Towing capacity?

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

EuroPinz

Post by EuroPinz »

Hello Anthony,

Does this Pintle hook have the exact same bolt pattern as the original swiss army pintle hook? If that were the case, I'd love to purchase one so I that I will have both option of towing possibilities.

Thanks and Regards
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

The fixing bolts are 12mm at 85 x 44.5 mm centres.

The brand new price is quite expensive £207 + Vat @ 17.5% + postage for European buyers and no vat for our US cousins what most off roaders do in GB is to purchase them from EX Military dealers, they used to be a few years ago about £15 but I guess that they would be a little more now perhaps £25 -£30. If you do not have suitable EX military supplier in Luxemburg I could find one here in GB for you.

I can say that they are absolutely brilliant the load has no chance of becoming detached even in the most arduous of off road towing. Most military trailers here have a rotating eye ring so here one would keep the pintle locked but some trailers have a fixed eye ring so the pintle would be unlocked to allow it to rotate.

In my LR101FC I have both been towed and have towed other vehicles, using a solid pole with rings welded at each end, this includes traversing difficultterain including cross axle situations. Some years ago we messed around a bit and had some fun experimenting with the towing pole, it is even possible to push a vehicle while exercising care and driving two vehicles under power = 8x8 is very interesting Many LR101FC have a pintle at front and at the rear.

Anthony
Wales
GB
Buzz
United States of America

Towing Capacity

Post by Buzz »

On those brake controllers, will they handle 24 volts or do you just wire-in one battery? - Buzz
"It's as stupid and wonderful as owning a pet elephant."
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

You wire the controller directly to the rear battery for 12 volt source.
It's the 12v signal wire(trigger)that is a bit tricky, I put 2 12v LED bulbs in line to cut the 24v brake sense/trigger wire to 12v.
It's really a no brainer :roll:
The blue and white wires from the controller then get hooked to the trailer plug 8)
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
wwcommando

Post by wwcommando »

Well lets see, I've towed my Jeep Wrangler from Prescott, AZ to Las Vegas NV, my Nissan King Cab 4x4 from Las Vegas to Kingman AZ and I've towed my Coleman pop-up more than 2000 miles with my 72 710M, never had much trouble I just watch the down hill speed using lower gears and gentle braking on big hills and I don't get carried away with speed. The only time I have trouble is on panic braking and the truck will get a little squirrelly if you jump on the brakes at 50 mph plus. Last June I was coming back into Vegas from a trip to central NV with the Coleman in tow, got into town just about rush hour ( Mike or Miles can tell you about Vegas freeway driving at rush hr) anyway I'm going about 50, look up and see nothing but brake lights, stomped the brake and thought the trailer was going to come around the drivers side, lots of weaving and swaying but got it stopped before hitting anything. After that I checked my shorts and took the surface streets home.
Jeff
PinzEOD

Post by PinzEOD »

wwcommando wrote:<snip>got into town just about rush hour ( Mike or Miles can tell you about Vegas freeway driving at rush hr) <snip>
Don't you mean freeway parking? The number of Valet tents popping up on the Spaghetti Bowl is ridiculous.

Nice to see you're still around...your postings have been rather scarce. (Must be all that bird hunting) :lol:
Mike Newton 1973 712M (sold)
I do not like this word "bomb." It is not a bomb. It is a device that is exploding. Jacques le Blanc
wwcommando

Post by wwcommando »

Been busy, working, camping, hoisting a few cool ones, hitting the lake with some friends, hoisting a few cool ones, and of course PROJECTS. I'm looking for a way to get the ATV in the back of the Pinz, It looks like it will fit, except I'll need to pull the rear roll bar each time. I might remove the rear gate and side panels and fab a loading ramp/ tail gate for it, that way I can take the Coleman and the ATV on the next trip to So. AZ, plus the ATV in the bed should add weight over the rear axle and make braking a little more stable, although the angle is kind of steep for loading and unloading might have to winch it in and out.. Speaking of bird hunting, it's just around the corner 2 weeks, then deer hunting in the Pinz the following week should be lots of fun, can't wait!
Jeff
PinzEOD

Post by PinzEOD »

Having had both sides and the back apart, I think I'd look into converting one side, or both, into a drop side arrangement. A little judicious cutting and bracing just forward of the rear overhead bar will leave the corners and tail door area intact and strong. Wouldn't take much to rig a sling and slide assembly to winch your ATV into the bed sideways, sort of a plywood platform on rails or something.

The lake is just a hop over Sunrise Mountain for me, perhaps some time we can quaff a few malt beverages and compare pinz notes/projects.
Mike Newton 1973 712M (sold)
I do not like this word "bomb." It is not a bomb. It is a device that is exploding. Jacques le Blanc
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Have a look at what they do on the British Army TD or the Austrian REHABS Mike ...... It might give you a few ideas

Rehabs = http://users.bigpond.net.au/profpinz/pi ... rehabs.htm
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
wwcommando

Post by wwcommando »

PinzEOD wrote:
The lake is just a hop over Sunrise Mountain for me, perhaps some time we can quaff a few malt beverages and compare pinz notes/projects.
Sounds good, after the deer hunt I should have some free time, going to try some Shell Spirax HD 85-140W in the rear diff today, see if the heavier oil will smooth out some of the highway vibration. Thilo did a Exec 2 on this truck so that's not the problem. I'm running straight 85W now. We had one hell of a hail storm Sat am at our campsite and the wash below us turned into a river twice for a few hours, We found a dead coyote that looked like it had been brained by the hail storm Sat morning.
Jeff