Tubeless steel rim

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

EuroPinz

Post by EuroPinz »

@ Anthony <= you're right. Department of transportation in Luxembourg will not allow a tire the size of 285x75R16 on the normal Pinzgauer stock rims. Maximum allowed is 265x75R16. But that beadlock looks quite interesting. Never heard of such a thing. I'll post it for the guys to look at it.

@ Profpinz <= again, you just shake your sleeve and here comes out a great information. I'll pass it on to our desert rats :lol: :lol: Thank you Peter

@aparg <= any information you can provide and I can gather will greatly profit the Pinzgauer community over here. However I think that the lugpattern is different on the turbodiesel as opposed to the gasoline version.

Best Regards to all 3 of you

Jack
grayroad

rims

Post by grayroad »

Again, this may not solve your problem, but Staun markets internal beadlocks in the states. I have them on my 712M. You can run the tires flat. Some pics of my rims and my 712 are on www.staunproducts.com under Reviews. Go to customer testimonials, the last one, mistakenly Cory Gary.

Cory Gray
EvanH

Post by EvanH »

Cory,

Would you happen to know the Staun part number for the size that fits the Pinz?

Thanks!

-Evan
Twebba

Post by Twebba »

A buddy of mine with a Jeep Rubicon has those Staun beadlocks & swears by them. He often runs his tires at 5psi and has never lost a bead since getting them.
He's got the older green variety. I guess they've come out with a new orange version that's easier to install.

I'm hoping to get a set this summer, but since they cost almost as much as new tires, I suspect I'll be having to break open my piggy bank to make that happen...
~ TW ~
'73 710K
grayroad

Staun beadlocks

Post by grayroad »

Evan

Sorry. If I ever had that info, It's long gone. They are sold by rim size so for my stock rims I got the 16 x 6.5. They are pricey but not compared to other beadlocks and you don't have to knock off beads too many times before they seem worth the price. I don't know if they are any easier to install than they were before. Doing 7 wheels just makes it a big job. There was a learning curve. The first one took 2 hours and the last one 20 minutes. One we never could get to work and I had to e-mail the US rep for some tips before we could lick it.

Cory
EuroPinz

Post by EuroPinz »

Hello guys,

Just tried out some tubeless steel rims on my Pinzgauer 712. I have found, just like Peter from Australia (Profpinz) said (tahnk you very much) a rim from a Ford Transit FT300, production year 2000 until 2004 that fits the Pinzgauer perfectly, without needing any adaptor plate.

Here are the numners written on the rim:
(1) FORD logo
(2) 6 1/2J x 16 x 60
(3) 2160810
(4) 086B1 2
(5) YC15-DE
(6) 83

An some pictures. Unfortunatly I was not able to put myself right in front of the rim to take a nicely centered picture of the rim.

This rim will bring the tire about 15 mm more towards the outside.

Best regards,

Jacques
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Now,how can we get them on this side of the pond?
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
krick3tt

tubeless rims

Post by krick3tt »

Do the bead locks mess up the tire balance?
I have removed the weights from the rim and use balancing beads, really seems to do well at highway speed (?) when I am ripping along at 50.
I think once I have the fan balanced it will really perform better, but, how long is the turn around time for balancing a fan?

Cheers,
Morris
Protoman333

question

Post by Protoman333 »

i hope this hasnt been covered, but i didnt see it...and i hope this isnt a stupid question.

cant the stock wheels be used without tubes? or is it that they can be ran without tubes, just not at very low pressures? i havent lost a bead, but then again, i dont really go lower than 18-20 psig...

and krick311 (Morris), you say youve been running the balancing beads? have you been pleased with the tire wear, specifically the fronts? are these better, in your opinion, than using the balancing adapter plate and normal lead weights? any problem with condensation clumping them together?

im currently running trxus (cant remember..maybe 255 75's?) without tubes, wanting to switch to the 34 ltb's. i was thinking about using the balancing beads. thoughts/opinions?
Chris
'73 710m
krick3tt

tire balancing

Post by krick3tt »

