Tubeless steel rim

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

EuroPinz

Tubeless steel rim

Post by EuroPinz »

Hi Guys,

I want to put some tubeless steel rims on my Pinzgauer 712. I am fed up of them sometimes spinning off the tubes on low pressure while driving thru the sand. However, here in Europe DMV does not allow a lot of modifications, hence it needs to be steel rims and NOT ALLOY. In Germany it is strictly forbidden whereas in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg they will "tolerate" it. Therefor I have several questions since I need to buy 6 wheel adaptors:
(1) what 16 inch tubeless steel rim with 285x75R16 tires will fit a Pinzgauer knowing that nearly no american pickup trucks are sold in Europe. So in order to save on shipping charges, I will have to look at Toyota 4x4 or Nissan 4x4, ... etc steel rims that will take that size tires and that I can hopefully order here in Europe. Otherwise I might have to go all the way and order them in the USA as well - and I will need 7 of them (spare tire included).
(2) what wheel adaptor will I need in order to fit the rims that you guys would suggest to me?
(3) which company will you recommend for the wheel adaptors? STOCKTON ?? ... and maybe same company for the rims???
(4) since I am not used with standard measures but only metric measures, what is the exact bolt pattern on a Pinzgauer in inches?

Thank you in advance for all your help, efforts and information.

Best Regards

Jack
PinzEOD

Post by PinzEOD »

Why not use the stock rims? I have been running that size tire on mine for 3 1/2 years with no problems, no leaks.
Mike Newton 1973 712M (sold)
I do not like this word "bomb." It is not a bomb. It is a device that is exploding. Jacques le Blanc
EuroPinz

Post by EuroPinz »

Hi Mike,

Good question. Well, we are kind of lucky here as the North African Continent ist not too far from us. 1 day drive + 1 night on the Ferry and here we are allready in Lybia, Tunesia, Algeria or Marrocco. So once a year a group of us goes over there for some sightseeing and fun in the desert. This of course involves driving on sandy roads and/or have some fun in the dunes. In order for us to be able to get a good traction we lower the tire pressure really low which unfortunately, occasionaly can make the tire spin on the rim and rip the tube apart. Therefor we'd like to switch over to tubeless rims.

Best Regards,

Jacques Miller
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Hi Jack,

MJ Lee Engineering in GB make all types of rims, they make the Mack 5 rims and have made them for the 712/710 Pinzgauers they also make composite steel wheels (bolted together in 3 or more parts) although I have not seen them on any Pinzgauers they do make one offs and I have seen some very wide 16"wheels made up for a LR101FC.

The only problem is that there web site is not running at the moment and I have heard that Devon 4x4 is acting as an agent.

If you like I can phone about tomorrow and try and find out for you? :?:
Anthony
GB
EuroPinz

Post by EuroPinz »

Hi Anthony,

Nice to hear from you again. I was glad to see that your wife made it thru the snow in good shape - thanks to the great tires she had on her car. But we are not speaking of snow, quite the opposite, SAND :lol: :lol: :lol:
As you might know, the Pinzgauer rims cost here about 200 € or roughly $ 260 a piece. So for that price I might just as well put a newer design or at least tubeless rims on the Pinzgauer. Technical inspection will allow only up to 265x75R16 tires on the original Pinzgauer rims so I need to purchase other ones and they can only be in steel. I went back and looked up the URL that you had posted but it didn't work like you mention. I'd hate to see you have expenses in phone calls - I could call as well. I just need to make sure that they fit the original Pinzgauer lug pattern (=custom steel rims) or get an adaptor which might me allow to occasionally change rims and hence the look :lol: :lol: :lol:

Greetings to you Anthony,

Jack
EuroPinz

Post by EuroPinz »

You know Anthony, us european kids like to play in our huge sandbox with their toys :lol: :lol: :lol: but the tires don't stay too well on the rims :cry: :cry: :cry:

Jack
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Jack,

It is no problem at all about the calls as the telephone/Internet provider gives me free calls almost any where in GB free up to 70 minutes at a time unless it is a mobile or some of those special sort of numbers and according to my tariff the same applies to many European numbers as well though I did not ask for the latter so maybe there has been is a mistake at an administration level. :lol:

Wheels come up a lot even in Europe and I usually direct them to the above company so I would like to know myself in order to direct every one to the appropriate place. Perhaps they went to the receiver which would be a shame or just now prefer to deal through a trader rather than direct.

It may well be that you decide to run other wheels with an adapter which might also give an additional track width. Have you thought of steel wheels from an other car company and having the centres re-engineered for the required PCD etc? You may then be able to get a lot of wheels quite cheaply from a car breaker, I would not have thought the engineering would be that expensive especially if you could involve others in the project.

I prefer steel wheels for off road use and in a north African country the locals could easily repair or weld them if need be. They can be nocked back into shape and are probably tougher in any case. The other advantage though possibly of negligable value but could be calculated is that the extra weight low down all helps in keeping the C of G lower.
Anthony
GB
Lisaspinz

Post by Lisaspinz »

Try - http://www.trudesignwheel.net/contact_info.html True Design Wheel.

I think that they can make most anything you want in a steel wheel as long as it does not involve making a large offset wheel (like when attempting to replace a Mercedes G500 alloy with steel wheels - ask me how I know!)

This reply is Amerocentric I know - but it is a place to start.

