718 Starter

Engine issues go here.
NM_Mogman

718 Starter

Post by NM_Mogman »

Does anyone out there happen to have a spare starter for a 718 that they would be willing to part with? My Pinz is in the shop right now and the starter was pulled for a rebuild but, I was told that there are some gears missing out of it and it was jurry-rigged to work. SAV is out of stock still waiting to hear back from EI about theirs. I would like to get one ASAP, without having to pay out the nose to have one sent across the pond... Feel free to PM me or just email me at PHILLIP.TUPELU@gmail.com

Thanks,
Phil
NM_Mogman

Re: 718 Starter

Post by NM_Mogman »

Next question:

Is there an alternate part number that could be used in place of the factory starter? Would a starter from a Volvo 760 (or any other car/truck that uses the D24t motor) diesel work on the Pinz as that car had the same motor?
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

Missing some gears??? That sounds like a ridiculous explanation.
'76 710K
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

The Bosch Part Number for the 24V TD Starter is:
0 001 219 008.
You may be able to source a unit using this number.

I had a quick look online and found "onlinecarparts.co.uk" list it as been available but it is 1057.95 Pounds ($1662 US) :(
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
NM_Mogman

Post by NM_Mogman »

Stekay:
I was a bit skeptical about the missing bits but, SGB Pinzgauer also said that they have come across modified starters on some of their builds. The shop is a well respected, older business here locally and I have no reason to doubt their claim, especially since they are the ones who called it out and suggested that I not waste the money rigging it back to a working condition, which they could do.

Profpinz:
Thank you for posting the part number for me. I used it in trying to source a starter locally, possibly from a Volvo 760, but happened across the one SAV had in stock while trying to find other part numbers for the local shop to try. I did find a starter at SAV and it looks like it will arrive tomorrow! I can't wait to finally be able to drive it again, as it has been in some state of repair since early August.

Take care,
Phil
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Glad to hear you got a new starter....... Hope you get your Pinny back on the road asap.

BTW, as the TD's use a planetary geared starter as opposed to the air-cooled's standard style, I guess it is "feasible" that the gears were damaged or even one (there are 3 planetary gears) was missing.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
Stekay
United States of America

Post by Stekay »

Thanks for the explanation Prof. I'd assume if a planet gear was broken it might have been removed and run with just the 2 planets, or it was converted to direct drive with a significant reduction in torque and hike in amperage draw.
'76 710K
Lorenz

Post by Lorenz »

We have new Aftermarket Starters for € 449.- inkl. Tax.

Happy X-Mas
Lorenz
NM_Mogman

Post by NM_Mogman »

Lorenz,

I will definitely keep your info, thanks! I ended up finding one at SAV and it was quickly delivered. The Pinz is FINALLY funning again!

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Phil
NM_Mogman

Post by NM_Mogman »

Just an update on my starter...

I finally got my engine built and installed. On my second day of driving, my starter engaged whilst I was driving on a very busy road. Lucky, I was in the right lane and had to stop for a red light because my wife exclaimed that there was smoke coming from the doghouse. She was sitting in back because my grandson was in the front with his car seat. Just then, I smelled that wonderful burned clutch smell and immediately killed the ignition. Thankfully traffic had gone around me, and after a quick lifting of the cover I saw no more smoke or any sign of fire, so we decided to push it backwards into the gas station parking lot right next to us. A few nice people saw us get out and ran over to help push the "cool looking Jeep"...yeah, Karma got them back for that comment with 7K lbs of Pinzgauer, pushed up a slight incline! Once parked, I answered lots of questions and said many "thank you"'s, then got to investigating. The starter was super hot, and when I moved the wiring a little, a bare spot where the plastic got hot and brittle, welded a nice hole in the heat shroud. Unfortunately for me, my Pinz did NOT come with a battery isolator, so I had to disconnect the battery cables. While the power was cut, I decided to tape up the wire and hope I could get a good start and head home. Meanwhile, I had called a friend with an U1700 Unimog for a possible tow, and he showed up just as I had reconnected the batteries. While we were talking, and with nobody in the vehicle, the starter tried to engage. I looked to see if I had left the "key" in the start position but it was off, so I hurried up and disconnected the batteries again. So, after only about 20-30 starts, my starter was toast and I had to order a new one. As it turns out (and thankfully I installed a battery disconnect) there is something wrong with my ignition. I would love to get my hands on the wiring diagram for this truck! Anyway, I worked around the problem with a multi-sequence ignition that should make it pretty hard on would-be thieves.

I just thought I would share this little experience, in case anyone else might develop subtle problems with their "key"-less ignition. Looking back, you had to be real careful with your "key" position while attempting a start. A little too much motion going from position 1 to position 2, and the "key" would not turn any further to engage the starter...it was quite the annoyance, but I had no idea the ignition was about to malfunction and destroy my new starter. Hopefully this will save someone $500+!
pinzi
Belgium

Post by pinzi »

Volvo 740, 850 2.5tdi, and v70 s70 2.5tdi....they should all fit...the 850 and v70/s70 ones are smaller becouse they have a reduction gearing . :wink:
off-road until i die
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

pinzi wrote:Volvo 740, 850 2.5tdi, and v70 s70 2.5tdi....they should all fit...the 850 and v70/s70 ones are smaller becouse they have a reduction gearing . :wink:
attention, these are 12 V vehicles, thus the starters are oly compatible with 12 Volt / civilian Pinzgauers
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
pinzi
Belgium

Post by pinzi »

Hotzenplotz wrote:
pinzi wrote:Volvo 740, 850 2.5tdi, and v70 s70 2.5tdi....they should all fit...the 850 and v70/s70 ones are smaller becouse they have a reduction gearing . :wink:
attention, these are 12 V vehicles, thus the starters are oly compatible with 12 Volt / civilian Pinzgauers
Yes...as i have a 12v civillian pinz....but they will fit, dont know of you could change the startingsystem to 12v, but
I think this could be done.
off-road until i die