LED Brake Lights

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Heed

LED Brake Lights

Post by Heed »

I have begun work on making my Pinz "D.O.T. - approved". Does anyone know of a source for 24v L.E.D. brake lights? They all seem to be for 12v.
Bob
1990 - Mercedes G-Wagon 250GD

A goal without a plan is just a wish!
krick3tt

LED lights

Post by krick3tt »

I got mine locally at a place called LIGHTHOUSE. Try LIGHTBRITE.COM, XTREMEWHITE.COM, MANUFACTURERS.COM or just go to 'ASK JEEVES" and enter locations for LED lights in your area.
Run them in series with your OEM lights as they are really low drain and your electrical system may not recognise them. I also put them on my 404 MOG, really make a difference.
Morris, 73 710M
PinzEOD

Post by PinzEOD »

I got mine here:
http://www.buytruckstuff.com/product.as ... &p_gpID=54
I replaced the factory lights with 2 amber and 2 red. These are multi-volt so I also have them on my trailer.

You might check you local requirements about the factory lighting. I know in Nevada, the stock set-up is legal. I kept a copy of the statute in my glove box until I installed the LEDs. Undoubtedly, red for braking is much safer as far as driver recognition goes.
Mike Newton 1973 712M (sold)
I do not like this word "bomb." It is not a bomb. It is a device that is exploding. Jacques le Blanc
krick3tt

LED lights

Post by krick3tt »

When I answered the previous time it was for LED lights question.

I would highly recommend the taillight conversion for the pinz that actually changes the internals to have the red light become the stop light and the amber the turn signals.
Got my kit from Expedition Imports in CA. Look them up on the web, Scott is a real great guy to deal with. He will probably be in Europe now for the auctions but Alex can do a super job of getting you on the right track for the conversion. I am not an electrical wizzard and I did the switch over in an hour. Ask for an extra set of bulbs for spares, the kit comes with one set of bulbs.
Morris, 710M
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

I just flipped my tail lights lenses over. In stock form, the brakes are orange and the blinkers are red. When the lenses are reversed, it makes the brakes RED and the blinkers ORANGE.
An easy fix that is cheaper (and looks better) than mounting some bulky Jeep style tail lights. Save your money for some led marker lights.
rollingpinz

Post by rollingpinz »

Hello

I have considered flipping the lens, but the reflector has rivets that secure it to the lense. I can remove them, but what do I do to re-attach the reflector to the lense?

Eric P
How would an ice-age end without global warming?
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Though the original post is on LEDs, but it has gone to converting the brakelamps to red ... All that is needed is a dual filiment brakelamp sockets to make the brake and tail lamps share the same lense, and the turn indicators will remain amber. This is the conversion here
http://www.sdp-pinzgauer.org/html/tail_ ... rsion.html

Dave Dunn
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

I guess it wasn't that easy to modify the stock tail lights. I remember removing the lens cover (2 screws) and prying the cover out of the housing. Then I flipped the internals, having to cut the lens housing a bit to allow for the bulbs to fit back into the lens.
Just jump in, eveything will make sense. It did for me. I'm not a mechanic.

P.S.- keep your greasy fingers off of those expensive 24 volt bulbs to keep them from burning out prematurely.
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Wouldn't it be easier to switch the park and brake/t-sig wire? 2 screws and done. 8)
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
wwcommando

Post by wwcommando »

I mounted Jeep style tail lights on my 710M and put 24 Volt bulbs in them, they are lots brighter than stock and have the sockets already available for back up lights, just run a wire to a switch on the dash.
Jeff
wd8cdh

Post by wd8cdh »

I think the easiest red brake light conversion is the dual filament sockets from SAV and just move the wire from the top socket to the extra post on the bottom one. It makes both turn and stop red so the amber part of the lens isn't used but it looks totally stock.
Ron Schroeder
WD8CDH
'73 710M

led tail/brake/turn lights

Post by 2012 »

www.americansuperlite.com . cheap, high quality, WAY nicer than bulbs, voltage sensing (work gr8 on 24v), best deal going as far as i can see.
Rule 308

Post by Rule 308 »

They do look nice but I did not see any pricing.
Rule .308
Foz

Post by Foz »

http://www.buytruckstuff.com/s_product_ ... category=2

I've been using em for a couple of years... very nice IMO.
Foz
PinzEOD

Post by PinzEOD »

I agree with Foz..after his initial post a while back about that url and their lights, I bought them...and I love them.
Mike Newton 1973 712M (sold)
I do not like this word "bomb." It is not a bomb. It is a device that is exploding. Jacques le Blanc