You guys seen this?

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

metrofire

You guys seen this?

Post by metrofire »

hi just spotted this site in UK they carry out diesal conversions and LPG installs on Pinzies

http://www.c-u-v.co.uk/index.asp
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I have spoken to one of the guys who is in the partnership unfortunately he tells me that it is one of the other partners that has the technical details and as yet has not answered his phone.

The good news is that it is the 2.9 5cyl from the Mercedes Sprinter and not the G-Wagon, which means that it should be quite useful and frugal. Evidently they have one up and running but have not been developed to a standard for the public as yet but that should mot be far off I was told.

Anthony
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Anthony
The Sprinters on this side of the pond use a 2.7TD producing 154hp at 3800rpm. Again, its also what is being done to get the on road speed up with the rest of the drivetrain.

I don't know the max rpms on that engine, and from the single pic... I wonder about the cooling and oiling with the engine at that angle.
The 2.7TD would be a great engine for my Pinz though. :D Even if redlined at 4000rpm, it would still keep me in the 75 to 80 mph range. :D

Dave Dunn
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
rick.byrne

CUV

Post by rick.byrne »

Nice looking website. Thanks for pointing it out. Where in the UK is CUV based and has anyone else had any contact / dealings with this [new] company?

Rick
Northampton
Rick Byrne
1975 710K
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Rick,

I have just talked to the other guy in the partenership this morning; he knows much more about the Trans-Plant. He tells me that they have one up and running at the moment but it will not be available for 6 weeks to the general public due to them having to iron things out. Contrary to what I was told yesterday the Engine is not from the Mercedes Transporter but from the model preceding it. I am not sure about what that exactly was but he assures me that it is a direct injection unit.

They do the transplant with its attendant transmission from the Van which should help things. I am not sure what the engine graph looks like but I do know from the Mercedes UK site that the 5cyl engine in the Transporter only appears to rev up till about 3800 rpm, so the gearing will have to be taller to give similar road speed.
Evidently the reason why they have not tried to fit the more recent 5cyl from the Transporter is that the Electronic Engine management would be complex for them to sort out and the route they have chosen is more simple. As it was they have had to make changes to the sump and oil filter positioning.

The feeling that I get and it is only that and not substantiated by fact, is that these things are done in Austria by an other party, and then marketed by those on the web site. I asked him about dry sumping and he was very vague and said “they have had to do a lot of work to get it to fit” and implied I felt it was done over there. He also said that would be soon in the UK for testing and I could have a look at it so reinforcing my feelings.

I asked them about Disc Brakes and he said he had seen vehicles with them and new which parts fitted and if a customer wanted those or an auto box then they would approach this as an add hock basis and would supply a vehicle to the customers needs?

At present there UK set up is near to Huddersfield but will be moving closer to me in Wales were this unit will be available soon.

Dave it seems that the fly by wire 156 bhp Transporter engine with all its attendant electronics will have to be developed by some one else, however if the 5cyl lump from the previous Van goes in then hope fully so will that which would give a lot more power over the 115 php quoted for this one.

I hope that all that made sense as I know I do go on a little and am not that economic with words. :)

Anthony
Wales
UK
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Anthony

To keep the redundancy down, and have a linear thread, I'll reply here and not on the yahoo group.

I don't know anything about the "former engine" at all ( not that it means much :wink: ), but if it is a readily available and supported engine in Europe, it might be ok. But I would dread having to source any parts in the US. The 2.4TD is already bad enough here. The gas Steyr engine' parts are well supported here, though pricy.

Again the gearing comes into play..... In the yahoo post you said that the company was using the Transporter's original tranny with it. This may have or have not the OD gearing needed to get the 710/12 up to highway speed, but what about 1st gear? In the 710/12 it is a granny gear that isn't used for normal driving (5.25)... if the "new" tranny doesn't incorperate this gear ( close ratio), it would seriously hamper the off road ability, this is also true of those that use the 716 OD tranny in a gasser, as it's 1st gear is 4.25. See if you can get the info on the gearing of the trans, and we can compare what will happen when coupled with either a 710 of 712 T case.... no matter what's the engine, it's always about the gears.

Dave Dunn
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Tony

Post by Tony »

This could be just what we Pinz owners in the USA really need!

A partnership, in England, that doesn't have the ability to answer the phone means just one thing. The partners are just to busy talking to savy investors and customers.

The partner's basic business concept is sound.

The customer sends his money to one of the partners in payment for a diesel motor that will allow the Pinz to cruise a 80MPH.

One of the partners will then send the Pinz owner a diesel motor.

The obvious justification, by the astute Pinz owner, for this is that the new motor will be frugal with fuel.

6,000 miles per year / 12mpg = 500 gallons.

