Sputter, Bang, Bang, Stop...

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Charles

Sputter, Bang, Bang, Stop...

Post by Charles »

Hi guys,
Here's a stumper for you (haven't taken a hard look at it myself yet)...

So, driving down the highway at a reasonable speed 50mph, feel a little "surging", well really the opposite of surging, more like the feeling of my float running dry or bad f-pump. No big deal, I'm only about 1 mile away from my destination, and I'll get there and check it out.

All of a sudden, BANG....BANG! Couplea big backfires, the cylinder head temp on my #3cylinder drops from about 300F to like 200F (don't know if I believe it, but there it is). The oil light came on (there's plenty of oil in there, and I start to lose engine power. Drove for like 10 seconds more and the #3 temp started coming back to normal.

Coast (crawl) into my destination. Let er' cool down, checked the oil (it was OK), doesn't feel overly hot or cold. Now I've tried to restart it and the starter turns fine (not electrical), it'll "catch" for one sputter, but then generally sounds like its not getting fuel or maybe is flooded.

So, anybody care to venture a guess on this one? Frozen/clogged air filter again? Sucked some oil into the cylinders (that's why it got so cool)?

Gonna go back out there and check on it later, but I thought I'd let the experts throw me a Christmas Bone.
Best Regards,
Charles
('73 710K)
PS: Keep your stick on the ice
Kiwibru

Post by Kiwibru »

I love a good mystery...
I guess spark plug fouling or failure...
:twisted:
1975 710M
rla001

Post by rla001 »

After sleeping on it over night It sounds like to me you lost spark. That would explain the loss of power, drop in temp and if it was still pumping gas it would explode in the hot muffler giving you the bang bang.

Are you still running the mil ignition wires? I would have them vibrate loose on lon trips when I was still using them as well as having the mil spark plugs back out too.

Other wise fouled plugs, wet distributer wire popped off all the normal ingnition issues.

Rich A.
Charles

Post by Charles »

Hey Guys,
Both right...
1) Loose plug
3) Fuel pump not putting out enough. Good thing I had a rebuild handy...

Any of you guys have trouble with your fuel pumps? This is the second time in 2 years that I've had to replace (I have 2 units that I cylce through)...

Seeya and Happy New Year.
Best Regards,
Charles
('73 710K)
PS: Keep your stick on the ice