG/MT in the smallest size, 32X11.5R15LT, but am afraid that may be too big. Any opinions?
Chris.
https://www.supanik.com/pinz
'76 712M Rapier Cargo (Swiss), For Sale
'83 MB W460 280GE G-Wagen, For Sale
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

I run 33x10.50/15's. They may rub slightly on the radius arm at full turn but you can adjust that out of it with the stops. I was in Moab/SW Utah for 2 weeks and flexed as much as you ever could and I didn't have issues.

After having 33's, I can't imagine ever going smaller. (I do have 50mm poly spacers on the springs for the subtle lift but they are old springs.)

That red 280 had 235/85's but those would have been switched if I could have kept it.

By the way, I know where an amazing red, 2-door, 1984 diesel is for sale that looks a lot like that 280 above. It was a G that I wanted to buy for a LONG time but never could pull it off. Anyway the guy wants to sell it and offered it to me first. I'd sell everything I have to buy it but it's still out of my reach. If anyone is looking for a 2-door diesel, PM me. He is in the $19k range.

VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Here is a pic of the one that's for sale. It's my personal dream G but, oh well.
It's in Tx. It has a rare overdrive 5 speed and upgraded 602 TD motor. Should cruise well at 70mph.
I will offer to buy it in a few years if you get it. :D
(Assuming I didnt somehow luck into a 716K before then)
Attachments
IMGP1184.JPG
IMGP1184.JPG (349.33 KiB) Viewed 681 times