A frugal motor might save 15% on fuel.

15% of 500 gallons = 75 gallons of fuel saved.

75 gallons @ $3.00 per gallon = $225 saved in one year.

So it is an easy business decision. The cost benefit ratio is out of sight.

Send several thousands of dollars to, a partner in England, then have the partner send the motor back ( from England ) to you.

Have a mechanic remove your existing motor and then install the new motor.

Then have a tuner get the new motor running correctly.

Then have him call the partner in England for tech support and advice when the problems come up.

Then find out that the partner has had his phone disconnected.

I think the entire disaster should not cost more that $15,000.

The good part of it is, that if you were frugal, you would have kept your old motor, and could have it put back into your Pinz.

Just where it belonged in the first place.
Lightningpinz

Post by Lightningpinz »

Tony,
Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Tony,If there is one thing about Pinz owners,its a labor of love and this does not always have anything to do with economics! There is a baseline and if you can recover 50% on adds you are doing good. Otherwise a K is a K and an M is an M. Buy a 2 yr old Jeep,and a 710K,add $5000 in adds,age 5years and I think you will agree the Pinz will win on resale. The engine change is like buying a swimming pool,pay 30K,adds maybe 15K at time of sale,but how can you put a price on personal use/pleasure?BTW,(cross posting,NOT dressing) I have a K for sale,Vince
forgive me :

oops: .... Mark

Tony,I LOVE your posts,swing by the house for a brew!
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
dumptruckGB
Liechtenstein

Get the facts

Post by dumptruckGB »

Get the facts before you guess
Pinz A ho!!
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

dumptruckGB,

PINZMEISTER?
gregor@c-u-v.co.uk

Hi are these the facts?

http://www.c-u-v.co.uk/vehicle_details.asp?Id=2

Diesel Conversion ..We will by the end of May/June 2006 be able to offer diesel units for your Petrol Pinzgauer..We will also be modifing our Pinzgauers as they come in to be sold on as diesel Pinzgauers , this is a option process from base unit ..ALL WORK IS CARRIED OUT AT OUR UK SITE by "PINZMEISTER" ..We will NOT be selling conversion kits and all work will ONLY be carried out ON SITE....CUVTechnical Specification Mercedes-Benz 2.9 cc /5 Cyl diesel/98 Hp, is the unit chosen easy obtain parts and maintain , and proven reliabilty..

Must be nearly ready £ ?

Anthony
Wales
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

Thanks for the info Anthony.
The engine depicted is not available over here, being normally aspirated I wonder if it can pull lazy man out of bed!

In the rocky mountains I bet it would be a chore to drive at 10,000' especially with a de-rate for altitude.

The engine that is similar and from the same generation is the 603 being six cylinder turbo charged and producing a nominal 115 BHP. This was distributed here albeit in small quantities in mid eighties Benz 300D's.
I have one of these as a take out which I have offered to various chassis, Rangie and Pinz included.
Of course my old favourite is the M617 turbo brute (1981 to 85 300D in a 123 body)being a 5 banger it will produce 125 BHP nominally and punch a lazy old MOG 404 out of bed quicker than you can say turbo lag!
Best regards
Dennis
Tony

Post by Tony »

My reply has to do with Anthony from Wales.

I from time to time get e-mails like this. They are generaly from Nigeria telling me I can get millions just because I am one lucky guy.

The people that write the Nigerian scam crap are nothing other than illiterate con-man dunces.

Anthony, from Wales is no different. With the exception that he is selling motors rather than mysterious Nigerian bank accounts.

Read his latest post and decide for yourself. Even a mother would have serious second thoughts.

Poor Anthony.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Thanks Dennis I know much less about this engine than you.

Tony I have nothing what so ever to do with this company.

I do share some of your reticence as there is no contact address which would worry me if I were to hand any money over. Though one of its Directors is also I believe the owner of an other UK Pinzgauer site

http://www.swissarmyimports.com/4466.html
Swiss Army Imports which does seam to have a UK address, Main office : 49 Waterside, York. ENGLAND. YO51 9GE.

I think that the "718K High Cube Pinzgauers" have been seen from time to time under "PINZMEISTER" name amongst others. I believe that they have been commented on both here and on other web sites before, as coming from the open cast coal mining industry in Germany. I would feel a little uncomfortable dealing with people or companies that are so anonymous and which appear to change names. However trying to have faith in human nature perhaps it is just an oversight on there part.

Anthony
In Wales most definitely not from it.
MarkPinz
United States of America

Post by MarkPinz »

Here's an engine swap / hybrid idea (carpool lane accessible) that may be useful in the Pinz as well... http://www.ronpatrickstuff.com/
Just get in and go....