Worn spots on canvas

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Hawkeye Pinz

Worn spots on canvas

Post by Hawkeye Pinz »

I've had my "new" Pinz for about a month now and have noticed a few worn spots on the canvas over the cab. When it rains I get a bit of water behind the drivers seat. Whats the best way to seal up these worn spots?
lindenengineering

Post by lindenengineering »

You will need some patching material. I use some patches out of a ripped and torn up old pinzie canopy.
Go to Home Despot and buy some acetone cleaner and rubberized adhesive for shower stalls.
Use the acetone to clean the area and the patch ready for adhesive.
Apply a light coating on both surfaces and let them dry. Now apply a fresh coat to each face and stick down the patch smoothing out all the bubbles. I tend to run a light coating of adhesive around the edge of the patch jus for good measure.
Hope that helps
Dennis
Buzz
United States of America

Worn Spots

Post by Buzz »

You can also use the materials from a bike inner tube patch kit. The black rubber patched and glue will work fine from the inside. I have also used blue RTV pressed into the worn spaces where the rubber is gone but the canvas is still mostly there. Honestly, the RTV works as well as the patch if there is still enough canvas left to act as a web to carry the RTV. - Buzz
"It's as stupid and wonderful as owning a pet elephant."
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
1990 Puch G Wagon 230 GE
SteveInNC

Post by SteveInNC »

Another option is a waterbed patch kit. The patch is waterproof and designed to take a lateral load, but is typically vinyl instead of rubber. I patched a Jeep top with it (I got a little too happy with a knife when cutting something off of the rollbar).
JohnGelbert

Post by JohnGelbert »

One more suggestion.....go to a store that sells rafts, such as white water rafts. They will carry the same material (in green) that is used to make rafts. Very strong stuff! Unfortunetaly, it does not match the green of my top. However, you can put it on the inside and no one will see it. They also sell special glue like they use to patch rafts....also very strong stuff. Here in Denver, this store is called: AAA inflatables Equipment and repairs, 303 296-2444. Hope this helps! :)

John
John