Replacement speedo or fix broken one??

Pretty much anything 716 or 718 technical that is not driveline or engine related.
Profpinz
Australia

Re: Replacement speedo or fix broken one??

Post by Profpinz »

There is a VDO repair place just up the road from me here in Melbourne, so if your down this way (or you want to send it to me) it can probably be repaired!
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

OK, I took it apart and played a bit. I mean all apart. Getting the bezel off is really a chore, not diff to put it back on though...tap, tap, tap to curl the edge back.
It really helps if one has training as a watch repair person or mechanical engineering experience. There are lots of little parts. I think the issue is the first little gear
that is held in by the ball bearing, it's nylon and has a chip in it. That may be why the numbers don't rotate. Very simple mechanism really, just the case is difficult to
open. Did not seem to be able to get the facets or scratches from the lens. Just cleaned it and put it back on. A little tape on the lens and a new paint job on the
bezel and tomorrow it goes back in.
New ones from SAV are $200+ so I don't think that is the way I am going. Had a VDO electronic one, but it died after 2000 miles. It is just sitting on the shelf gathering dust.
As I recall it was not cheap and did not last. Very disappointing.

Thanks for the support.

Oh yeah, thanks Peter. Doubt I'll be going your way any time soon, though. Thanks for the offer. I have some friends from Canada that always bring some of their great beer
bet the stuff down your way is equally good.

Morris
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Update:

I took the speedo apart, apparently too far apart. Now it really does not work...at all.

Anyone have a mechanical one (OEM) that they are willing to part with for not a lot of cash? Milage is unimportant as I really don't know how far this one has gone.

Morris
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Morris,
You're not going to have much luck here..... the TDs use a different speedo.... of course you could wrap one with masking tape to take up the slack to keep it from dropping through. :lol:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

But, I may still have a speedo from either my old 710 or 712..... or both .... just need to do a scavenger hunt through the garage... or shop.. or shipping container or ..... :roll:

krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Thanks David,

I think I screwed up here and put this under the wrong title. I was not paying attention to location...only problem...I have a 710.
So your post is on target and mine is not. Very sorry for the miscommunication. Sometimes us old guys have issues.

If you have a speedo that might help, I would much appreciate it.

Morris

edit: I just looked through the search and typed in speedo. This thread came up and I did not notice that it was a TD location. I just followed along.
Last edited by krick3tt on Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Hey M,
This started as a TD thread... unless you have intimate contact with each you don't know what is the same and what is different.... for example, the Haf's speedo is bigger than the 710/12's which is bigger than the TD's ( which could be different with some TDs, as there are more varients within their production).... not quite as easy as assuming on a 710/12, as over 1/3 of the total production were built to Swiss specs, and that number may be over 75% of the gas Pinzes that made it to North America were Swiss.

I'll look through the afore mention places.... I don't think the speedo is buried too deep. :roll: