Don't use rubber gaskets!!

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Twin Pinzies

Don't use rubber gaskets!!

Post by Twin Pinzies »

I decided to try the "upgraded" rubber gaskets on my valve covers and oil pan. DON'T DO IT!!! The OEM paper gaskets will not shift, squish out, or rot like the rubber ones will. My "upgrade" lasted about a month before all the rubber gaskets started failing left and right!
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Did you use Scotts. or a cheaper one?
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

I got mine from SAV but I don't think that they are trying to sell substandard rubber. I think that they are just a bad idea from the get go.
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

We also gave up on the rubber gaskets. They just did not seem to stay seated like the original ones. Too bad though it sure seemed like it should have worked. Maybe if there were a groove to keep them in place or tabs, something along those lines. All of the ones used here whether a tacky gasket sealer or silicone was used all failed to stay in place.
Mike
STPPINZ

Post by STPPINZ »

X3
Wimps Need Not Apply
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

You have to make sure the mating surfaces are flat for good results when using any rubber gaskets. I have found numerous warped valve covers, a good belt sander will help repair the surface. One more tip, NEVER use silicone sealant on rubber. Brush tack or Super glue on ONE SURFACE ONLY. If you try to use sealer on both sides of a gasket it may split when tightened(hydraulic pressure) :shock:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

This is probly going to be a dumb question, was the rubber gasket made as a cheaper source or an upgrade?
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

I ruined my first rubber pan gasket by overtightening. I bought another one, and was very careful to tighten in sequence while watching the gasket. Once it STARTED to squish from compression I stopped tightening and torqued all of the nuts the same with an inch-pound wrench. I found the rubber takes much less torque than the cork gasket. I drove a few miles and re-torqued slightly and everything is OK. I used nothing on any surface, such as sealer or tack. Personally I would rather use cork gaskets for low compression applications such as the pan gasket or valve covers.
MASSIVE PINZ

Post by MASSIVE PINZ »

Some engine oils are not compliant with certain forms of rubber... I used the SAV units on my Pinz and it doesn't leak a drop, but I did coat them with a bit of grease on both sides at the time of install..

Over torquing is a common mistake amde.. A little loose is much better than too tight, especially when the engine expands and contracts a few times.
Jake Raby
Owner, Raby's Aircooled Technology
www.aircooledtechnology.com
hrafn

Post by hrafn »

My rubber valve cover gaskets (purchased from Scott) are still intact after a
year. I glued the rubber to the valve cover with Indian Head Gasket
Shellac. I had plenty of trouble keeping the OEM paper gaskets in place,
even if they were glued.
Jay
W3PNZ
710K Kommandowagen
Thomas-E

Rubber Gaskets

Post by Thomas-E »

I bought Scotts gaskets and have had the rocker covers on and off a couple of times to adjust the valves over the last year and a half.....
NO LEAKS!

Thomas E.
712M (soon to be 712C amper)
Sonora, CA
AZ_Dave

Post by AZ_Dave »

used to have a customer with a mobile gasket cutting service. They had a computer full of specs and several different materials and a cutter in the back of a van. You could also give them your own specs and get custom-cut gaskets for just about any application (industrial/old cars/machinery). Anyone hear about such a thing. I hear you all talking about preferring cork and having trouble with OEM, etc. Wonder if finding such a place and getting a bunch cut from the best material/splitting costs between pinz owners would be worth while or not. Anyone have any experience with such a company or know about costs. Are good gaskets that hard to come by? Is this a good idea or should i stop talking?
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Dave, from what I can see both gaskets are can be baught from the pinz suppliers now. Looks like its just a matter of personal pref. I'll have to ask why my mechanic goes with the cork and not the rubber. I bet its just a personal pref tho
PinzEOD

Post by PinzEOD »

hrafn wrote:My rubber valve cover gaskets (purchased from Scott) are still intact after a year. I glued the rubber to the valve cover with Indian Head Gasket Shellac. I had plenty of trouble keeping the OEM paper gaskets in place, even if they were glued.
Ditto
Mike Newton 1973 712M (sold)
I do not like this word "bomb." It is not a bomb. It is a device that is exploding. Jacques le Blanc
STPPINZ

Post by STPPINZ »

My valve cover gasket's have been good, but the oil pan gasket is a different story...leaky sucka
Wimps Need Not Apply