Split-boot (actual users only - please)

Old forum posts ending on Oct 21 '09

Moderator: TechMOGogy

Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

When the cam end plugs fall out, there is a loss of pressure :shock:
This also leads to piston siezure due to the lack of lubrication, the other(and easier) common cause off low pressure is a broken oil pump mounting bolt/and blown out pump to block gasket :wink: :wink:
Get a manual test guage to verify oil pressure
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Wayne Roberts

Split Boot

Post by Wayne Roberts »

My truck came with one on it (passenger front wheel) when I picked it up. Sean at ET had said that it was leaking and he changed it before delivery. With all of the discussion of these boots, I decided to go and look at mine. I needed to adjust the brakes anyway and this was good motivation to get off my butt.

As I jacked up the first wheel (driver front) I saw a slight stream of something leaking from around the boot on the other side. Upon inspection it was water and did seem to leak from the area where the boot clamps to the axle. I have been in some rather deep water around a week ago but the truck had not moved since. I could not find anyware that the water fell onto the boot so I amasuming that it came out of the boot. Upon inspection of the boot no holes or tears were noticed and clamps were tight. RVT was coming out below the boot and apeared to still be sealed.

Please pardon my ignorance, if the boot is letting water in, where is it going? I have looked at the parts book and I can not figure if it will flow down into the wheel hub, back into the diff, or is the area supposed to be dry and sealed at each end? I know that the next step will be to inspect the fluids, changing any that look milky.

If the boot is leaking, what is the amount of labor to replace it with a solid boot. I do most of my own work and am fairly adept but have yet to try this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ms1223

Post by ms1223 »

Wayne, when I drained my leaking boot I thought it was water as I had been running some creeks in Ky. Lightningpinz gave me some seal removal info. (differential leak post) It sounds like a project getting the axle off. I just wished the leak was on the split boot and not the factory one.
Swifty in Illinois
Swifty 72 710M