oil in wheel drive

Anything DIESEL driveline, axle, suspension related goes here.
Garymartin

oil in wheel drive

Post by Garymartin »

was in the process of draining & replacing my wheel drive oils,all going well,until front passenger side,loosened filler plug, oil came pouring out,more oil than the previous drives,where is this extra oil coming from?also noticed slight leak from yellow boot.any ideas?

Regards

Garymartin.
fesm_ndt

Re: oil in wheel drive

Post by fesm_ndt »

My guesses

Oil in the yellow seal would be from the cup seal with sealent (if P93) and cup seal with o ring (if P90). There is also a wiper seal on the ball

On the end of the axle sleeve there is an o ring

Could it have been overfilled?

I got piccies of most the innards
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
Garymartin

Post by Garymartin »

Hi Mike,
the way it poured out I think it must be a seal gone, I am going to have an other look @ it in the morning,would the excess oil come from the diff box ?,also if I keep the diff box full,without replacing seal,can I drive without doing any damage?

Regards

Gary.
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

Your could take the clamp off the larger diameter on the yellow boot and see if oil comes out and also take the axle holding bolt out and see iff oil comes out there also.

The best thing about the yellow boots is that they contain the oil as the half cuff type with bolts open up and leak.

I would double check the diff is not overfull as the idea is to take the top filler out and remove the lower one and fill under oil comes out the lower one. Sounds daft but I overfilled one of mine as when your brain sees to filler plugs you think the top one is the fill point, same on the transfer case.

I think as long as your levels are up it is not going to be a concern.

One last thing, check the breather on the RHS that goes up to the box on the rear bulkhead. From memory it is just behind the diff on the chassis tube.
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
Garymartin

Post by Garymartin »

drained the rest of the axle drives today,oil poured out of one other filler plug,checked oil levels in the diff units,oil poured out of level plug on 2 units,same 2 as axle drives,so I am assuming it was an over fill problem.is this a correct assumption?

Regards

Garymartin.
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

Garymartin wrote:drained the rest of the axle drives today,oil poured out of one other filler plug,checked oil levels in the diff units,oil poured out of level plug on 2 units,same 2 as axle drives,so I am assuming it was an over fill problem.is this a correct assumption?

Regards

Garymartin.
Sounds like it as I was trying to picture it in my head as the halfshaft has no o ring that I recall as the oil splashes up from the lower half of the case. If it was over full oil could I guess go down the halfshaft.

Hopefully it hasnt damaged your hub seals but seeing first evidence was coming out the plug, not a leak so that looks good.

You may have some oil in the central tube, but call it extra rust protection :D
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
Garymartin

Post by Garymartin »

Thanks mike,
went on a charity off road course yesterday,great fun first time off road ,no grinding coming from diffs or portals,but will check oil levels this week.rear diff filler plug worn so hex key just spins,might try tapping with hammer & chisel also level plug on same diff stuck will try a tube on ratchet handle. Sometimes I think it is more reliable to service these these vehicles yourself,at least you find problems instead of them being ignored!sorry for waffling on.

regards

Garymartin.
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

Garymartin wrote:Thanks mike,
went on a charity off road course yesterday,great fun first time off road ,no grinding coming from diffs or portals,but will check oil levels this week.rear diff filler plug worn so hex key just spins,might try tapping with hammer & chisel also level plug on same diff stuck will try a tube on ratchet handle. Sometimes I think it is more reliable to service these these vehicles yourself,at least you find problems instead of them being ignored!sorry for waffling on.

regards

Garymartin.
I am a firm believer unless you got loads of cash you have to be able to do a lot of work for yourself to be able to afford to own these TD's.

I was looking at these http://www.expedition-imports.com/produ ... -Head.html I keep forgetting to ask if they are the same but pretty sure they are. I guess I need 8

I had one plug stuck so I had a hammer with a pipe handle which provided great leverage. The plug went from stuck to unstuck instantly and the hammer smacked me in the cheekbone. The F word got muttered several times
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Check the hub oil levels again in a few weeks, if it is overfull again it will need inner axle seal replacements(diff teardown required).
The stub housing has a seal that rides on the crown wheel carrier and keeps the oil in the diff.
If it is an inner axle seal, you will have to remove the portal axle drive assembly and split the diff housing. This is the time to replace worn/leaking stop rings, dust seals and worn boots.
One note: After removing gear carrier from housing you can pull/or press out the bearing to replace the inner seal.
Very labor intensive, so replace anything that is questionable :wink:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Garymartin

Post by Garymartin »

Thanks Jim,

Have driven 70 miles since oil change,just checked all the wheel drives,no oil level issues yet,so I am hoping it was over fill problem,will check them again next month.Also replaced 1 drain plug & 2 filler plugs.just received spare plugs/washers from S-TEC very prompt service they provide,only ordered on Tuesday.Also it could be my imagination,but the drive gear seems a lot quieter.used Mobile Glygoyle 30 for axle drives and Castrol EPX 80W-90 for diffs. Transfer box next,thank you for all your input.

regards

Garymartin.