New tires

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Hawkeye Pinz

New tires

Post by Hawkeye Pinz »

I've had my Pinz for a little over a month now and know that the stock Maloyas are REALLY bad. I want to go with new radials, and I want to use the original wheels. What size tire should I go with? I'm sure this has been discussed at length before, but this is new territory for me. Thanks for any help.
MarkPinz
United States of America

Post by MarkPinz »

Here's some info collected from others on the forum put together last time I went tire shopping. Currently I'm using BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM's. It really depends on the terrain your driving on which way you want to go for tire choice. Had been running Interco's but they are a bit aggressive for street driving & noisy. The BF's are better grip for street driving & good on harder desert surfaces.

Official sizes: 235 / 85 - 16 (narrow) 255 / 85 - 16 (taller) Value size: 265 / 75 - 16 (common truck size*)

Max size on stock rim: 285 / 75 - 16

Good offroad tires for Pinz:

Interco: (approved on stock rim) 265 / 75 - 16 (little wider same OD)
Street PSI = 30lbs. 7 PSI to bag for offroad

B-127 boggers 33 x 10.5 - 16 (used on 712)
LTB - 08 34 x 10.5 - 16

BF Goodrich: Mud-Terrain T/A KM

Dunlop: Mud Rovers

Goodyear: Wrangler MT/R

Yokohama: Geolander M/T+

Firestone: Destination M/T

Bolt pattern: Pinz 5 on 160mm (6.3"). Back spacing is 6 5/8"
Just get in and go....
75pinz

Couldn't be happier

Post by 75pinz »

With the 7 LTBs I purchased from off road toy store. 34x10.50x16. Much improved over the Maloyas off and on road. Wouldn't say they will last forever but they were cheap and do a nice job
STPPINZ

Post by STPPINZ »

It sure changes things when you need 7. I had the BFG Muds on my 710 and they were awesome. I think they are one of the best muds around. But for my 712 I will be testing the interco stuff out and those LTB's. I figure with 6 tires on the ground with more rubber and surface area you can get away with a different set up...
Last edited by STPPINZ on Wed May 10, 2006 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wimps Need Not Apply
dnaPinz

Post by dnaPinz »

I run the 285 BFG Mud's on my K. They are a very streetable tire, not very noisy and great traction in the winter. Offroad, I have no complaints.

I have been thinking about switching to the Interco's, but if it ain't broke...

Darin
jgeesen

Post by jgeesen »

I need new tires this year. I'm less concerned with the size than the performance. I know I'll have to sacrafice some performance to get decent treadwear - I don't trailer my truck. I have about a four hour drive to get to Kentucky - that's where the treadwear comes in. I want an MT with the tread that wraps aroud the sidewall some.
Any links to sites with good offroad tire info? Best place to buy? Suggestions?
My first pick in size would be 255/85, but that appears to be an odd size.
thanx
John Geesen

Post by 2012 »

i've gone thru 3 sets of bfg mudders and 2 sets of swamper radials on other trucks. swampers are the by far the best traction i've ever experienced. like on a frozen lake - i couldn't even do donuts. and they drive xlnt on the road while they're new, which isn't long, tho. but maybe that short night of bliss is worth it.

bfg mudders are my 2nd choice. when i'm all street, i use bfg all terrain, which SUCK offroad. so now that i'm in orlando for a spell i won't be offroading - just driving defensively... quite the adventure in itself!
Last edited by 2012 on Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

Glad to find someone else who finally agrees with me about the bfg at's. I had them on my Durango and hated them. They lasted forever but had absolutely no traction. I am now running bfg mt's on the Durango and what a difference. On the pinz I use the Trxus MT's. Those things are tough and I have gotten very good mileage considering it is an MT. I don't think the bfg tires would hold up to the way that I use my Pinz. I have told many who run them to air them up to over 50lbs on the highway. The 285/75's are rated to 80psi but 52 seems to be a good compromise between ride and longer life. I do air them down on the trails acording to trail conditions.
check out the interco website www.intercotire.com for available tire sizes.
Mike
STPPINZ

Post by STPPINZ »

I will be putting on the LTB's on my 712 when I have the cash to do so but the only reason is the price. If I had the coin I would put on the BFG Muds on again. There is a creek in Canyon lands that made me a beliver in them. Pulling a TJ out that was up the doors in thick soupy mud and even with 100 feet of tow strap I was still in the same stuff and they performed great.
Wimps Need Not Apply

Post by 2012 »

stppinz - have you used ltb's before? are they ok on the road? do you know how they compare to the radials?
STPPINZ

Post by STPPINZ »

2012 wrote:stppinz - have you used ltb's before? are they ok on the road? do you know how they compare to the radials?
I know some on this board use them and I knew some one that had them on a XJ and all like them. WIth that size of tire I don't really think that bias vs radial really matter much. Especially on a fine sports car like the Pinz....
Wimps Need Not Apply
MarkPinz
United States of America

Post by MarkPinz »

Driving my K on the street with LTB's was deafening at higher speeds sort of like the sound of a prop driven aircraft. The vehicle seemed to drift around as well not a very safe feeling navigating traffic in LA.
Just get in and go....

Post by 2012 »

that's what my tsl radials started to do after a while, a little, but one of them self-destructed on the way from wi to bldr before i got a chance to hear them in their very worn state. they were always pretty quiet. i'm thinking bfg mudders will be better on my 712 amb. i wonder how big i can go.
jgeesen

Post by jgeesen »

I posted this same question over on the Pirate board - getting some interesting feedback.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthre ... ost5580181
mjnims

Post by mjnims »

jgeesen
what you forgot to mention to the guys on the pirate board is that you do not have an interior bead on your stock rims. They are assuming that you are running a traditional DOT rim. When the tires are deflated below 20 psi on the stock pinz rim and any side action is applied the tires just slide off. I would guess that we average one lost bead per outing on the stock rims. As for your comment about the sidewalls between the bfg's and the trxus it would depend on the model of trxus tire. Those who have seen the way that I use my tires can attest that the sidewalls on the trxus are very tough. I would not use them the way I do if I had a bfg tire on. I am also running the widened steel rims that CWR sells. I have run them as low as 5 psi without loosing a bead.
Mike