broken air suspension, outback australia.....HELP!!!!

Anything DIESEL driveline, axle, suspension related goes here.
David Dunn
United States of America

Re: broken air suspension, outback australia.....HELP!!!!

Post by David Dunn »

Gee Mike... thought that was what I had said. :wink:
In the yahoo TD group is a listing for several different springs for the 716s.
Also, on my truck, the front has a longer cup pin and another 3/4" (19mm) extension on top of that.
The markings are worn off the springs, so I have no idea what was done. At first, I thought the springs were swapped front to rear and the entensions were added to the front, but I just am not sure... the truck had a Sepson hydraulic winch in front, and once removed the front went up 1".
The air lines are rotted in a couple places, so the air springs don't come into place, and as stated before, the compressor has cycled only twice in the last 9 years..... both times with 1000 lbs +/- in the rear, and at speed over bumps, then turned off . I'd replace the lines if I thought it would make any difference, but that would be if I could put the original springs in the rear.

Ty, I would recommend upping the springs in the rear, or at least installing longer spring cup pins to reduce the load on the air springs.

This is the normal stance for my truck. This is with the 8.25 XZLs... so it is a bit of a climb up into

The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

David Dunn wrote:Gee Mike... thought that was what I had said. :wink:
No you said uprated springs :lol: But if you compressor rarely comes on my guess that is what you have as the other pinz I heard about it done on was also ex Swedish

It's pretty easy to tell if you got front springs on the rear as the rear springs will look like the front ones :roll: . Ok that sounds weird but the rear stock rear springs are much thinner and lest twists than the front springs. Using a spring compressor on the front is back breaking and on the rear a easy.

Front spring - sorry a bit far off but even at this distance you can see its heaps beefier

The rear piece of string
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

It is an interesting topic

I hoped we might get some feedback from people with this mod. I also wondered if the rear end would be more skittish in an empty 716 with the harder springs but you need someone who has driven one of each
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

I said 'heavier', not uprated! :lol:
From memory :roll: , the front and rear springs looked the same... when I get home tonight, I'll look closer, plus get pics of the front pins.
I would be surprised if only 2 716s hads been changed.... uprated... ok, happy now? I said it just for you.... and your ordinary 716! :lol: :lol:

The 716K that had been on ebay ( sooo many times) had a Hiab crane on it originally, and I would have expected it to have the same mod...uprating.. :wink:

As far as driving, I wouldn't expect there to be any handling difference, since the 'uprated' springs only bring the rear end up to normal ride height without pumping..... but if you want me to test it, you can send me a pair of rear springs.... and a couple of fold down side rails, and a P90 radiator and shroud and a.... :lol:

fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

I got I think 3 spare P90 noses

Getting worried that I have way too many pinz bits

The heavier springs are most likely a bit better for rear end stability as less body roll. But this is based on what I heard here as the guys like to pump the springs up and go around corners
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

David Dunn wrote:I said 'heavier', not uprated! :lol:

.... and your ordinary 716! :lol: :lol:
My bad as I was using my Blackberry so a mixture of getting too old to use teeny screens and my Aussie English

Ordinary 716/718 :lol:

Did you get the jackal piccies?
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

fesm_ndt wrote:...My bad as I was using my Blackberry so a mixture of getting too old to use teeny screens and my Aussie English

Ordinary 716/718 :lol:

Did you get the jackal piccies?
I got rid of my "smartphone" and use an iPad for mobile use... that screen is small enough for me. :lol:
Sorry, I've meaning to respond on the Jackal pics...Stop teasing me !.... next time just send me the real thing! :mrgreen:

Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

I got rid of my "smartphone" and use an iPad for mobile use... that screen is small enough for me.
You must have deep pockets Dave! ....... (for the iPad to fit in) :wink:

I saw a guy this morning wandering around Bunnings (Aussie Hardware chain) talking on his iPad and I was wondering where he kept it :D :D :D

The Oz military is getting 6X6 Jackals, except they will be called "Nary" (or I guess "Naries") after a soldier who was killed in 2005......but the Pinny's will do me :D :D 8)
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
Tads

Post by Tads »

A few more notes on rear suspension:

1. UK MOD spec rear springs were only uprated so that in the event of a punctured airbag the suspension wasn't on the bumpstops at full load.
2. The rear spring + airbag combination is fine up to the plated limit for the rear axle. The compressor only has to work to get the air suspension up to pressure. If there aren't any leaks in the system compressors should have a long life.
3. Disconnecting the air suspension means that the load proportioning system for the rear brake bias won't be working. This determines the load on the rear axle, and hence the amount of rear brake pressure to allow, by monitoring air suspension pressure. If the air spring pressure is lower because the coil spring is uprated then you'll have less rear brake force than previously for the same load.
4. Increasing rear coil spring rate will alter handling characteristics. As a general principle increasing rear spring stiffness will increase the tendency for oversteer which you've probably already got enough of in a swing-axled, rear drive, high CoG vehicle like a Pinz!

This isn't to say that for a particular load configuration there isn't benefit in reviewing spring rates but just fitting front coils to the rear axle because the air suspension is playing up might not always be the best option.

Will be interesting to see what the Oz military make of the Supacat, certainly a bit of a change from Perenties.
hardro33

Post by hardro33 »

Hello again, Im pretty sure my problem arose from a faulty relay sticking on, then the overheat sensor not working. The compressor overheated and melted the plastic "pressure sensor and air dryer component"? and that was it!!!! i have pumped the system up and she is still up so no leaks past the compressor and air dryer. We are very heavy and will address that problem as best we can. My Wabco compressor is still working but i need to replace the melted "pressure sensor solenoid and air dryer"( is that what they are called on the wabco system?) and overheat sensor. Are they available?? from where??? If not available I will get viair replacement from xmod complete with harness(££££+++ ouch!) what is the uprated relay i will need for this?? And lastly, how do you upload pics here?? I see the insert immage tab but dont know how to do it???? I have pics of my melted unit now.
Thanks for all the knowledge shared.
We are safe and currently In Bali on hols (sorry to rub it in for those hard at work!, hence the despair at the breakdown, with flights booked from darwin!) and return to fix up our truck in a few weeks hopefully with all parts needed waiting for us.
Cheers for all the help
Ty and family
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

So your on holidays (in Bali) from a holiday (in Australia) :roll: :lol: :wink: :D
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
hardro33

Post by hardro33 »

Ok, Ok, sounds excessive I know :roll: but Australia has been a working holiday, looking for a place to call home. Over twenty months on road, living in tent, working on stations, building sites and wherever all with a three( four in November) year old daughter and wife to keep happy. If ever i needed a holiday it is now!!!! :wink:

Im stil trying with the pics :?

Ty
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

If you recognise the parts of the Wabco picture above you could try S-Tec in the hope they have some old stock laying around.
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
hardro33

Post by hardro33 »

All fixed at last! I got a new Viair unit from XMod with the Airdryer included, a bit pricey but sorted now. I believe the problem arose from a faulty thermo cutout switch. Thanks for so much advice and help. nice to know your all out there.
Regards
Ty and family :)