a/c

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

M Wehrman
United States of America

a/c

Post by M Wehrman »

Well after my 1ST attempt to explain my new adventure w/air conditoining Pinz2 and it DISSAPPEARED :shock: I will be cruising in air conditioned comfort this Summer,more info to follow. TTFN,Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Sheeted the cab top,added bracing,attached Red Dot 24V 6100 rooftop unit. This unit is rated at 16,500 btu,assuming the rating standards are uniform,this is 5000 btu more than the a/c that I had in my K. :shock: It worked well. I fabricated a compressor bracket from 1/4" plate,many interesting angles... mounted 24v Sanden-type compressor. I have a machinist making me a hub to replace the orig ft pulley. It will use a 3-bolt mounting like Chev V-8's use. Borrowing an idea from Mike Nims of SWPA 8) ,it will use a OTC aluminum speed shop pulley,3 groove .The rear grooves will both be for compressor,ft groove will run fan/alt. This set-up will allow an easy drive option for the future p/steering. 8) When I get done I may not be able to go very fast ,but I will be comfortable and I won't need 2 arms to steer! :D After all this is Arizona and one must keep properly hydrated,therefore a hand free is a real safety requirement :lol: More to follow....TTFN,Mark

68 Haffy
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Interesting :D ...... After reading about your installation, I looked up the Australian Red Dot Distributor only to find he is virtually just up the end of my street.
I might have to go up and have a closer look at the 6100 unit.

Ohh and PS...The best thing I EVER fitted..... besides the Webasto heater, 2.7 litre mod, Simex ET's, Engel Fridge etc, etc :wink: :roll: :twisted:
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
alanh

Post by alanh »

Mark,

I could use an AC in my C303, so I'm curious how this works out and how it seems to affect available power. Have you got some installation pictures to post?

This is kind of drifting off-topic, but I used to work in a building right next door to the Red Dot facility in the Seattle area. I never knew what they did. Now I know!
Alan
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

I will post pics when unit fully operational,at this time I'm still waiting on the machinist to cut my hub.As for power loss,a Sanden-style compressor is not a power hog like a York or old G.M A6. I worked on Subarus for a few years,among other things installing a/c's. The power draw from the compressor was hardly noticible,and if memory serves they were only 67 hp engines. I want to enjoy my truck as much as possible so if I go a bit slower-so be it! If I need the additional power I can always turn it off and be like a "base model" Pinz!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: TTFN,Mark

68 Haffy
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Apparently Machinists are a proud breed,I was quoted $640 to make my hub. :shock: :shock: Currently rescearching another idea :roll: My goal is to keep a/c cost under $1500. 8) Currently I'm at $1250,so the numbers won't fit. Stay tuned as the saga continues............. Mark

68 Haffy
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

Prototyping fees. There is a set up cost/tooling cost for every job. A one off parts gets all the production cost + tooling cost + design/set up cost. If you have a 100 parts made the tooling, set up costs are divided by 100 and each part only pays 1/100 of those costs.

Kinda helps you understand why those rip off dealers and mechanics just want to go and spend time developing a new whats it, making a couple so it can be cloned and sold by others cheaper. Stepping away from my soap box before I get started.

You might want to go and talk to the machinist and talk alternatives. Many time someone comes in with a preconceived notion of what he wants or how it should be done. Let him know what you have in the way of existing parts, what you really want to accomplish and ask if he has a better idea. Remember that $90.00 per hour or so is how he pays the bills on his shop, keeps the lights and heat/cooling on, pays his insurance, his help, taxes, buys material, pays the bank note on the equipment and the building, buy expendable tooling, metrology gear,and then hopes to put food on his families table. And maybe after all is said and done buy himself a cold beer occasionally, if he doesn't send this month's health insurance premium instead. Damn proud machinist, he ought to be ashamed of himself.
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Apparently Machinists are a proud breed,I was quoted $640 to make my hub.
Gee's they know how to charge in the US.
Admittedly I supplied the material for my pulley (a 30kg slug of steel) but I think I paid about $100Aus ($75US) machining charge.
I could have done it myself but it was "cheaper" (read, more time efficient in this case) to get it done by someone else! :lol:
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com

Post by 2012 »

i thought i'd mentioned the webasto 24 volt ac unit that dennis williams endorses, but now i can't see it anywhere. he says they work gr8!
Last edited by 2012 on Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

The 24v model may be just fine in Colorado,but I have reservations about it's abilities here in Az or where you are with the humidity. :( :? On a more personal note,my unit should be a go in about 3-weeks! :D :D :D :D :D

68 Haffy

Post by 2012 »

"reservations"... you mean you think they don't put out enough cold?
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

I was using an 11000 BTU rv a/c,and I wouldn't consider anything less. contact Foz for his input,I believe he lives in your neck of the woods!

68 Haffy
Foz

Post by Foz »

I have a 710k in Florida... and use on of these

http://www.flagshipmarine.com/rooftopac.html

110v provided by one of these:

http://www2.northerntool.com/product/20 ... 028324.htm

works like a champ.

Foz
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Gents
Webasto make three models in the "CC4E style" roof mounted range.
All of them are 5 inches tall and therefore look part of the vehicle when installed.

The models are rated at the following, CC4e 3.5Kw, CC5E 5kw, and the big daddy of them all the CC8 at 8.5 kw.

In Colorado the CC4E is sufficient however in higher ambients larger models would need to be considered.
Dennis
Linden Engineering Inc
Factory Authorized & Approved Webasto Agents
OOOps no customer bashing now

kw's to btu's

Post by 2012 »

ah - good to hear from dennis.... that's my question right there: how many kw's = 1 btu?