Seat height adjustment

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

blindguy

Seat height adjustment

Post by blindguy »

Ok, first of all, I'm glad to have the forums back. I love to read about these trucks. I'm estatic to see you guys back in business.

Now for my question..

I've been to Expedition Imports in Vallejo (What a great group of guys, btw) and driven a 710, but due to my size I really felt cramped in the cab. I'm 6'6", and apparently I'm taller in the torso than in the legs. That being said, I'm curious if the seats are mounted directly to the tub, or if there are brackets and slides that raise the seats off the tub. If I could lower the seats down a bit that would give me the headroom I need I think.

I'm still trying to find a way to get me one of these. I just can't stand the idea of not enjoying driving it once I get it.

I suppose I could take the doors off for summer and cruise it around!

Any input about how you have retrofitted new seats would be great. Thanks!
MarkPinz
United States of America

Post by MarkPinz »

Space is pretty much optimized in the seating area, stock seats are mounted close to the floor as it is. Just changed to aftermarket seats myself, the plus is they are much more comfortable for the long drive. At 6' even my eyes are right at the top of the windshield header so I do have to look under a bit at times. It may be possible to mount a thinner seat closer to the floor thou?
Just get in and go....
IwanaPinz

Post by IwanaPinz »

I'm 6'7" and yes it is cramped.
To shift back into first I have to lift my right leg slightly to bring the shifter into the correct position.

I also have to hunch slightly to see below the header but I have no plans to change the seats.

The slight discomfort is nothing compared to the joy of ownership.
Man that's corny.

Brian Hahl
1973 712 M
Nothing says four wheel drive like six wheel drive.
wwcommando

Post by wwcommando »

I installed seats from a Geo Metro, they are allot more comfortable than stock but taller and at 6' I need to hunch down somewhat to see traffic lights but I have no trouble reaching all the controls, on the other hand once the top comes off I just look over the top of the header....
Jeff
MarkPinz
United States of America

Post by MarkPinz »

I share your sentiment Brian, My little lady was the persuasion to change to cushy seat :roll:
Just get in and go....
blindguy

Post by blindguy »

I didn't notice the problem so much with the header of the windshield as I did on the doors. Seeing out the side was more difficult for me.

Like I said, maybe I just need to take the doors off!
SingleDave

Raise the roof!

Post by SingleDave »

I raised my windshield and roll bars with 3 inch stock and other than paint match it looks factory. The canvas will need to be lengthend but in So. Cal. it's not needed much. At 6' 2" I dont hit the roll bars anymore and I can see out the windshield. Traffic lights too! Fully un-boltable to stock.
blindguy

Post by blindguy »

Wow! Now that is a great idea!

Could you send me some pictures of how you did that, and the finished appearance?

Thanks!

paintxprt at sbcglobal.net