Ignition switch wiring diagram

Pretty much anything 716 or 718 technical that is not driveline or engine related.
NM_Mogman

Ignition switch wiring diagram

Post by NM_Mogman »

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone would happen to have the wiring diagram for the ignition switch on a diesel Pinz? My trigger wire, the one that engages the starter, is having constant power for some reason. Everything was fine yesterday when I was driving, then I stopped for a while to visit a friend, and when I started it up again, all seemed right for a while. After a block, the noise changed, my wife said there was smoke coming from the engine cover and I immediately shut it off. Pulled the cover and saw smoke, but no obvious source so I tried to start it again and nothing. Got it pushed off the road and checked the starter and it was smoking hot, moved the wires and sparks everywhere! Jumped up and disconnected the batteries, found a bare wire and taped it up as a quick fix but nothing. While waiting for a friend, I did hook the batteries back up and, when he showed up (and presumably the starter cooled off) the starter tried to engage again, with the "key" in the off position! So, I killed the batteries and we flat-towed it home behind a Mog.

As of now, the wire is fixed but still hot. So....does anyone have the wiring schematic for the ignition switch, so I can tell exactly what each wire does?

Please feel free to call/text a photo of it, or just email it to me at Phillip.Tupelu@gmail.com

Thanks,
Phil
David Dunn
United States of America

Re: Ignition switch wiring diagram

Post by David Dunn »

Sent you a pdf of the ignition circuit from a UK Pinz. It "should" be the same...or close. :roll: :twisted:

pic of it here.
Attachments
Pinz ignition.jpg
Pinz ignition.jpg (200.74 KiB) Viewed 1660 times
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
NM_Mogman

Post by NM_Mogman »

Thank you David! That is what I need. For some reason, my manuals do not have this in it and we were having a hard time figuring out what each wire on the round ignition was for! As it turns out, I had to order my SECOND starter yesterday, and a new starter relay (which I found locally!). My intent is to get rid of that keyless starter knob and set my ignition up on a toggle/button starter system, with a battery cut-out switch as mine did not come with one.

Thanks again,
Phil
NM_Mogman

Post by NM_Mogman »

I suppose I should have asked the obvious question to begin with...has anyone set their 716/718 up with a switch/button starter, like the 710/712's? If so, would you be willing to share your process, this way I don't have to keep experimenting? If not, and I can get it figured out, I will post the results for anyone else looking to change their ignition setup.

Thanks,
Phil