Valve tappets and engine code - surprise !!!!

Engine issues go here.
Ugo

Valve tappets and engine code - surprise !!!!

Post by Ugo »

My TD user manual says that the engine may have either adjustable or hydraulic valve tappets, and engine code changes according to it.
So, I checked the code of my engine to know which type of tappets it has, and ... surprise! The engine of my ex-Swedish 716K has what appears a Volvo code (i.e. D24T) instead of a VW one on it !
Is this normal? Were Volvo and VW overhauled engines swapped by mechanics, indifferently?
And, how can I know which tappets I have without taking off the valve cover?

Cheers,
Ugo
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Ugo,

I believe though I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong that the VW TD 6Cyl was used in some Volvo passenger cars such as the 740 etc.
Anthony
GB
The true Pinzgauer´s

Post by The true Pinzgauer´s »

There are not much differents between VW and Volvo engine.
The Volvo engine has one more Water plug at the upper end of the cylinder bloc ( for pinz it had to close) , the oil pan is different -so there is one more hole at the underplat of Cyl bloc on the left side( it had also to be closed). The head cover is also differnt -it has his oil input at the rear side. All this things can easy change from you old genuar engine. But the main problem are the oil nozzels for pistons cooling- they had to be changed to the reinforced version- if not they can break under cross coutry ride ( i had 3 engines with this problem).
Which art of the tappets are mount in your engine ,you can easiest find out if you remove your head cover .There is no other Volvo engine code for selecting, bouth are mounted under Td24 . The hydro Head has other camshafts ,pully drives and a shorter under-pressure Pump, but you can´t see it outside. You also cannot go after the number of the cylinder head on the left front side ,it is only the casting number of the blank.