Aux gearbox oil level high, why??

Anything DIESEL driveline, axle, suspension related goes here.
hardro33

Aux gearbox oil level high, why??

Post by hardro33 »

Aux gearbox oil level high??

Can anyone please explain why the oil level in my aux gearbox is consistantly high?? does the oil come from rear diff?? what is the problem?? could this lead to pressure in the aux gearbox as my shaft seals were leaking and i have had them replaced but they still leak? is there a vent anywhere to release pressure?

I am so sorry for so many questions, I am a very proud owner thats currently driving his wife and three year old around Australia in a P95 TD that is converted to camper by OEC in the uk. We are now in Darwin to work and top up funds after 8 months and 10,000 miles on the track living the dream. Unfortunately I am not a great mechanic but have workshop manuals and try my best. any help gratefully recieved.
Regards
Tyron Harding
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

Just guesses here

there is a breather on the front rhs side of the central tube, could check, its linked to the the rear bulkhead in the engine bay on the rhs, under the engine cover. It is connected to the transmission also. So maybe blocked, maybe passing pressure from one side to the other

Also check the seals on the diff and awd locks as I have heard of them sucking oil back to the bottles, not sure if can work opposite

If a 716 I cannot see how the rear diff could pressure the transfer case.

I'll post this on a few other forums as a interesting problem
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

This topic has been hashed through in the 710/12 forum and groups many times.

A simple answer... gravity. As Mike explained, there is a breather on the central tube (not original to the 710/12, but an upgrade later). The single breather was enough for the whole drivetrain... and if air can move from component to component, so can liquids. The sump for the t case and portals are all the low point.
Also check your portals fluid level to see if they're high also. Then check the diffs to see which is low. If they are ok, "I" would assume that the diffs have leaked into the front drive tube and/or the spacer for years and mechanics have been topping off the diffs, and now the fluids are finding their way 'down stream'.

Don't assume it's coming from the rear, you should be waking to a 716 that is 'sitting on it's arse' in the morning... waiting for the bags to be pumped back up. :wink:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
hardro33

Post by hardro33 »

Thanks for the replys, will investigate further the breather pipe and levels. forgeting for a moment where the oil is coming from, could the high level of oil in aux box be the cause of my new shaft seals to leak??? I have just had this job done at a mechanics and he cant understand why they are still leaking?
kind regards
Ty
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

We talking about the input shaft and 2 output shafts on the transfer box?

Or axle?

Curious as to change the output seals is a major operation
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
hardro33

Post by hardro33 »

where the prop shaft joins the drive shaft, behind the driving flange there are two seals back to back PN 902.3807. they have been replaced but are still leaking around drive shaft?
regards
Ty
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

I never changed one of them. I wonder if it is worthwhile to yank it out and see if it is the correct seal and or if the seal was damaged during installation (especially if it is one of those fancy dual lipped seal things.

Also if the shaft surface is damaged

Just thinking out loud as is an interesting and I bet annoying problem for you
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Grab the cardon shaft just above the u joint and see if you can move the shaft laterally. On the gas Pinzes, it is common for the short length and steep angle that the u joint will beat up the bearings, giving a lot of sideward movement at the trans and t case. Even though the cardon is longer in the TDs ( even with the auto box), a good thing to check.

And yes, the above comments are on topic... now get your mind out of the gutter :lol: :roll:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)