Additional Battery (?)

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Twebba

Additional Battery (?)

Post by Twebba »

I recently purchased an 8000 lb capacity winch at Costco. (A screamin’ deal at $300 USD)
I’d like to install it on my 710K, but the problem (of course) is the fact that it’s a 12 volt winch.
The winch says that it needs a battery with a minimum of 650CCA to operate. (Cold Cranking Amps?)

So, here’s the million-dollar question(s):
Would a simple voltage reducer be able to provide power to the winch?
(I’ve been operating under the assumption that those were used primarily for accessories)
If this would work, I'm also assuming that power is not an issue because of the dual batteries already in use. (Is that correct?)
OR
Is it possible to add an additional battery that can be used to power the winch?
- The bonus here would be the ability to use other 12V accessories without the need for a voltage reducer.
If so, could anyone explain how this is done? (For instance, is the new battery charged off the alternator? Does it need its own separate alternator?) I’m truly boggled at the possibilities. :?

I’m sure this has been done before (and possibly discussed at length on this forum). If anybody has a link or some plans they’d like to share, I would be very grateful. In fact, if you live near Denver, I’ll buy the first couple rounds for a quick brain-dump on the subject. :wink:

Thanks!

(Sorry if I got rambling here...)
~ TW ~
'73 710K
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

I had 2 yellow top Optimas in my K,they were charged thru a solar panel. It was my plan to power my winch from these,even though the charge-recovery rate was low,I figured that if I was stuck and I drained 2 optimas,I better call for reinforcements! I will persue this Idea on my 712,as the K is for sale :( Mark
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
Foz

Post by Foz »

Can you have the winch motor rewired for 24v operation? Ask a starter rebuild shop.
Foz
EvanH

Post by EvanH »

My rear mounted winch is 12 V. See my install at:

http://home.comcast.net/~hillmanpinz/

You do need some sort of battery feed to the winch. I suppose in theory you could tie the winch to the "lower" Pinz battery, then rely on the equalizer to get the batteries back in balance after you are done winching.

For my install, I added two battery boxes up behind the rear wheels, with the batteries wired in parallel feeding the winch and my 12 V toys. I'm using one of the Solar battery equalizers to charge the 12 V batteries. I used premade battery cables to wire the whole thing together, and I mounted the control box inside the bed beside the rear door. I have some heavy-duty fuses mounted in-line with the cables.

All of that weight in the back, plus 90 pounds of lead in the tailcone really helps hold the back end down. The weight is all low, where it is more likely to increase lateral stability than to decrease it.

The winch is an 8000 lb Milemarker winch. It looks suspiciouly like the cheap one being sold by Harbor Freight.

For what it is worth, I have used the winch "for real" twice, and both times it failed. The first time I pulled out a stuck truck, then one of the control solenoids stopped working because it got hot. I couldn't spool the wire back into the winch. I was done winching, so I just piled the cable in the back and went on my way. But if it had failed before I was done winching that would not have been good.

The second time was when I got a skidsteer stuck in my yard. The bolt used to clamp the cable tail to the side of the spool sheared, and the spool started turning while the wire stayed still. I didn't have time to drop everything and fix the winch, so I got a neighbor to pull the skidsteer out with his F-250. Part of the lesson here is that it is important to have the wire wound tightly on the spool, so that the spool itself takes the winching force instead of the tail of the cable.

The thing about inexpensive winches is false economy. Potentially life-saving equipment isn't a place to count pennies. I saved a bunch of money buying the 12 V Milemarker instead of a high-end unit, but now I have an edge of distrust. If I'm 100 miles from civilization (such as, say, in Huntsville Alabama) and the winch fails again, I could be in deep doo-doo.

I'm sure there are others with pretty strong opinions, too!

-Evan
Twebba

Post by Twebba »

From the sound of things, charging a 12V battery via solar panels is pretty common.

