Jerry can holder

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Weight

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

The last thing a K Pinz needs is more weight at the top. I'd think twice about where you mount weight on trucks that are already very top-heavy. 35lbs or so for each can, x 2, so 70lbs extra near roof level is not a good thing for quick side tilts. That inertia adds up real fast.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

No offense but...
Why would you want to add 70 lbs of unprotected explosive liquid to the top outside corners of your Pinzy? Where are you going that requires 30 gallons of gas to get between filling stations? Is there no room inside the back for your extra gas?
Just curious.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Sometimes

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Actually I needed two or three extra cans on my trip into the Canyonlands with my 303. I think we were 90 miles away from the nearest paved road at one point. (hm, was it that far??)

Also, the euro cans found on the military Pinz/Mogs/303's are built super tough so there's little worry of spilling anything. I know all about it after my roll overs in Croatia. One can was launched down a steep, wooded bank where it was rolled, hit hard directly on the cap and dented it all over but not a drop leaked. Also, gas (petrol) is not explosive in the way that most people think it is. You can drop a match into one of those cans and all you'll get is a little flame up at first, then just a torch effect as oxygen is needed to sustain flames.

Same goes for gas tanks on cars too, you'd actually have to inject air into a tank to get a TV-like explosion effect, but even then it won't be TV style. When fighting a car fire the scariest thing to happen is when one of the tires blows out. It scares you because you think the tank is suppose to blow up (too many years watching Chips reruns). In fact, in ten years of running every type of 911 call I can think of, the only time something really did something TV style was a propane tank that was mounted on the side of an RV... although the rest of the RV had to almost burn to the ground before the tank went. It shot a flame about 15 feet long for what seemed like a minute straight. Oh and if one of the old magnesium VW engines catches fire, you got problems. Metals like that supply their own oxygen so it takes massive amounts of water to get them out. It's not uncommon to let them just burn out and watch the fireworks show.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

bernhard

Post by bernhard »

I’m not all that worried about the explosive potential of all that gas. Seeing how the tank and Jerry can are mounted on the K now I would imagine getting hit by a car on the right side might be more of a problem. As far as why I need that much gas I do plan on taking longer trips through Mexico were getting stranded with no gas is more dangerous then the gas itself. :? I suppose I can mount them inside but was hopping to keep it free for things I can’t put a padlock on. One of my reasoning for buying the K was the hardtop with locks.

Bernhard
Bernhard
1973 712M
1975 710K
2013 Tacoma TRD 4X4