Trouble starting - Pinzgauer 710K

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Twebba

Trouble starting - Pinzgauer 710K

Post by Twebba »

(1st post) :)

I looked around and didn't see much in the way of questions in regards to trouble starting a Pinzgauer.
(Sorry for the loss, by the way - sounds like there was lot's of good info here)

I just bought a '73 710K. It worked fine up until the point I brought it home.
When I try to start her up, I get the typical sounds before the engine turns over, but nothing happens.
(In other words, I get more than a click, click, click, but no "chugga, chugga, vroom, vroom")
- How's that for technical? :wink:

Does anyone have any quick pointers that I might try to get 'er goin?
I'm not that mechanically saavy about this beast yet, but soon hope to be.
Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

~ TW ~
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

You are pushing the start button like the Lexus now has???
Then it sounds like you have had the Chitty Chitty No bang Bang demod installed.

Does the engine crank? Next Is the gas gauge showing above reserve? Then when you turn the key to run turn it with a litle more authority and see if that helps.(Don't break the key, but sometimes as the switch goes bad you can diagnose by turning the key a second time with a little more oomph (techincal term .025 wookie pound foot). If that starts the pinz plan on a new ignition switch.
Twebba

Post by Twebba »

Huh. Didn't even know that was an after-market item.

Well, the belts are turning and I'm pretty sure it's not the starter switch.
(But I tried your suggestion just in case)

At first I thought I may have flooded it, but none of the post-flooding procedures worked. (Even the "sleep on it and try again in the morning" method).
I added a few gallons of gas for good measure, but still no luck.
If I didn't know any better (which I don't, trust me) It almost seems as though it's not getting any sparks.

I'm really not looking forward to a tow.
Funny thing is, I was trying to get it warmed up so I can take it down and have Dennis at Linden Engineering give her the usual post-purchase blessing and let me know what the immediate maintenance needs should be.

Bummer timing, eh? :roll:

~ TW ~
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

Are you pulling out the choke?

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
I-10pinz

Post by I-10pinz »

I was running mine out in our pasture and it just wouldn't start, found that if you hold it at full throttle and dont pump it it started. then again i havent had that problem again, think i just flooded it.
Twebba

Post by Twebba »

Yup. I've tried the choke in just about every possible position.

I haven't tried it at full throttle yet - I thought if I had flooded it, that would only make the problem worse.
(At this point it certainly can't hurt to try)

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
I'll keep ya'll posted.

~ TW ~
Twebba

Post by Twebba »

Bugger!
:?
A full-throttle start didn't do the trick either.

- Guess it's time for a tow. I wonder if AAA covers this even though it's parked at home. (?)

Thanks again guys!

~ TW ~

Starting Problem

Post by Guest »

Pull a sparkplug and see what they look like. Mine were fouled and after just a good cleaninmg and a gap check it started right up. Might not hurt to pull the dist. cap and look at the contacts on both the cap and rotor. A small wire brushing can really help make a better contact. Good Luck!

Post by Guest »

Yeah, I agree with the "check the plugs" fix. I learned that the Pinzy will run fine right up until the plugs are so fouled that it won't even re-start. Even if it ran fine before shutting it off.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Yeah, I agree with the "check the plugs" fix. I learned that the Pinzy will run fine right up until the plugs are so fouled that it won't even re-start. Even if it ran fine before shutting it off.

Also, even the best running Pinzies that I've seen have trouble starting when warm. The gas on the floor seems to be the solution for restarting too.
Twebba

Post by Twebba »

All set. :D

Dennis at Linden suggested the old "poor gas directly into the carbs" trick - and that's ultimately what solved the problem.
(And boy, it took a lot more than I ever would have thought possible.)

The first 5 or 6 times it would start, but only for a very short time, so I figured that I must be on the right track.
Finally, after pouring a full cup in each carb, it sputtered along and eventually settled down to a nice steady rhythm. (Thanks Dennis!)

Guess these are the types of adventures I get to look forward to as a new Pinz owner, eh?
Bring it on! :P

~ TW ~
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

I had a similar issue with my K,neophrene gasket split in eiberheatinthing fuel pump allowing fuel in line to gravity feed back to tank. Cranking does not seem to overcome this issue,but x-tra spin from added fuel in carbs could make up for this. The heaterthing pump is tee-d into the fuel line to the engines fuel pump and if it bleeds down the fuel pump cannot pull fuel with a "hole"in the line. I was lucky that this happened in my driveway. :lol: ..but on a previous outing I did have some "surging" issues on slow climbs off road :roll:
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
~NoMaD~

Post by ~NoMaD~ »

I had a starting issue after flooding the engine with water (long story with river floods and all) After much work, I found a tiny amount of moisture in the distributor cap... couple squirts of WD40, and she was running like a dream again!

Water + Electrical = No Go...

Nomy