Since I'm not a mechanic, I'm just curious... Does charging off an alternator take too much drain?
It seems to me that solar wouldn't do the job adequately, but I have very little experience on that topic as well.
I don't suppose either of you guys have links or pics showing the panels and/or connectors?
It might be fun to dabble into alternative energy sources... Are the solar panels big? I have a rack on the roof and I'm wondering where I would be able put the panels.

Thanks for the tips so far.
Keep 'em coming! :)
~ TW ~
'73 710K
MarkPinz
United States of America

Post by MarkPinz »

Here's a link to the SDP site for a write up on a solar panel 710K: http://www.sdp-pinzgauer.org/html/solar ... the_k.html as well as as a comparison on a 12V/24V converter Vs balancer: http://www.sdp-pinzgauer.org/html/12v_supply.html
Just get in and go....
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

I found a solar panel was all that was needed to maintain my batteries and operate any 12v items I needed. Most of the time a vehicle sits and no battery draw,so solar keeps it up. OOPS! I must remember I live in AZ where sunshine is plentiful! Remember, Juergen?? 8) 8) I think the only time there would be an issue would be on those long overcast periods. :( I do know you get what you pay for...better quality panels will still provide some power even on those dreary days. My panel measures roughly 1ft x 2ft,20watt. I have seen panels put out less and are 3 times as big! There is really no wrong answer as long as you have MORE POWER!! Roof,Roof! Mark

68 Haffy
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

If your not going to use the 12 volt batteries on a daily basis a 10 watt panel will maintain the batteries and do a slow recharge after draining them.

This is a good style rated for marine use at a great price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-Watt-Solar-Panel ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/BP-Solarex-MSX8-sol ... dZViewItem

If you plan on using the 12v system a lot you want to look at 100-150 watts minimum. You will also need a solar charge controller, which ever way you go.

Miles
Twebba

Post by Twebba »

Thanks a bunch guys! This is all very helpful!!! :D

M Wehrman: Do you recall the brand-name of your panel?
MarkPinz: That SDP site is just what I was looking for! That's very cool. 8)

I plan to eventually run a bunch of stuff off the 12V system.
If everything works out right, I'll end up with one of those "Old meets New" expedition vehicles with a computer used for GPS, WiFi and "Quake":twisted: , not to mention satellite radio and other standards like CB and a cell phone charger (and/or whatever else ends up in the generic 12V outlet).

The marine route also looks like a good avenue for research.
I'll probably be starting on this project in early June.

BTW - I live in the foothills in Colorado and believe it or not we get a ridiculous amount of sun as well (something like 320 days a year).
Who knows? Maybe since we're a that much closer to the sun, the solar panels will really 'shine'. 8) :wink:

Thanks again! :D
~ TW ~
'73 710K
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

All the above just lends to the arguement that the way to go with a winch is the hand winches like the Turfor. No need for the mess of adding batteries, chargers or worrying about overheating winch components. A source for a cable puller has been found here in the US. www.offroadrecovery.com carries the Black Rat Tuff-pull line, simple to use and they always work regardless of wether the truck is upright or on its side, drowned in water/mud.
Mike
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

Mike ,that puller is real handy unless you forget it! :roll: :P :P ,Mark

68 Haffy
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

Mark
I have been looking for a place to mount it on the truck. I have seen them mounted on the inside of the rear door but that is really the last place I want to put more weight. I am thinking the place where T-Lo's bumper is meant to have an electric winch would work well. I just need to put down the beer and pick up the welder.
I still think you need to come down to Tucson with me this weekend. The trails down there were made for a 712. This is a great chance to show all the other clubs in AZ that they bought the wrong trucks (one of my favorite past times).
Mike
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

Mike which model did you end up with, the 3500lb or 7700lb? The 3500lb seems to look like a good size without going to heavy.

Miles
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

I went with the 3,500#.
Mike
wd8cdh

Post by wd8cdh »

Rather than drawing heavy loads from the lower battery and using an equalizer to bring them back in ballance, I use an additional 12 volt battery and CHARGE it with the equalizer.
Ron Schroeder
WD8CDH
'73 710M