Replacement speedo or fix broken one??

Pretty much anything 716 or 718 technical that is not driveline or engine related.
hardro33

Replacement speedo or fix broken one??

Post by hardro33 »

Our speedometer has just packed up after a very long dusty corrugated track. started with needle bouncing around, then a click click click that varied with speed ( i thought cable broke) then needle jumped sporadically and the miles on the clock werent rotating??
checked cable and i have drive through to speedo.
removed speedo and manualy turning the drive the needle moves but not how it should, if you half turn the drive, the needle turns half a turn and quite often sticks there. a gentle tap and it slowly returns to zero. i hace attached a electric screwdriver to allow a very slow constant speed. but the needle seems to have a mind of its own and sometimes comes right round past 90 mph!!. there is no noise of broken teeth in the gears that i can detect and was hoping it was just dust in there. I have blown compressed air through with a little improvement but not sure if dust is cause. Can they be repaired ?? I would put a new one on but as we plan to sell her very shortly Iwould think it would deter potential buyers.
Any thoughts out there on best way forward?
Thanks in advance
Ty[/u]
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

seems to be a notorious problem with the TD's, especially for some reason the white faced speedos.

I presume someone could fix them, not sure who though, but is a vdo unit.

I think I have a part number for a black one around here somewhere
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
hardro33

Post by hardro33 »

A part number would be great. Its the black face one i have. i am tempted to open it upand have a look as im sure its a dust problem but worry that it doesnt look good if the speedo looks like its tampered with when selling.
Thanks Mike
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

I'll have a look when I get home as I bought one of ebay about a year ago (for just in case)
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

VDO P/N 120.020/142/026
NSN 6680999059646 (sometimes useful as may list alternates)
STEC 716.2.86.001.0

Speedometer 10 to 90 mph

The price in the 2002 spare parts price list was 222.73 euro

which part of Aus you got to so far?
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

info on pulling a vdo apart

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticle ... repair.htm

apparently can get replacement gears for inside
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
hardro33

Post by hardro33 »

Massive thanks for both part number and the speedo info. We are currently in Darwin in the far north ( very hot and humid). hope to be on the road again in april with funds topped up. would like to do Cape York........just got to talk wife into it!
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

No worries as your on a trek I thought get you as much help as possible.

My folks live in Kalgoorlie and I have done the gunbarrel highway from ayers rock to Wiluna which is an adventure. Nevr got up to cape york.

Jenolan caves are awesome. I am hoping to have my pinz down there next January. How the locals looking at the Pinz?
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

If you struggle with the repair yourself. Orange Empire Instrument out of Los Angles CA can do the work. Only the finest workmanship around.
I can get you the contact info if you need it. I have a rebuilt speedo in the garage that should have their phone number on the box.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Tyron,
I did an VDO electric speedo conversion on my 716. I've done 4 conversions on SDP trucks ( Pinz 710, 712 , 716 and Haf 700) and the only one I have had problems with has been the Haf. In Oz, a Hall sensor in metric shouldn't be a problem, and VDO electronic speedo , a piece of cake too... The TDs use a smaller diameter speedo than the 710/12. Installation and programming is simple, plus you can reprogram for different tire (tyre :wink: ) sizes.
Dave
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
hardro33

Post by hardro33 »

thanks for all the help. I have found a place in victoria that can repair ( but waiting for quote) will look into electronic conversion, depends on cost. Im a bit gutted as im worried a new speedo might put off buyers??
Oh and everyone loves my Pinz here, a few who know the score call them "Zingers". I hadnt heard that before! Lots of interest and encouragement for what we are doing.
Thanks all again
Ty
If you get out here in your pinz it would be great to meet up, mike. keep in touch.
fesm_ndt

Post by fesm_ndt »

Let us know the price on the repair as mine is bouncing and I wanted to stick with the original one also.

I been hoping it was a drive issue but they are prone to breaking the little plastic gears.

I'm from Aussie but been living overseas for the past 14 years
Regards

Mike
(Project Gimpy 2)
hardro33

Re: Replacement speedo or fix broken one??

Post by hardro33 »

At last my speedo has been repaired at howards instruments in Victoria at a price of $135 including GST and shipping to darwin. Very pleased with the result.
Thanks for all the input. :lol:
Ty
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

My speedo went out on the return from NWMF. The needle shows speed but the numbers do not change.

Mostly I use the GPS for speed as I have larger than stock tires. The stock speedo is at least 10% off.

Is this a remove and replace or is it a take apart and play with it? I am fairly sure a new one is spendy but a used
one might give me the same issues.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

krick3tt wrote:My speedo went out on the return from NWMF. ~ ~ Is this a remove and replace or is it a take apart and play with it? .
Take it apart and play with it. I’ve fixed a couple that had the odometer quite functioning, not hard to fix. Takes a little effort removing the bezel without damaging it and the lens can be a pain to get unstuck. All that said I now have spare mechanical speedometers as I have installed a VDO electronic speedometer. So cool having it read out in mph, no more little pieces of tape or doing km to mph conversions on the fly.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.