718 wheel bearings & seal

Anything DIESEL driveline, axle, suspension related goes here.
NM_Mogman

718 wheel bearings & seal

Post by NM_Mogman »

So, somewhere around the 2,000 mile mark, on my way back home from buying my new 718, I noticed that I had a leaky rear portal. I ended up trailering the Pinz the rest of the way so as not to cause further damage. Once I got home I immediately called around asking for replacement parts. A vendor sourced one for me, but it was supposed to be two weeks out, and the bearing was to cost $190.14 and the seal $38.51!!! About three weeks after that date came and went, the parts finally arrived. I decided to see if I could match the parts locally, for the next time......here is what I found; Same bearing $67.32! Same seal $7.00!!! These parts are available from Gulf Bearing of Dallas, TX. Below is the contact info for the company I just ordered four of each from.

I am all about supporting our local (USA) vendors, but NOT at the expense of throwing away money just for their sake. I know I am not the only one, as evidence by the numerous postings with crossover part numbers, so flame away if you must. Those of you who are looking to save some $$, I hope this helps.

Motion Industries, Inc
Bill Wilson
(505) 884-2606

-Outer Wheel Bearing Part # 9006245 (use RLS16 when ordering from Motion Industries)
Size: 50.8x101.6x20.6 (2"x4"x0.811", it is a British part, which is why it is in inches in the book)

- Outer Wheel Bearing Seal Part # 7161340461
Size: 70x90x10 (2.7559"x3.5433"x0.3937")

I was told that the front outer wheel bearing is the same size/part #, but do not know personally. If anyone has changed their front, and has the numbers (or wanted to send me the old/bad one), I would be happy to take it in and verify.

I just wanted to thank NJ718 for the part # on the bearing way back in August!!

Take care,

Phil
Profpinz
Australia

Re: 718 wheel bearings & seal

Post by Profpinz »

The wheel bearings and seals are standard parts ..... I didn't have any trouble finding them at a local bearing supplier although I had to wait for FAG units to come in and for an imperial bearing to arrive from interstate (as we went metric back in the 60's).

Even the running seal on the stub axle is not unique to the TD Pinzgauer but I did buy factory units as it was the easiest way to purchase them.

Did you repaint the Molykote surface under the running seal when you rebuilt yours?

....and yes the outer wheel bearings are the same front and rear.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
NM_Mogman

Post by NM_Mogman »

Profpinz,

I just got the new parts and have not yet started on replacing them. I am having other issues with the motor that I need to deal with before I can drive it down to my friends shop to repair the seal. Can you give me a little more info on the Molykote surface painting, please? This will be the first time I have had to open a portal so any help is greatly appreciated!

Take care,

Phil
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

If you don't have the parts manual, it is in the file section of the yahoo Turbo D group.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/pinzgauer_td/info

You'll just need to request to join and you can download the pdf's in manageable chucks.
iirc, was for the "K"s, but all the mechanical are the same, and most of the body
There are other part manuals floating around, but has old pn's
Generic parts are listed in the last column.

Just as an funny bit of "full circle", I got that SDP manual from ATL back in 2002, and 12 years later I got one of their trucks. :D
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)