P-333
I am using the wheels w/o tubes. Never had them in there. Bought it that way. Lead weights are close in to the center of the tire and the bigger the tire the less influence they have, besides they come off wheeling and then they are useless lying on the trail.
The link to the product...http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.html
I have found them very good at highway speeds, makes no difference off road as they do not 'form' to their use untill you are going at least 25 mph.
No they do not clump, they are ceramic and even if you manage to get water in the wheels it will not matter. I have had them in for about 5000 miles and really haven't noticed wear. I am running 33'' tires on stock rims.
I did debead at Calico last year when I slid sideways on a rock but had great help from a team of changers get me going again so I did not hold up the group.
Was a great lesson in driving and pilot error syndrom. Can't learn without mistakes now and then.
I had the doors off and the passanger got a real 'treat' when the large rock almost jumped in at him as we slid over. ...good times.

Cheers,
Protoman333

Post by Protoman333 »

ahhh, thanks for the link. the only one i found in the board search prior to that didnt work anymore.

i had wondered how successful these had been used so far and had forgot they were ceramic. i have had some crazy wear on the fronts, but the backs wear awesome. maybe 10k-12k on the fronts and (believe it or not) est 40k on the backs. they will never make it that far as i occasionally wheel over sharp rock and will inevetibly slice them beyond use (which is where im at, @ around 30k miles).

like i said, going to ss 34 ltb's next and just thought id give the beads a shot...

ive always been amazed that i havent lost a bead on something like you described, maybe im not trying hard enough!!! got any idea what pressure you were running at the time? just curious...

anyway, thanks again for the reply. its been a while since ive posted because my login wouldnt work for quite some time...dont know what changed and dont know what made me try again, but its nice to be back.

rubber down...
Chris
'73 710m
EuroPinz

Post by EuroPinz »

@ Wehrman,
Now,how can we get them on this side of the pond?
Well, it is a Ford product - and a lot of Ford vehicles use 16 inch tires.

(1) Maybe you can find the equivalent in the USA?
That is why I wrote all the numbers from the tubeless rim.
Here are the numners written on the rim:
(A) FORD logo
(B) 6 1/2J x 16 x 60
(C) 2160810
(D) 086B1 2
(E) YC15-DE
(F) 83
(2) Or, organize a group order and have them shipped over to the USA on pallets. FORD is always shipping items (spare parts) back and forth with Europe. Here in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg they cost brand new: 98.97 euros/piece (VAT 15 % included)

Best Regards

Jacques
PinzEOD

Post by PinzEOD »

I just got off the phone with the Ford parts place we use at work. Their guy was able to pull up a matchng engineering number, but nothing he could order from. Just one dealer attempt, maybe someone else wil have better luck.
Mike Newton 1973 712M (sold)
I do not like this word "bomb." It is not a bomb. It is a device that is exploding. Jacques le Blanc
EvanH

Post by EvanH »

Bolt pattern aside, are these rims sturdy enough for the Pinzgauer lifestyle? Is the lug nut "seat" correct for the Pinz lug nuts?

-Evan
EuroPinz

Post by EuroPinz »

Is the lug nut "seat" correct for the Pinz lug nuts
We recommend to use the original Ford lug nuts in order to have them seated correctly.
Bolt pattern aside, are these rims sturdy enough for the Pinzgauer lifestyle?
You bet they are. These rims are strong and sturdy. Don't forget they're used on Ford Transporter with a total GW of 3.5 Tons. And once you have lifted just one of these rims you'll notice immediately that they can easily compare to the original Pinzgauer rims as far as sturdiness comes.

We are having one Pinzgauer 712 retrofitted to these rims and pass technical inspection in Germany. Report and pictures will follow. Stand by for more info.
I just got off the phone with the Ford parts place we use at work. Their guy was able to pull up a matchng engineering number, but nothing he could order from.
I am astonished that there is not the equivalent to be found as I would suspect that FORD will use the same brake drums on more then one vehicle in order to place large orders of rims. However, if there is enough interest for these rims I could maybe help from this side. I just order them at a Ford dealership here and have them shipped on pallets. Depending where they are produce they could maybe be shipped straight from the factory.

Best Regards,

Jacques