Mike and Lisa
712 M
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

In order for us to be able to get a good traction we lower the tire pressure really low which unfortunately, occasionaly can make the tire spin on the rim and rip the tube apart. Therefor we'd like to switch over to tubeless rims
Why not just run a bead-lock in the standard rim (I do and it works a treat!)
For sand and more severe 4WDriving I "air down" to 8 PSI in the rear (I have even had them down to 4) and the tyres still don't rotate on the rims.

BTW...I "believe" (I've been meaning to check it for a long time, but it is rather a low priority) that the new German made, Ford Transit wheels fit.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
EuroPinz

Post by EuroPinz »

Thank you to ALL of you that have so far helped and provided some info.

(1) @ Lisaspinz => Thank you - my first goal would be to be able to purchase readily available steel rims on the normal market, like SUV rims or PU truck rims, ....etc. This might allow me a greater selection in steel rims, beauty counts also in the look of a Pinz - of course whenever possible. :wink:
(2) @ Anthony => Thank you - as you are aware, department of transportation has different rules and regulations depending of the country you're living. Germany for example does not allow any modifications except for what the manufacturer claims => therefor no specialty steel rim manufacturers and/or wheel adaptor. In Luxembourg I am allowed a few slight changes as long as I don't deviate too much. Mandatory it needs to be steel rims and preferably rims from a manufacturer that has rims allready on registered cars in Luxembourg. Custom made steel rim will be more difficult to have them accept them. Rims that needs to be bolted together and alloy rims are definetively a NO NO!
Yes @ Anthony you're absolutely right as in Africa as long as they can weld and/or hammer on a rim, they can fix it for you. Which of course is an advantage.
(3) @ Profpinz => Thank you - as usual you're a dependable person to get some nice and interesting information. Welding a bead inside the rim is a NO NO in Luxembourg. We'd love to have 285x75R16 tires mounted on the rims in order to have a larger footprint on the sand - but those are not allowed on the stock rim of the Pinzgauer. Max allowed is 265x75R16. Therefor we will need another steel rim. As for the Ford Transit simce it is not a priority for you, I will check it out for you and tell you the results. After all, it is in my interest :wink:
(4) To ALL of you => Thank you for your help. But a lot of you are using wheel adaptors and running stock rims of another vehicle - THAT is the information that I am seeking and which I can get thru our department of Transportation. So for all of you that are using such a setup I would greatly appreciate some input.
FINALLY, enough of my rambling. I'll be gone for 10 days in an area where people have never heard of computer, they communicate with each other by yelling from 1 mountain top to another :lol: :lol: :lol:

In the mean time, thanks for all your help, ideas and suggestion

Best Regards

Jack
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

OK Jack I hope that you enjoy your yodelling :lol: for the next ten days and that a solution to your problem comes soon. :)
Anthony
GB
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Jack,

I have just talked to MJ Lee on the telephone and they do indeed make a one piece steel rim for the Pinzgauer, it is there Mach 5 Wheel. These wheels are made to British Stand Institution which is recognised in GB. They do not have the German TUV but perhaps you could convince your authorities of the BSI standard.

They no longer sell direct to the public preferring to concentrate on manufacture, they also make other 4x4 bits. There Web site is down at the moment but will be up again some time in the future. The very pleasant lady that I spoke to has said that they will not normally answer queries on the phone unless she is there due to pressure of work but will reply to e-mails if there are particular queries. mjloffroad@aol.com

All sales of both the Mach 5 steel wheel and the other wheels that they make such as the plit rim can be bought exclusively from Devon 4x4 who should also be able to answer most queries. There may be a waiting period between order and sale due to the fact that Pinzgauer rims are a special order. I have just spoken to Devon 4x4 and they think that they will supply the Wheels at £124 + Vat

You will have to do your own currency conversion Vat in UK is 17.5% which luckily for the rest of the World outside of the Europe you do not have to pay so even cheaper.

http://www.devon4x4.com/

The Mach 5 steel wheels can be seen on this Devon 4x4 web site

http://www.devon4x4.com/shop.php?mode=b ... &subcat=25

Contact for Devon 4x4

Tel : +44 (0) 1769 550900

Fax : +44 (0) 1769 550800

Email : info@devon4x4.com

Devon 4x4 Centre Ltd
Southlea Service Station
Bish Mill
South Molton
Devon
EX36 3QU

GPS : SS 75686 25586
N 51° 00'56.4
W 003° 46'20.7
Anthony
GB
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

G'Day Jack,

There is no need to weld the standard Pinzgauer rim if you fit pneumatic tyre locks.
The only mod you have to make is drill an additional hole for the extra valve.
They are a Swedish design, but are sold in Australia and some other countries as "Secondairs"
http://www.secondair.com/
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
aparg

Post by aparg »

Mercedes wheels fit on turbodiesels. I just converted to 7J16 rims available at sdp. They also have a homologation in conjuction with 285/75R16. The rims come from suedrad. I could give you the number if u wish so u could check.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Profpinz,

I think Jack wishes to have wider tyres 285 and the rules in some EU countries are so strict that only wheels manufactured for that size is acceptable to the authorities. Though the bead lock that you mention is sold over here and may be a useful addition.
Profpinz wrote:G'Day Jack,

There is no need to weld the standard Pinzgauer rim if you fit pneumatic tyre locks.
The only mod you have to make is drill an additional hole for the extra valve.
They are a Swedish design, but are sold in Australia and some other countries as "Secondairs"
http://www.secondair.com/
Anthony
GB