Seat Quest Ended

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Bruce Berger

Seat Quest Ended

Post by Bruce Berger »

After searching for new front seats ever since I got my Pinzgauer I finally found some that seem to be a perfect fit. I took a chance and ordered a set of Beard seats for a Yamaha Rhino off of eBay. My research showed that they should fit and they do, even on the passenger side. Now I just need to mount them to the seat frames I picked up awhile ago from Andre.

I'll post a report once I get them installed and try them out for awhile.

Bruce Berger
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
mit Beck-LaGuardia Elektronischer Einspritzung
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

Those look nice, looking forward to the report. By the way how tall are you? Asking because I'm 6'6" and need extra head room, can't go higher than the original seat pad, would even like to gain an inch or two.

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
NC_Mog

Post by NC_Mog »

I like those. How much were you able to get them for? I've wanted high back seats for some time.
Kimball
1979 712M
Bruce Berger

Post by Bruce Berger »

I picked up the seats from Off Road Engineering. They have an eBay web store. I paid the "Buy It Now" price of $580 for the pair. That may seem high but other sites on the Internet list the seats with the optional head rests for $500 each and they were not far away so the shipping was reasonable. They had at least one more pair with headrests when I ordered mine.

BTW the Beard web site (www.redart.com) does not show the Rhino seats with head rests but they are available as an option.

I'm just under 6' tall. With the seat sitting on the seat frame it felt slightly lower than the stock drivers seat. I have the later "improved" cushion on the driver's seat which is thicker than the original cushion on the passenger side. I think it may be possible to mount the Rhino seats on bars tacked under the frame tubing which would lower them about a 1/2". It may also be possible to mount them directly to the metal panel on the driver's seat base. To get a proper fit it will be necessary to cut off the bracket where the seat back hinges.

One negative point is that the seat cushion on the Rhino seats is about an inch shorter than the stock seat which may feel too short to some people.
Bruce Berger
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Bruce,

Thanks for the tip on these seats. I've been looking for a new set also and hadn't even thought about these. I ordered a set from Bryan today and now just need to get a set of seat frames from Andre to modify.

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Bruce Berger

Post by Bruce Berger »

Paul,

Do you have Andre's contact information (you out there Andre?)?

I haven't had time to modify the seat frames yet but it looks like for the passenger seat you could cut off the mounts for the original seat back and weld a couple of pieces of flat stock across the tubes to mount that seat. It would be possible to leave the back of the seat frame in place but it would be harder to reach around behind the seat to remove it.

I think the mount for the drivers seat could be a couple of pieces of flat stock welded directly to the top of the seat pan where it folds over the guide rails. The 4 welds that hold the tubing framework would then be cut eliminating the tube frame all together. Access holes would have to be drilled in the bottom of the seat pan to get at the seat attachment bolts. That should lower the drivers seat about 3/4".

I'll post some pictures when I get the seat frame modifications done but it may be awhile.
Bruce Berger
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
Andre
United States of America

seat frame conection

Post by Andre »

I can be reached at:

garageape2000@yahoo.com

or

(951) 765-7224

I have dvr,psgr seats with or without the cusions. just let me know. I also have lots of extra parts that will be listed once im done doing my body swap.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com